Thread: Is this the correct clutch line

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster

Is this the correct clutch line

Clutch Line.jpg

Is this the correct clutch line for a 99 MZ3? I thought some hard line was needed along with the hose.
    Former Fleet
    1984 BMW 318i (long gone - started the addiction )

1989 Chevy S10 Blazer (4.3l V6, 4x4)
    1993 Chevy Cavalier (3.4l V6, 5spd.)
    1999 VW Golf GTI GLX
    2003 Subaru Forester

Current Garage

2006 Honda Odyssey (keep the wife and kids happy)
    2009 BMW 328i xDrive
    1999 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster
    That is the correct line. There is a small hard line between that in your pic and the slave, but unless you strip the fittings, you don't need to replace it.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    If the inside diameter (orifice) of one (1) end is smaller than the other, then it would be a correct OE replacement.

If you wanted to delete the "clutch delay valve" (eliminate the restriction) and do away with the short hard-line and associated bracket, then this is the hose I use as an alternative. I believe it's the 3.0 rdstr hose (used without its separate CDV).

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    What do people think about using a stainless steel line instead of rubber, and how hard is it to replace? I recall there is some issue with bleeding, or am I confused?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    What do people think about using a stainless steel line instead of rubber, and how hard is it to replace? I recall there is some issue with bleeding, or am I confused?
    There used to be a problem with getting one that fit (correct fittings at both ends) but I think that's pretty much resolved. No real reason not to, though some Coupe owners felt there was an increase in noise transmitted to the interior (you know how those Coupe fanatics are : OH WAIT...)...

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I had a SS line for my car but it had the fitting issues Randy described so I ordered the 3.0 line that Randy showed above. Perfect fit without the delay.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    I believe this hose is long enough to get rid of the hard line. It is Rogue Engineering's replacement line. I don't mind the CDV, but wanted SS to help with having to push the clutch to the floor when the car gets up to temperature.

Now the question is to tackle this myself or have my shop install it. (Paging all Chicago area members, check out the Facebook page)
    Former Fleet

1999 VW Golf GTI GLX
    2003 Subaru Forester

Current Garage

2009 BMW 328i xDrive
    1999 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    I believe this hose is long enough to get rid of the hard line. It is Rogue Engineering's replacement line. I don't mind the CDV, but wanted SS to help with having to push the clutch to the floor when the car gets up to temperature.
    Now the question is to tackle this myself or have my shop install it...
    According to this post, some clutch lines do away with the hard line.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=12
    That was the case with the UUC line that I got like this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=12
    It was installed by a local indie BMW shop in less than an hour while I waited, for $68. You could ask the Werk Shop in Libertyville.

Edit: After reading later posts, I am not sure my shop did away with with hard section of line. They returned my old soft line, but no hard line. And I have raised the car to see what they did.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 08-27-2014 at 07:28 PM.

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster

Now the question is to tackle this myself or have my shop install it. (Paging all Chicago area members, check out the Facebook page)
    I have the exact same line and it does not replace the short hard line on the slave. It is used with it.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Also, that hard line tends to break during removal on older/higher mileage/weather cars iirc

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Also, that hard line tends to break during removal on older/higher mileage/weather cars iirc
    Another reason to go with the 3.0 line.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    There is no good reason to not convert to the 3.0 line. Pedal feel and clutch engagement is much more consistent. As one mechanic once said to me, the CDV was meant for people who can't drive manual cars properly and had no business being in the "Ultimate Driving Machine". He likened to a lawyer mandated device.

If you are going to spend the time and effort to replace the line, why not use the one the car should've left the factory with?

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    FYI- On my '98 Z3 M Roadster S52 I used the rubber flex hose from the 2001 - BMW - Z3 Roadster - M54 - L6 - 3.0L – GAS Z3 2.5l, 3.0L
    CLUTCH HOSE #21526753766 from Tomkinson. It was a single rubber CDV delete hose and fit perfectly. Great clutch feel now.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    There is no good reason to not convert to the 3.0 line. Pedal feel and clutch engagement is much more consistent. As one mechanic once said to me, the CDV was meant for people who can't drive manual cars properly and had no business being in the "Ultimate Driving Machine". He likened to a lawyer mandated device.

If you are going to spend the time and effort to replace the line, why not use the one the car should've left the factory with?
    Just curious - why is the non-restriction hose OK from the factory for the 3.0, but not the M cars? It seems like if BMW felt the M needed the restriction, they'd feel the same about the 3.0.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
    Just curious - why is the non-restriction hose OK from the factory for the 3.0, but not the M cars? It seems like if BMW felt the M needed the restriction, they'd feel the same about the 3.0.
    As Randy mentioned before, the 3.0 has a real CDV unit separate from the hose. On the M, a hose with reduced orifice at one end is used to emulate what a CDV does. It's not that the 3.0 doesn't have CDV; it's just not done with the hose.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I know the CDV is a sacrificial cow of BMW-land, and the M boys are really disappointed that they don't have one to blame. But really. The CDV has a flapper valve acting as a one-way restrictor with a bleed hole, the orifice, of around .040-.050". Size depending on the exact model/engine. The M hose has a smaller end, true. It's around .080". That's four times the size of the much maligned real CDV.

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I know the CDV is a sacrificial cow of BMW-land, and the M boys are really disappointed that they don't have one to blame. But really. The CDV has a flapper valve acting as a one-way restrictor with a bleed hole, the orifice, of around .040-.050". Size depending on the exact model/engine. The M hose has a smaller end, true. It's around .080". That's four times the size of the much maligned real CDV.
    Though I wonder how many of the CDV problems are actually just aging, delaminating hoses... I know that was my case... thought I had a CDV, and given the symptoms, it seemed "obvious" that I had one... only to get under the Z to replace the hose and CDV to find there wasn't one. What was in fact the problem was the hose, which had split internally, allowing the fluid into mesh layer, slowly over time delaminating the inner rubber layer from the outer one, so that when one pushed on the clutch, fluid was pumped into the delamination, which pushed the inner rubber layer inward, constraining the passageway, restricting the flow of the fluid to the slave... took some time slicing up the old hose to find it, but there it was: a section of the hose, almost at the top end, about an inch long and about half way around, that had delaminated and was as wet along the cords as the inside of the hose. [This is a common cause for brake problems with aircooled VWs and aging hoses, and was what had me at least looking, wondering, if such hadn't happened on the clutch hose... and sure enough, another rubber hose bits the dust.]

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    So, if I understand properly, the OEM 3.0 hose will replace the OEM ///M hose and the small hardline cleanly and without the OEM restriction at one end of the hose (which duplicates the functionality of the CDV). What about the bleed procedure?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    My Indie just unbolted the slave cylinder, let it hand down, opened the bleeder and pumped fluid into the clutch master cylinder until no bubbles came out of the bleeder. Closed the bleeder, bolted the slave back in. Took about a minute.

Marty

My Cars
    06 Z4m 07 Titan 08 MCSa
    Just did mine with this part from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271574486039

Seller was local to me and shipped it quickly.

I had100k mi and a flare nut wrench did the job w/o rounding the nuts so no hard line was needed. As for bleeding, I did the reverse method with a new oil can($7) I just pumped half the oil can, tightened the bleeder and pumped the clutch a few times and then pumped the rest of the oil can in. No need to remove the slave cylinder or special tools. Literally took 5 min to bleed it and about 15 min to pull/install the line....exactly the time it would have took me to drive to a shop

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Did you keep the hard line that was already there, or remove it and replaced with the new SS line?
    Former Fleet

1999 VW Golf GTI GLX
    2003 Subaru Forester

Current Garage

2009 BMW 328i xDrive
    1999 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster
    Did you keep the hard line that was already there, or remove it and replaced with the new SS line?
    If your are talking about the small hard line off the slave cylinder, you can't just take it out and install the re stainless line. The hard line has 2 male ends and the stainless steel line has 2 female ends. You need to have the hard line installed. From what I've seen the cdv or restriction in the mz3 is the smaller opening in the end of the factory rubber hose, not the hard line. Some aftermarket stainless hoses come with an attached hard line. In those cases the hard line is removed also. But not with the rogue engineering one.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
    Former Fleet

1999 VW Golf GTI GLX
    2003 Subaru Forester

Current Garage

2009 BMW 328i xDrive
    1999 BMW M Roadster