Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of things unholy and might get banned

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cool Thinking of things unholy and might get banned

So there I was driving down the autobahn. I look to my right side mirror, all clear no one about to smash into me. I look out the rear view mirror, hazed of rear plastic window. I think to myself "thank god I have a new convertible top waiting to be put on." Then I look out the driver mirror, useless. It's shaking and vibrating has made visibility so low it's useless.

That's when another thought slow starts to form in my head, I wonder if any other door mounted mirrors from other cars would work? I think no I can't think that way it just soo......unBMW like. That's when the logical side of me pops in "shut up who cares find out, it's your car."

So thats why I am here. Are there any other door mounted mirrors what would fit our doors? I mean I'm not gonna spend 2-400 dollars on side mirrors. But I would like a mirror that doesn't shake in the wind. I was looking at the Mini Cooper's mirrors and they look nice. Anyone know how they mount and if they are applicable? I mean technically it is a BMW. What about RX7 mirrors? That list goes on.

Just curious.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    My M mirrors don't shake. You may just need a replacement BMW mirror.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    You could always try to divert air around the mirrors instead. Maybe a small, strategically placed Airtab on each side? (I've been meaning to get to these in the aero thread.)
    They've been used on Arial Atoms to help deflect air up and around the cabin in the absence of a windshield.

What speeds are we talking? Must be going well over 100 MPH to run into these issues?
    Last edited by BenFenner; 05-22-2014 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    my mirrors don't shake either.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    The M mirrors are cone shaped and probably suffer less from this issue. Compare:

1999 Z3 2.3L

M Z3

Hey OP, maybe just switch to the M mirror?
    Last edited by BenFenner; 05-22-2014 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    My drivers side mirror vibrates a but but passenger side doesn't at all. I just think the motor that the mirror mounts to is a little worn/loose. I'm sure replacing that would firm it up a bit.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    it's anything above 50 MPH. And maybe not everyone was reading correctly, I'm not looking to spend an unholy amount on almighty Z3M mirrors.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    I never realized how ugly the non-M mirrors are, shame on BMW I'm sure they cost no more to make so why not put them on all Z's

I wonder if you call around to a few bone yards if you could find a left and right from an M for short money.
    You could rattle can paint them yourself :-0 so the color wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by CMM3; 05-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Try checking if the bolts holding it are not loose. Turn the mirror and you will see them.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Is it the frame or the glass? If its the frame, there is a pivot bolt that could be loose. It would involve taking the entire assembly off to tighten. If its the glass, one or more of the mounting clips may be cracked, broken or missing. Try Search there've been a couple of write-ups posted over the years.

Yes the M mirrors are spiffier looking, but given the limited (at best) view through the hatch of the coupe, I'll take the bigger non-M mirrors.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    z3
    Buy some M mirrors for $250-300, sell your current ones for $150, I think its well worth the price difference for the cosmetic, and functional, upgrade.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Buy some M mirrors for $250-300, sell your current ones for $150, I think its well worth the price difference for the cosmetic, and functional, upgrade.
    Exactly what I've done with 3 different Zs so far.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I've never experienced this with my mirrors and have gone well over 120.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    My driver side vibrates minorly, but not enough for me in to investigate yet...

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Oh Jesus my driver side mirror is so bad it drives me nuts. Anymore I just stick my head out the window to check for cars.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BF.com

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    The M mirrors are one of those subtle things that help to take 10 years off the car's perceived age. Mine vibrates just enough to blur things a tad around 80, not enough to bother me, just assumed it's normal. Especially after getting used to that effect on the motorcycle.

Couldn't help but share this because they look like squished M mirrors

http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1278
    // TODO: Create sig

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Check the mirror glass itself. When I had a problems with the mirror shaking, it was just the glass coming loose from the plastic mounting. I pulled it off both times (two different cars/mirrors) with a simple pry tool and re-glued it back into place. It doesn't shake now at all. In both cases, non-M mirrors.

I prefer the non-M mirror because of the larger field of vision, but that is personal taste. I do try to keep my speed below 100 mph (okay, but often well over 90).

Mostly, I'm just glad I caught it before it fell off at speed.
    Last edited by steve f; 05-22-2014 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Phr34k View Post
    The M mirrors are one of those subtle things that help to take 10 years off the car's perceived age. Mine vibrates just enough to blur things a tad around 80, not enough to bother me, just assumed it's normal. Especially after getting used to that effect on the motorcycle.

Couldn't help but share this because they look like squished M mirrors
    Before I read your post, I thought you just photoshopped M mirrors to be thinner...

Agreed about the mirrors taking 10 years off the car though. There are lots of little details like that on these cars that can make them look "fresh" again

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    While the Z mirrors don't seem popular, they do offer more glass area than the M mirrors, which is a good thing, imo. They shouldn't vibrate, something is wrong/loose.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Does anything else shake--the wheel perhaps? Z3 mirrors shouldn't shake at 60 mph. My ///M mirrors don't shake even a l\little up to 130 or so (can't say for anything faster as I haven't taken my eyes off the road to look in the mirrors above that). There shouldn't be anything shaking--it's either a problem with the mirrors or a problem in the car transmitting to the mirrors, or both. I would start with the tires and suspension if the mirrors aren't loose, then look to the drive train--guibo, carrier bearing, motor mounts, transmission mounts, differential mount/subframe/trunk floor, etc. Something's wrong and the mirrors are screaming at you about that.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    My driver side mirror vibrated horribly, until I discovered that only 2 of the 4 plastic clips holding the glass to the motor housing were engaged. Once I pressed them in properly, the vibration went away.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    I too have never had vibration in my mirrors at any speed. I've been up to 110 indicated (subtract about 8 to 10% for the fun BMW error) and no vibration. Mark's reply above this one is probably the thing you will want to look at. It has to be loose attachments, or the gears for the adjustment are partially stripped and letting the mirror move. You should not be able to jiggle the mirror at all. It should be really tight. Any play and that is a problem. Good luck.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowthebattle View Post
    was looking at the Mini Cooper's mirrors and they look nice. Anyone know how they mount and if they are applicable? I mean technically it is a BMW.
    Someone from the forum has mounted Mini mirrors with some modification to the base. Should be able to find the thread on it...

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Oh also everytime I open and shut the door, my mirror glass shifts. It's the glass thats vibrating I think cause I've held the mirror and the shake was still there. No other vibrations in the car btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast