Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW VS Lotus

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01

BMW VS Lotus

Just wondering if anyone here has both a BMW and a Lotus (probably not) My X5 is really my workday vehicle but my Lotus is for party time! :>)

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I have an E30 and vintage race a Lotus Cortina...does that count?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I drive an 03 325i, and my best friend has a Lotus Elise as his daily driver... that's as close as I can come.

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Definitely don't have a lotus, I love them as a performance/race car but couldn't use one as a daily. I know the newer ones don't have stereo, I need those when driving. Haha
    Neighbour down the road has an esprit though, And a Ferrari 458... he's such a douche.

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01

lotus

Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    I have an E30 and vintage race a Lotus Cortina...does that count?
    Yes I suppose that counts, Lotus help design the Cortina.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Das Omen View Post
    Definitely don't have a lotus, I love them as a performance/race car but couldn't use one as a daily. I know the newer ones don't have stereo, I need those when driving. Haha
    Neighbour down the road has an esprit though, And a Ferrari 458... he's such a douche.
    Why is he a Douche? Just because he is rich or is he actually an arsehole?
    Mine has a four speaker Alpine system and its a 2001 but no CD drive = I just plug a USB drive in with about 15 albums on it although I could fit 45 or more just on that old 4 GB Flash drive. I might buy a 32 GB and put my entire collection on it.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Omen View Post
    My friend has an Elise as a daily driver for 5 or 6 years, and has had zero issues with it.

He also has a Ferrari 360 Modena.

Dunno if he's a douche, but he gets laid a lot.

My Cars
    z3
    This thread makes me laugh

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Ratcat- no he's basically the definition of arsehole. He's also like 50 and acts like he's hot stuff. Pretty sure he's doing the mid life crisis thing.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I wish I had an Europa in JPS trim. However it sounds like a bad life decision.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I wish I had an Europa in JPS trim. However it sounds like a bad life decision.
    It's a bad life decision unless you're 5'2", love sweating and backing into things, and like French motors (unless you get one of the Twin Cam ones, of course).

My Cars
    BMW 2010
    I prefer BMW due to its good shape and fast speed.
    Last edited by Arslan230; 12-31-2014 at 06:33 AM.

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    You took my question the wrong way - I didn't mean to sound pompous as in "no one else can afford a Lotus and a BMW" - I just thought they were slim odds that someone would own both on these forums (actually I should have said an X5 and Elise, those are even higher odds) I'm actually 55 and proud of it, not everyone lives to be that old and anyway mid-life crisis usually occurs at 40 doesn't it? I think I've been through that when I bought my Z3. Nothing wrong with being proud of the cars you drive - shows that you work hard and deserve it. Which Lotus has a French motor? The S1 like mine is a twin cam Rover K and the Toyota engine well they have plants all over the world - actually BMW had shares in rover at some stage so they are linked.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    The Europa was available with two different Renault inline fours (Euro- and US-spec) and 4-speed gearbox.The Twin Cam wasn't put in until the Type 47 (The S1 was a Type 46) and wasn't in a road car until the Type 74 in '71.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 07-07-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: misread last post

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    The Europa was available with two different Renault inline fours (Euro- and US-spec) and 4-speed gearbox.The Twin Cam wasn't put in until the Type 47 (The S1 was a Type 46) and wasn't in a road car until the Type 74 in '71.
    Oh ok, well I was talking about later Lotus - mine is an S2 sorry my mistake, its not an S1, with the rover K series twin cam engine. You seem to know a lot about Lotus... You are a Lotus fan as well as BMW? Its weird these days BMW owns Rolls Royce - who knows what company owns what these days!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    My Dad and I have a vintage race shop which specializes in British cars from the late '50s and '60s, and I really enjoy that period of automotive history. It's the origin of my screen name and related to the links in my sig, as well.

My Cars
    997 GT3, E90 M3, E46 ZHP
    I had a bunch of BMW's. 97 M3, 95 M3, 09 M3, 10 M3, 07 335i, 03 ZHP and a supercharged Lotus Elise. They are all fun in different ways.
    997 GT3, F80 M3 6MT, E90 M3 Sedan DCT (for sale), 03 330i ZHP, 2016 WRX STI Limited

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    It's a bad life decision unless you're 5'2", love sweating and backing into things, and like French motors (unless you get one of the Twin Cam ones, of course).
    No one said it would be a good life decision. I didn't buy an e39 M5 because it was a good life decision, it is fun and life is too short not to have fun.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    No one said it would be a good life decision. I didn't buy an e39 M5 because it was a good life decision, it is fun and life is too short not to have fun.
    I was just agreeing with your assessment. If you're looking for a fun old Lotus, nothing comes close to an Elan. Go S3 if you can, convertible only. Just make sure you NEVER need to work on the clutch.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Then, actually, it was a good life decision.

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    I was just agreeing with your assessment. If you're looking for a fun old Lotus, nothing comes close to an Elan. Go S3 if you can, convertible only. Just make sure you NEVER need to work on the clutch.

Wow Yes EL - ELAN? VA Hmm not sure about anyway what a great way to spend your days playing with vintage English race cars, I love the smell in old Jags having owned a few in my time Old English -I would have bought an S1 XJ6 if I had more room but had to go for the Elise due to space restrictions. Is that your Cortina in your Avatar? Certainly looks like one.
    Last edited by ratcat77; 07-09-2014 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcat77 View Post
    Wow Yes EL - ELAN? VA Hmm not sure about anyway what a great way to spend your days playing with vintage English race cars, I love the smell in old Jags having owned a few in my time Old English -I would have bought an S1 XJ6 if I had more room but had to go for the Elise due to space restrictions. Is that your Cortina in your Avatar? Certainly looks like one.
    Haha, interesting take on my screen name but not quite. Elva was a British sports car manufacturer from the mid-50s to the late 60s. One of their final actions actually was to help build the first McLaren, fun fact. That is the Cortina in my avatar, here are some fuller pictures of it:

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    Haha, interesting take on my screen name but not quite. Elva was a British sports car manufacturer from the mid-50s to the late 60s. One of their final actions actually was to help build the first McLaren, fun fact. That is the Cortina in my avatar, here are some fuller pictures of it:

Man Oh man that is nice, I would love to take it for a spin or passenger in it if I were living in the U.S. My first ever car was a Cortina - that was 37 years ago!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcat77 View Post
    Man Oh man that is nice, I would love to take it for a spin or passenger in it if I were living in the U.S. My first ever car was a Cortina - that was 37 years ago!
    I could probably arrange a trip to Australia this winter if you can cover shipping!

Which Cortina did you have? A MkI like ours?
    Last edited by ELVA164; 07-10-2014 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I see this thread's gone slightly past the original question, but I'll add my 2 cents, for kicks.

I'm a Bimmer guy, have owned many, and worked on thousands. And a couple of years ago, I owned a Super 7 clone...does that count? Had a Suzuki motorcycle engine, 180 hp, 900 pounds wet. Big fat slicks, fastest damned autox car in Hawaii, by far. In fact, it was too damned fast, and demoralized everyone else, I sold it, and kept the E28 (2500 lbs, 300 hp, even bigger slicks)

I also raced in England for 7 years, and know (old) Lotuses (Loti?) pretty well. And I'll just say that their forte' is also their Achilles heel: "Add lightness". Colin was a genius; and there's a thin line between ....well, you know....

I've autoxed and tracked some Elises with superchargers, very special Ohlins, R-compounds, etc. Nah.....I prefer the Bimmers, every time. If only because the wheels don't fall off when you clip an apex curbing.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I also raced in England for 7 years, and know (old) Lotuses (Loti?) pretty well. And I'll just say that their forte' is also their Achilles heel: "Add lightness". Colin was a genius; and there's a thin line between ....well, you know....
    Mm. Ask Innes Ireland, or Alan Stacey, or Stirling Moss, or Ricardo Rodriguez, or Jim Clark...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast