Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW VS Lotus

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I see this thread's gone slightly past the original question, but I'll add my 2 cents, for kicks.

I'm a Bimmer guy, have owned many, and worked on thousands. And a couple of years ago, I owned a Super 7 clone...does that count? Had a Suzuki motorcycle engine, 180 hp, 900 pounds wet. Big fat slicks, fastest damned autox car in Hawaii, by far. In fact, it was too damned fast, and demoralized everyone else, I sold it, and kept the E28 (2500 lbs, 300 hp, even bigger slicks)

I also raced in England for 7 years, and know (old) Lotuses (Loti?) pretty well. And I'll just say that their forte' is also their Achilles heel: "Add lightness". Colin was a genius; and there's a thin line between ....well, you know....

I've autoxed and tracked some Elises with superchargers, very special Ohlins, R-compounds, etc. Nah.....I prefer the Bimmers, every time. If only because the wheels don't fall off when you clip an apex curbing.
    It doesn't really matter if it counts or not, it was just a general question about what cars others own apart from Bimmer. I should have started the question, "What other brands of cars do you/have you owned" I have watched ELVA's videos on Choo choob and must admit that I have developed quite an admiration for you motor racing guys - plugging away at incredible speeds for lap after lap looks so demanding and physicaly exhausting, I don't think I could EVER do that!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't ever been out of Australia, too scared of Terrorism and flying in planes. I think it was the MK 1 yes, It had rounded corners so I think the very earliest Cortina, Damn I miss it - I wrote it off after only six months on my probationary licence as most stupid 18 year olds do!!

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    My daily driver is my '99 M3 (original owner). It was once my Auto-X and occasional track car. I also have a Lotus Exige (original owner) which is 99% track and used to also Auto-X by both my wife and I. There is no physical reason why I hardly drive the Exige on the street... It is just once you drive it at the limit at the track, pooping around on the street is boring and not worth the trouble as you attempt to avoid picture takers and anything on the street >115mm high. ... at least if you are trying to actually get somewhere to get something done. Cruising is fun of course.

See my sig for more info than you probably wanted to know about them (and some vids).

122453d1243826708-pics-your-lotus-next-regular-cars-10yrsm3_eh.jpg
    Last edited by EricH; 01-04-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Click pic for my '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold), '05 WRX STI ( sold), and '08 Lotus Exige-S 240 Homepages
    Click <here> for my car vids (check out my spin compilations ISPINUWIN & ISPINUWIN2!!)

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I watched a good chunk of that video. Looks like the Exige is pretty quick to swap ends (all of them)! Pretty different than the Cortina. A lot faster though, too! I still really want to try an Elise/Exige someday
    Last edited by ELVA164; 01-05-2015 at 02:15 AM.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    540iT, 330Ci
    I currently drive a 2000 540iT. Have had several other BMWs over the years. Also have an '06 Elise. All are great fun to drive. The Elise just more fun in a simpler way.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    Elva and 111geek, you must track if you get a chance. That is where the 111 cars REALLY shine.

Click pic for my '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold), '05 WRX STI ( sold), and '08 Lotus Exige-S 240 Homepages
    Click <here> for my car vids (check out my spin compilations ISPINUWIN & ISPINUWIN2!!)

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by EricH View Post
    Elva and 111geek, you must track if you get a chance. That is where the 111 cars REALLY shine.
    You find an owner/donor and I'm all for it!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    E39 525I ,70camaro,
    i like the lotus cortina,a friend has one, but the other lotus elise etc i find funny looking little things i wouldnt want to get in

e39
    BMWPOWER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12