Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Key - What is the real story?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Replacement Key - What is the real story?

I lost my only working key (the gray valet). In order to mow my grass, I now push my Roadster from one spot on the yard to another. It's not ideal.

I've been reading online about replacement keys for my car and similar models, but I cannot find any sort of definitive answer to my question: What is the most economical way to obtain a working key for my 98 M Roadster (other than finding my lost key, which I certainly will not do until after I've paid for an expensive replacement).

Some people say they paid their dealer $70 total for a working key. Other people paid hundreds of dollars. Other people say they successfully disabled the P.I.T.A. security system entirely, now starting their cars with an ordinary key like we used to use in the good old days when keys cost a couple bucks and worked just fine.

What's the reality?

Do I need to pay the $280 in extortion which my local dealership quoted for the key plus programming? Is there a better way? I'm a poor BMW owner.

Thanks

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    I just ordered a spare key today from the dealer, $47 with tax. not the valet key, but the small spare one.
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    i have purchased one of each key from the dealer (lighted, valet, emergency key). the valet keys were only $70/each and the lighted key was over $200. The emergency key was $60 but i have never used it and only ended up with it because the dealer ordered the wrong part number. you should only need to take your registration and ID to the dealer for proof.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Thanks Bcar. I never had a key that was smaller than the regular and valet keys. My car is older so maybe it didn't come with the smaller spare. I'm curious, though, does that small, spare key actually start your car? Or is it only for doors and trunk?

- - - Updated - - -

Moonvan, first of all, very nice car! Thanks for the information. It's interesting that the valet key is so much cheaper. Maybe I will order two of those instead. Then I'll have a spare.

Since my valet key (which I lost) unlocked the trunk automatically whenever I unlocked the doors, I don't see much difference. I guess the valet key won't open the glove box, but I never lock that anyway.

Or am I missing something
    Last edited by tsklan; 07-14-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong place.

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    The small spare key will start and run the car but its just plastic so I wouldn't rely on it very long. I have used Valet keys for the last 5 years and have only had to use the lighted key for the hatch when I had the battery unplugged. The first valet key i ordered was black but the second one was gray so if you order a new valet key I'm curious to see what color it is.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Why not just go to your local dealer and see what they charge?
    Seems crazy to stop using a car because you don't want to pay for a key.

The dealer here in Knoxville TN wanted $87 for the standard key and $94 for the lighted key.
    I bought the lighted one and then asked about a corporate discount my employer gets...and got it for $48.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    There are 4 different types of keys.

Lighted Key - most expensive of the bunch
    Black headed regular key will work just like the one above but will cost MUCH less.
    Grey headed Valet key
    Plastic emergency key
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    For a Z (2000 M Coupe), is there any option to create a 'switchblade' like key (think audi/vw) or a key where the lock/unlock is on the key itself, rather than having a key with a light, and then a keyfob with lock and unlock?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, Techno
    ACE hardware will make duplicates of the keys here...much easier to do it before one is lost...but maybe if you get the cheaper one, you can make a more reliable one as a duplicate.

My Cars
    '10 ML350, '14 A4
    Ask your dealership how much they charge for the regular black key (non-lighted). As already stated, you have to show proof of ownership via registration and ID.

And if I remember correctly, only a total of 10-keys may be reproduced for your VIN.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Cheapest way to get a full set of keys is to get a dealer key, have a locksmith copy that key a bunch of times with eBay blanks, and use an AK90 programmer off eBay for the rest of the keys. There's also someone on the forums who claims they can copy keys and do programming, if you send in a key and some modules from your car. But the first thing I would do is get a black headed key from the dealer.
    Last edited by DYL; 07-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    I had ordered an new lighted key about 8 years ago and I think I paid about $150 from the dealership, which is the only place you can get a new from.

I just paid $300 dollars for a new fob for my E60 M5 because my 15 month old decided it was better off getting flushed down the toilet. And the $300 doesn't include programming in order for it to work with the Comfort Access.

Just order a new key. A chiropractor will cost you more in the long run.

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe
    I paid $80 plus tax for a new, lighted master key for my 2000 M Coupe at BMW Northwest (Tacoma, WA) about a week ago. The higher price of $280ish is being quoted by a parts person who is too lazy or ignorant to know you don't have keyless entry. Show up with your registration and drivers license and buy the damn key! You'll be able to pick it up from the dealer within 48 hours.

My Cars
    '00 M Roadster
    Local BMW dealer in Charleston quoted me about $67, and about $75 for the one with the flashlight. I went big and got the lighted one. No keyless entry on my Roadster.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    You have an ///M Rdstr, and you'd rather push it around the yard than buy a key to drive it?

Things sure have changed since we bought ours; I still envision these as $50,000.00 cars (if you bought one new and paid the taxes, more like $52k) so I can't wrap my head around holding out on buying a key, even if it did cost $100.00.

As a licensed independent service tech, I ordered a new "black" key for a 318ti and only had to show a copy of my driver's license to purchase it__granted, the dealer KNOWS ME__but the key only cost like $42 or $47 and worked right out of the envelope.

And yes to the comment above: there are only a TOTAL__including the four (4) delivered new with the ///M versions__of TEN (10) keys available for any of these cars. Once the ten (10) keys have been lost, then you replace the locksets, EWS, and perhaps a couple other modules. Now this, I could see holding off on, but only long enough to set aside the not unsubstantial amount of money required to fix it__perhaps a suitable punishment for being so repeatedly careless with the keys.

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    My m coupe only came with one lighted key. I need to make a trip to the local dealership and request another, I'll have to ask how many keys I have allotted left.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Once you have used up all 10 key transponder entries in the EWS, you have the choice of buying a new EWS from BMW or having keys made with a AK90 programmer.

You don't have to change the physical lock cylinders.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    Once you have used up all 10 key transponder entries in the EWS, you have the choice of buying a new EWS from BMW or having keys made with a AK90 programmer.

You don't have to change the physical lock cylinders.
    Well, I hope that I never have to find out! I know on the E-46 versions, people sell the (used) modules and locksets together.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Well, I hope that I never have to find out! I know on the E-46 versions, people sell the (used) modules and locksets together.
    They sell the keys, lock cylinders and EWS together because you previously otherwise wouldn't be able to get matching transponders. You needed the transponders programmed into the EWS at the factory, and that meant using the keys that came with the transponders, which meant changing or re-keying the locks.

Now that the AK90 programmer is available, you can extract or change the codes from your EWS and write them into unprogrammed transponders.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I don't have one of those yet, probably won't unless I work on more E-46 M3s. I just did a little reading up on it, so it's good that somethings available for those that do need it. Thanks for the heads up.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    AK 90 will do a lot of things. Ews 1, 2, and 3

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    I was told the plastic key was for the 3 lockable glove boxes by the PO, I had no idea that key would start the car. I have been leaving in the ash/coin tray, often leaving it parked with the top down! I was surprised when I started the car with it today.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by lennium View Post
    I was told the plastic key was for the 3 lockable glove boxes by the PO, I had no idea that key would start the car. I have been leaving in the ash/coin tray, often leaving it parked with the top down! I was surprised when I started the car with it today.
    I keep the plastic keys for the black and gray cars in my wallet; I only needed one once, when Sue walked off with the keys at an autocross__WHO takes their keys out of the car at an event (I've always left them in the ignition)?

I have to order a plastic one for the blue Coupe, as that one (and the Valet key) hasn't survived any of the last three (3) ownership transfers. I'm hoping it won't be any more noticeable__to my butt__residing with the other plastic keys...

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lennium View Post
    When I got mine the parts guy at BMW told me it wouldn't start the car but luckily there was a service guy nearby that overheard him and told me it would actually start the car. I took it home and sure enough it started the car but I am still very Leary of using for anything more than an emergency.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Does anyone have any recent UK key experience?
    My roadster only came with one key (lighted but presumably the original battery as I wouldn't have guessed it was lighted until the little bit of plastic dropped out and I noticed the LED) which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Can't be faffed with eBay blanks to be honest, but given my nearest dealer is Park Lane where no doubt *everything* costs seven squillion pounds, I'm keen for any recent info out there.

Thanks!

Caroline
    (noob, hopeless, dating an epic petrol head but trying to sort my own car out myself!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast