RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 528 e39 enegine roughness pls help no error codes via inpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,

528 e39 enegine roughness pls help no error codes via inpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi
    first of all forgive me if i do any mistakes as i m new here, first time i post

I have a 528ia single vanos m52b28 wonder if any1 could help me
    cold start, engine shakes a bit but very minimum, drive attitude ok, powerful.
    after driving in a heavy traffic,start stop, about 30 minutes lack of power, vibration gets minimum to nothing.
    injector rail pressure 3bars, with vacum removed 3.5bars
    vanos has been resealed, but has some actual and horizontal playing, could this cost misfire?
    maf sensor if i disconnect with engine worm, not able to drive the car, seance i shift into drive it shakes and dying
    in neutral ok.
    poor gas mileage overall
    i suspect maf, or fuel pressure regulator
    pls let me know your thoughts
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 09-03-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: image code present

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I suspect you have a large intake leak. You need to have a smoke test to ascertain this, with a professional smoke machine - spraying flammables does not work.

Don't disconnect sensors with the engine running. If you want to play the MAF-disconnect game, shut the ignition off, disconnect sensor, then restart. The "test" is absolutely inconclusive,though.

AND:
    You said you have no codes? What about the codes from disconnecting your MAF ??? If you have INPA, then go watch fuel mixtures: MAF, O2 sensors. And get that smoke test.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    3 Bar is normal pressure for the FPR, so I would look elsewhere like Chris has stated: Vacuum leak. You can do a visual inspection prior to taking it in to a shop. The air intake boots love to rip after 10+ years of service, so look inside and between the ribs of that black rubber boot. Also inspect all the small vacuum lines for cracks ect. as the small one like to split.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    Hi there

Thank you so much foryour reply i will do so as i thought so, but i m not so sure if i have anyleaks as i did removed and cleaned icv throttle, inspect throttle boot and icvtubes everything seems to be ok, also I have changed the crank shaftventilation valve with the tubes
    O2 sensors 1 of them in bank 1 seems to be a bit lazy itjust sit for long time when engine is warm at 74.16 unless i give some gas thenis changing values, with maf disconnected yes i get error in inpa
    in inpa particular at engine roughness i mainly cylinder 1,5, 6 rough with cold start and when wormthose cylinders are ok and the rest shows lightly rough
    spark plugs not black
    I ll see how can I add some print screens from live data
    Or I ll try to send you private mail with Attachments
    Thanks a lot

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The oxygen sensor should fluxuate between .1 to 1 volt. It may even jump up to as high a 5v when cold. Also if you have more then 200k km, the oxygen sensor have reached thier service life.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    ok i will write the values of inpa manualy and this is with enegine worm
    \analog 1
    rpm 776
    total air mass flow sestem 15.25 kg
    air used in icv !15.25
    enegine load !11.53

tp position 0.66

analog 2
    feul controll indicator 1,2: 0.00
    adaptation value add 1: -11.00
    adaptation value add 2: -3.00
    adaptation value multyply add 1: -7.00
    adptation value multyply add 2: -1.00

enegine roughness:
    cylinder 1 :0.00
    cylinder 2 :0.00
    cylinder 3 367.00
    cylinder 4 0.00
    cylinder 5 203.00
    cylinder 6 117:00

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You said that you cleaned the ICV? It is really dirty just looking at the values you posted.

As for the roughness, cylinder 3 is a tad high. I would look at vacuum leaks, as this can cause rough values as you are sparking lean and there is a high load at idle.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    only thing is that in Hungary i never heart of smoke machine i know the device but people here not using it unfortunately i will see how can i check, maybe i have to create my own one, and i will update

Thanks

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Good luck with that project. I have made several tools, and that is one I will not attempt to make. Talk to a BMW shop and ask how they find the intake leaks. I would even look at the oil filter cap, for even that being loose can cause a vacuum leak.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'd advise changing spark plugs; use NGK BKR6EQUP. When you do this, swap the coils from #3 and #5 to other cylinders.

Your fuel trims indicate that the DME is trying to REMOVE fuel. Clean that ICV and change plugs, swap coils.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    Hi guys thank you so much for your help
    icv i have cleaned icv
    checked intek manifold boot an is in a nice condition
    tubes to icc and ccv all good
    the two tubes to fpr and purge valve (tank ventilation) all good
    spark plugs new
    case exist
    vanos housing gasket might have an issue,as is wet around the aluminum, but can this cost this issue?
    or the vanos piston as there is small actual and horizontal playing , needs a new rattle ring.
    checked the oil cap and the outside of the ring totally dry, clean outside around
    could be a blocked cat? how can i check it, one way a hole b4 and after test pressure if is the same, or to cut and visual look, can't be anotherway? like a way with inpa????
    another question i have >are there anz more vacuum points to check and i have missed them?
    i also checked the dipstick for leaks or wet outside all good
    inte manifold gasket to the head i don t think that it can go bad, right?
    Dorin by the way you are German, in Germany how the people do vacuum test???????

Thanks a lot guys waiting for your replies and hopefully you can help me ending with this nightmare

- - - Updated - - -

another thing i would like to ask, can any1 provide me maf resistance values between 4 pins????

- - - Updated - - -

and also swapping the coils is the same thing,another thing is that some of my coils are leaking, i red in some other threads that if coils leaking b4 chaining them change the dme otherwise the new1 will leak, but i have checked all inputs, outputs and grounds and all seems to be as they should, btw resistance between pins 1 and 3 is 4 ohms and under on all6

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Only time I would change the intake gasket is if you removed the intake.
    VANOS should not have any bearing on idle unless it happens to be stuck. Then you would get a fault code under INPA as: Jammed VANOS.
    If you think your cat is blocked, you will need to do a back pressure test on the exhaust.
    As for the vacuum points, you seem to have found them all.

As Chris put it in the past "Darin isn't German, just a person living in Germany". Here we just ask for the intake to be pressure tested.

Do you have a Bently shop manual? You can download the PDF version with-out the wiring diagrams, just google "bmw e39 bentley manual pdf"
    It may take sometime to find one, but it is out there.

When you say some of your coil are leaking, do you mean there is oil on them? If so, it is time for a new valve cover gasket and profile gasket.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    Hi there
    First of all hope you had a nice weekend, second, yes you were right, i have a vacuum leak, i have bowen 2,3 cigarettes with my mouth throw the break pump port on the manifold and seen smoke coming from the valve cover were cylinder 5, 6 is
    question, does this link to a valve cover crack, or something more?
    while manifold full of smoke, removed oil cap and inside was full as well what you suggest just the valve cover or might be a head cylinder crack or valve seals??????????????????????
    pls you lights

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Start by replacing the valve cover gasket set and 15 rubber grommets. Then get a smoke test. Your lungs cannot get smoke to some areas, and these places are likely to have bigger leaks than you've found so far.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    Hi Chris good morning and have a nice week
    Thanks for your reply
    the valve cover gasket i have changed it a couple of months ago the smoke i ve seen clearlycame out from the coils 5,6 cylinder
    my question is first of all is that normal if i force air,smoke from the intake manifold to get into valve cover as i worry not to be a crack on the head cylinder or thevalve seals
    i will make again a smoke test first by blowing a lot of smoke and then i will force some more air with the compressor, but first pls answer my question as i worry not to be a head cylinder
    i have also realized that after engine running if i turn itoff and open the oil cap i see some smoke coming out instantly.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would double check the valve cover gasket. Did you replace the two profile gaskets that goes around the spark plug recesses? They too get hard and you can get vacuum leaks from there too.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    hi there yes i did that as well

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Did you put any RTV around the half-moon areas in the back of the head? I have had the gasket get twisted before and not seal properly on those motors.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    no ididn t that make sense i will check it out thanks a lot but is it normal the intake to comunicate with the valve cover?????????

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, and it does it through the CCV. The motor has to pull the gasses from the crank case and burn them out by seperation. The CCV seperates the solids (Oil) from the Gasses (unburnt fuel). It pulls the gasses into the intake using vacuum. If there is a hole in the CCV or valve cover system, then you will get a vacuum leak.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    Thanks a lot dorin ownestly i ll check again gaskets etc and i i will post updates thanks

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,

no leaks, whats next???????????/

hi guys able to performed the vacuum test, but no leaks, how? done my own smoke machine with glow plug and baby oil, produce lot of smoke, but no luck, so what you suggest???????????? by the way 0,66 is the tps value maybe maf? o2 sensors ngk-ntk if that helps.
    waiting for your replies.

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    ok update fpr 3.5 bars at all times with ignition in position 2, with engine running, and connected or disconnected the vacuum hose of the fpr, feul pressure is the same at all times shouldn t be increased when u remove the vacuum???????????????

My Cars
    1998 528, 500sl 1990,
    another thing is that ifi disconnect the maf readings in inpa gets back to normal

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The reason why it goes back to normal, the ECU starts to use a standard fuel map. Next, normally the FPR will not really fluxuate if you remove the vacuum at idle much. It only matters when you rev up the motor. So I would check vacuum if possilbe.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast