RM European Auto Parts

Thread: AC belt on 318i 1994 question

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i

AC belt on 318i 1994 question

Sorry in advance for such a 'rookie' question.
    I must try to do my own repairs for $ reasons. The car is wonderful!
    I need to replace the broken AC belt. I have bought it.
    I know I need to take off the belt closest to the radiator. No problem. Second grooved belt is the AC belt. There is an idler/tensioner that the belt runs on. Is the AC compressor able to be adjusted like the power steering pump for tension or is the tensioner what I need to adjust? Bit scary. I can't afford to screw anything up. Mother-in-law arrives in a couple of days. MUST HAVE AC! LOL

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...photos-t83653/

You should be able to figure out the rest from there. Not too complex, the ac has a similar tensioner.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacbw View Post
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...photos-t83653/

You should be able to figure out the rest from there. Not too complex, the ac has a similar tensioner.
    The photos do not show any AC pump. Is the tensioner what I need to adjust or is the AC pump mounted in a way that I can tighten the belt?

My Cars
    E36'95 318I E92'08 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by niff View Post
    The photos do not show any AC pump. Is the tensioner what I need to adjust or is the AC pump mounted in a way that I can tighten the belt?
    here is a diagram of your A/C belt tensioner set-up.....all you need to do is LOOSEN the bolt ( #4) and that will release the tension to remove the belt,when you have the new belt attached you need to make sure the tension on the belt is "TAUGHT" when you tighten the bolt back on....hope this helps.

Last edited by 318isam; 07-16-2014 at 01:09 AM.