Thread: Vanos repair cost

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0

Vanos repair cost

Just got quoted $400 for labor to replace the vanos seals, good price?

My Cars
    G60
    Assuming double vanos? If so I think that sounds really good. I did it myself and the parts alone if I remember correctly were about $190'ish which included the anti rattle kit.

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    Yes it is double vanos, $400 is just for the labor, parts are seperate

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    Save yourself some money. Head to http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html buy the parts, learn how to do the work yourself. If you have half a brain and can change spark plugs, you can do this. While you are there make sure you clean inferior to the vanos cover. Replace the valve cover gasket and all the rubber bits that eventually turned to plastic.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Billable time should be around three hours. If they called 3.5, and charge over $100per... there's your number.

/.randy

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoO View Post
    Save yourself some money. Head to http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html buy the parts, learn how to do the work yourself. If you have half a brain and can change spark plugs, you can do this. While you are there make sure you clean inferior to the vanos cover. Replace the valve cover gasket and all the rubber bits that eventually turned to plastic.
    +1

I just purchased all my gaskets at the dealer for right around 140. I bought every thing Beisans recomended. Add another 60 for their kit and I'm at 200. No special tools and a peace of mind.

Out of couriousity, what symtoms are you experiencing?
    Last edited by HeliHover; 09-18-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    01' 2.5i Rdstr'
    Did mine last month.Same deal as "HeliHover",I bought everything recommended on the Besian web site.
    The only two problems I ran into were the vanos piston cover on the exhaust side and a little metal trim plate on the valve cover.
    1. I had to get a set of 90 deg needle nose pliers to remove the lower (exhaust ??) piston cap
    2. There is a metal wiring cover plate on the back of the valve cover that I broke off, it just holds/routes the coil pak wiring
    It took me twice as long to disassemble as it did to put everything back together. Bonus points because replacing the valve cover gasket eliminated an oil seap I had.

My Cars
    See Signature
    Another option, order a rebuilt unit from DrVanos and just do the basic swap yourself.

http://drvanos.com/index.php?option=...&id=2&Itemid=3
    Last edited by MrHahn; 09-19-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    My daily driver: 2000 Z3 2.8 Coupe
    Wife's daily driver: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    When i asked at a local place, they quoted me $250 (excluding parts). Vanos kit is $50 (no anti rattle). If you add the VCG also with it, it comes to $400. Seems not bad.

I did it by my self.