Thread: A few idle hours result in mesh treatment for lower front of our M Coupe

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe

A few idle hours result in mesh treatment for lower front of our M Coupe

The OEM lower cover was cosmetically-challenged. I was about to replace it when I remembered I had some black diamond mesh left over from another car project. I decided to fit that mesh to the lower openings on the Coupe. I think it looks pretty nifty, and hides some imperfections on the bumper. Initially I just did the center but I decided it would look better if I also did the brake cooling ducts, and I think it does. Lighting in the photo was a bit spotty- the overall effect is a lot smoother.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paul4223; 05-30-2014 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Excellent craftmanship!!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Excellent craftmanship!!
    Thank you, Sir. It was a rather "fussy" project. It's completely reversible if I choose to go back to stock appearance. All I'd need to do is purchase a new OEM lower cover. I like the new look a lot and will likely stay with it.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Looks great! Also details please on that front license plate mount.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Looks awesome! What did you used for part around the mesh? It adds quality look.
    Last edited by deni2s; 05-29-2014 at 07:57 AM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Looks awesome! What did you used for part around the mesh? It adds quality look.
    Same here. I think the trim around the edges finished it off just right. It looks great.

Also, what about the license plate mount? How'd you do it?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Bravo, that's the best mesh application I've seen and the trim around the edges is the key to the professional look

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe

Some info for you guys

Thanks very much for the kind comments!

The part around the mesh is a rubber molding/trim strip which fits tight. The trim has a small slit in it which enables it to be worked onto the mesh. I found the mesh, molding, and fasteners at customcargrills.com -No Affiliation. The site has some excellent tutorials. Working with the bumper on the car makes the job fussier and more time-consuming. I did trial and error paper templates until I was happy with the fit. It was a case of measure 5 or 6 times and cut mostly once, except for a bit of fine-tuning. Getting the rubber trim onto the cut mesh requires patience and care- the cut mesh is SHARP! The mesh material is powder-coated black and makes a subtle but noticeable "statement" on the car. I didn't want silver mesh.

The license plate bracket is from Skene. skenedesign.com. No Affiliation. Word around Seattle area is that LE is getting much more aggressive about writing tickets for no front plate, and I decided to finally "get legal." I preferred a center-mount, rather than the ones which utilize the tow hook area, but I definitely wanted something less bulky than OEM, so I went with the Skene design. You do have to make two small holes but they are not visible unless you're on the ground looking up. I also mounted the plate lower than the way it's portrayed on Skene's website.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    How did you affix the mesh to the bumper?

My Cars
    S52 Imola E36/8 & 4.6is
    Yet again I'm jealous of your front bumper...

Scorpion Exhaust | AC Schnitzer replica roof spoiler in black | Dice | Rear Diffuser f/ NeverDone | Stock Roadstars w/ Michelins | TCKline Coils | Dinan Snorkel

too lazy to get installed: Fikse Profil 10s | Camber plates | Subframe Bushing

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    How did you affix the mesh to the bumper?
    For the center section I used little plastic gizmos pictured below, held in place with foam tape and a small black screw. The gizmos have slots to run a small zip tie through. This system works quite well. Grill is definitely secure!

For the side sections I used two smallish pieces of double-sided foam tape for each side, top and bottom. I colored the edges with black marker and used black electrical tape on top of the tape where it showed behind the rubber moulding. All 3 pieces are a snug fit. The side pieces, especially so. After I got the sides positioned on the tape, I used a thin plastic blade to gently push any visible tape under the rubber. If you get super close, and you're looking for it, you can barely see it. From a few feet away, it's invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by fuz9 View Post
    Yet again I'm jealous of your front bumper...
    Yeah, but you've got the Schnitzer rep spoiler on your roof!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paul4223; 05-29-2014 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Great work! I too was a bit scared reading the title, but that is excellent work.

-Todd

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe (Sterling)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul4223 View Post
    Word around Seattle area is that LE is getting much more aggressive about writing tickets for no front plate
    An elegant touch, indeed!

And thanks especially for the local tip. I've been meaning to float the question before I removed the unsightly front plate from my Sterling 3.0i. I'll trade a little sadness for the extra hassle.

Hope I see your lovely (Oxford?) green coupe 'round the Sound this summer. Being so close to a British Racing Green, it's just about the only color I envy...

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Great work! I too was a bit scared reading the title, but that is excellent work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SalishZ View Post
    An elegant touch, indeed!

And thanks especially for the local tip. I've been meaning to float the question before I removed the unsightly front plate from my Sterling 3.0i. I'll trade a little sadness for the extra hassle.

Hope I see your lovely (Oxford?) green coupe 'round the Sound this summer. Being so close to a British Racing Green, it's just about the only color I envy...
    Thank you both. I attended a very demanding art school. Some of those design assignments were migraine-inducing. The training has helped with little projects like the mesh grills or when I refinished the bumper last summer.

Of course I much prefer the look of our cars sans front plate, but I got tired of "fearing" LE or even parking meter attendants. The color of the Coupe (I like using a capital C) is Boston Green Metallic. On a cloudy day it does resemble a dark BRG. On a sunny day, it really pops!
    Last edited by paul4223; 05-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Everytime I click this thread I like it a little more...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Me too. Best mesh application ever seen on z3. I'm mentally preparing myself to do something similar on my carline bumper.