Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which strut braces fit?

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB

Which strut braces fit?

I'm looking into a front strut brace for my '98 2.8 roady. I've noticed that nearly all of the jillion or so listed on eBay for the E36 body are listed as appropriate for all E36 models except the E36/7...mine. I've also noticed that on Dinan's website the part number for their brace is the same for the E36 and the E36/7 bodies. What gives? I know that the 1.9 is too tall for those applications, but I would think that any of them would work fine on a 2.8...

My Cars
    00' M Roadster, 07' Mazd
    I think you need to look at strut braces built specifically for the Z3 as I'm not sure that the E36 stuff is truly compatible. Take a look at the following options:

http://strong-strut.com/Z3products.html

http://www.masonengineering.net/Subpages/Z3.htm
    2000 M Roadster
    Estoril Blue, Black Top, Grey & Black Interior
    Mr. M Car reinforced rear subframe, VAC Oil Pan Baffle, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft Kit & Reinforced Oil Pick-Up Tube, Conforti Shark Injector, H&R/Bilstein, Swapped strut hats, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, BW engine mounts, BW camber shims, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator and oil cooler, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, Leather Z oil distribution block, LeatrherZ armrest, LeatherZ illuminated ZHP shift knob, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW

My Cars
    '88 E30 M3, '01 Z3 Roady
    I was under the impression that Dinan no longer sold a front strut brace for the Z3?

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Dinan still lists them on their page. http://dinancars.com/product/d180-03...ries&mid=1099/
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Strut braces for 6cyl z3 and e36 can be identical, but if you are buying strut brace from e36, there could be two issues - z3 has ground connector on strut and the brace could not fit because of that (easy to fix with flex), and the other issue is the hood clearance - not all e36 braces allow to close the hood of z3 without some damage.

This is my brace from e36 (modified with flex to fit):
    Last edited by deni2s; 05-29-2014 at 08:22 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Strut braces for 6cyl z3 and e36 can be identical, but if you are buying strut brace from e36, there could be two issues - z3 has ground connector on strut and the brace could not fit because of that (easy to fix with flex), and the other issue is the hood clearance - not all e36 braces allow to close the hood of z3 without some damage.

This is my brace from e36 (modified with flex to fit):
    Can I ask; what is flex?

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I am thinking flex is dremel/grinder material out of the mount plate. Him being from Latvia the translation is probably a bit off maybe?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8L/2003 530i
    Check out COSMO RACING......

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    If you really want a strut tower bar, +1 on StrongStrut. Paul Ebeyer is a Z owner and enthusiast and his product and service are top notch. I have installed his bars on both of my Z's and am very pleased.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I also have the strong strut installed

My Cars
    S52 Imola E36/8 & 4.6is
    $137 + shipping for Racing Dynamics

http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/19...cing_dynamics/

Scorpion Exhaust | AC Schnitzer replica roof spoiler in black | Dice | Rear Diffuser f/ NeverDone | Stock Roadstars w/ Michelins | TCKline Coils | Dinan Snorkel

too lazy to get installed: Fikse Profil 10s | Camber plates | Subframe Bushing

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by fuz9 View Post
    $137 + shipping for Racing Dynamics

http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/19...cing_dynamics/
    Good deal but just curious as I cant tell from the ad, is it hinged?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Can I ask; what is flex?
    Sorry my bad english. I ment angle grinder.

My Cars
    00' M Roadster, 07' Mazd
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Good deal but just curious as I cant tell from the ad, is it hinged?
    The Racing Dynamics strut brace that I have seen previously for the Z3 were hinged although not sure if they have changed the design since then.

2000 M Roadster
    Estoril Blue, Black Top, Grey & Black Interior
    Mr. M Car reinforced rear subframe, VAC Oil Pan Baffle, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft Kit & Reinforced Oil Pick-Up Tube, Conforti Shark Injector, H&R/Bilstein, Swapped strut hats, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, BW engine mounts, BW camber shims, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator and oil cooler, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, Leather Z oil distribution block, LeatrherZ armrest, LeatherZ illuminated ZHP shift knob, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    DINAN fits on a '99 2.8. '98 probably the same?

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Here is another choice. Listed as E36 but fits fine with 2.8. UUC website.

image.jpg
    Last edited by spfd72; 05-29-2014 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB
    Ultra Racing (www.ultraracing.com.my) offers a nice, one piece welded steel unit that seems just perfect for less than $150 on fleaBay. Simplicity itself...just a bar connecting the towers with no hinges, bolts to loosen, etc. What's perplexing is that they offer it for every BMW model under the sun...except for the Z3. They offer three variations for E36...with timing chain, with timing belt (these two are bent/offset), and one that goes straight across that's listed for the 325/328. They're painted white, so they're not going to bling up the engine room, but it seems like they'll do the job better than most. Obviously, my car has a timing chain, but do any of you all have any ideas here?

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo55 View Post
    Ultra Racing (www.ultraracing.com.my) offers a nice, one piece welded steel unit that seems just perfect for less than $150 on fleaBay. Simplicity itself...just a bar connecting the towers with no hinges, bolts to loosen, etc. What's perplexing is that they offer it for every BMW model under the sun...except for the Z3. They offer three variations for E36...with timing chain, with timing belt (these two are bent/offset), and one that goes straight across that's listed for the 325/328. They're painted white, so they're not going to bling up the engine room, but it seems like they'll do the job better than most. Obviously, my car has a timing chain, but do any of you all have any ideas here?
    Fitted only with two bolts on each strut tower? Are you sure that is good enough? White should bling in engine room as I don't remember anything else here being white. Not sure if white inside engine room is good choice as there is a lot of dust inside, could be hard to keep it clean and shiny.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB
    There seems to be a feeling here that braces that are jointed are "not good". If I'm understanding the physics of the situation, the brace is there to prevent the strut towers from flexing "in" at the top, i.e. moving closer together at suspension travel extremes. If that is so, a jointed bar should work fine. The only instance where a more $olid bar would help would be to keep the towers from moving up and down relative to each other. Is this an issue? Am I missing something here?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Even a solid strut rod can't really keep the shock tower from going up and down. But with the primary purpose being to keep the towers from moving horizontally, having a connection point bolted together give it one or two more places for a bolt to move slightly in a hole before it goes solid. A solid connection is much better.

Marty

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I've gone back and forth caring about pivot points in strut bars and won't comment there. As for adjusting for chassis variances, Cusco does the adjustable bar properly IMO (not sure if they supply a bar for any BMWs).

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Sorry my bad english. I ment angle grinder.
    Whew! I thought there was a tool or product out there that I didn't already have__or at the very least, want!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo55 View Post
    There seems to be a feeling here that braces that are jointed are "not good". If I'm understanding the physics of the situation, the brace is there to prevent the strut towers from flexing "in" at the top, i.e. moving closer together at suspension travel extremes. If that is so, a jointed bar should work fine. The only instance where a more $olid bar would help would be to keep the towers from moving up and down relative to each other. Is this an issue? Am I missing something here?
    Actually, it is just the opposite, and I've stated that many times, here and on other forums.

Think in terms of tire grip/adhesion; in a high-G turn, the tire is gripping the road surface, and the force of the car is trying to keep going "forward" (not following the direction you're turning to).

With the force/mass in the middle, and the tire holding at the bottom, the tops of the strut towers are spreading apart. You could counter that by saying that the inside corner would be trying to move inward, but due to weight transfer, it has far less grip than the outside tire__so much less in fact, that an inside tire can frequently be seen lifted off the surface (cue Sunzout's signature pic).

In essence, a taunt steel cable bolted across the strut towers would be just as effective, and I believe that's exactly what Carol Shelby used before he put "Monte-Carlo bars" on rallying Ford Fairlanes back in the very early 60s ('63-64).

A strut bar's functional purpose is to prevent the tower tops from spreading apart during high G turns.

Beyond that, they're just for looks, so fixed, or pivoting doesn't matter a whole lot.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 06-03-2014 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB
    Good explanation, Randy...thanks. Okay, so I'm not going autocrossing and I don't need any underhood jewelry. What I'm looking to do is eliminate the "wobble", or "shake" when I'm on uneven pavement, crossing railroad tracks, etc. From all reports, a strut bar will address SOME of that...again, will a non-jointed type do so better than one of the more common "hinged" types?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I have one (1) of each on my own Rdstrs, and I don't notice any difference between the two (2).

There is however, a noticeable difference driving either car without one, in the conditions you noted__RR-tracks, uneven pavement, etc.

My Cars
    Z3 2.3
    <p>What about this company? Are the rear brace and body brace make and sell voodoo, or is there some legitimate logic to it?</p><p><br>&nbsp;</p><p><br><a href="http://strong-strut.com/Z3products.html">http://strong-strut.com/Z3products.html</a></p>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast