Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Exhaust opinions for 02 M Roadster

My Cars
    91 535i 00 740i sport 98

Aftermarket Exhaust opinions for 02 M Roadster

I have headers I'm going to install and now comes the exhaust. What is the preferred exhaust for the S54? I dont like the Billy Boat. I know it can drone from a previous 535i I had with it on it. Remus-Supersprint-Eisenmann-Magnaflow? Opinions of those who have after market exhausts and where to buy would help before I take the leap. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    Magnaflows are known to drone quite a bit so that may be one to steer away from. I have a supersprint and it has a nice tone to it.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    I quite like my B&B. Don't think you can write off a different model that fits a different car with a different engine.

That said, if I were to buy something again, I'd go with an Eisenmann Race...if I had $2k burning a hole in my pocket.

Magnaflow + S54 = rasp city

Note, my B&B seems to have resonators built into them, so the tone is definitely different than just welding a muffler on.
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 05-13-2014 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Mine has an AC Schnitzer (basically a Remus) with AR20 resonators. Very rich tone and no rasp.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    I have the Eisenmann Race setup and love it!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I've used both the SuperSprint & Eisenmann on my own S-54 Rdstr (stock headers w/catalytic converters) and I like them both, but the SS is definitely the quieter of the two.

In case it ever becomes an issue for you, B&B, Eisenmann and SuperSprint will all clear an E-36__dual ear__differential cover, whereas the Remus will not.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 05-14-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    I'm running headers with stock everything else (S54); I think it sounds fantastic. It was supposed to be temporary until I decide on which aftermarket route to go, but I'm not sure I'm going to swap the stock cans out. The volume is just right and the tone aggressive. I think it would get too loud with most aftermarket cans personally.

Also, only follow advice or listen to sound clips from S54 cars with headers. Those 2 details are vital for sound comparisons. I've found E36 swapped cars are a good source of information, as there's more of them with headers plus custom exhausts documenting media online than there are S54 Z3s.
    Last edited by Mystikal; 05-14-2014 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    I love my Remus, but that's an s52.

You can buy my cheap magnaflow setup in the classifieds if you want something cheap and fun

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Love my Hamman (made by SS??) with the center cats deleted. One of these days I'll record some sound. There's a thread with some exhausts on it ya know.
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    how has no one pasted the link to the exhaust clip thread in here and followed it up with an /thread.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    Love my Hamman (made by SS??) with the center cats deleted. One of these days I'll record some sound. There's a thread with some exhausts on it ya know.
    Edit: Wait, probably mean the Hamman cats deleted, right?
    Last edited by Mystikal; 05-14-2014 at 02:52 PM.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Edit: Wait, probably mean the Hamman cats deleted, right?
    hamann mufflers, and the only cats left are the ones in the headers

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    For the love of God...finally found that thread.
    Go here for clips of all different exhausts. Now that it's 2014 and tons of people have GoPro's, we should make an upgraded version of this thread that actually sounds correct.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...s-Consolidated

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    I'm happy with my Supersprints & catless headers from Tyler, Texas.

http://www.supersprintna.com/about/contact/

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    hamann mufflers, and the only cats left are the ones in the headers
    Ah. There are no cats in a US-spec S54 car (E46, Z3, Z4) in any place but the headers. You essentially have a stock setup + mufflers.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Ah. There are no cats in a US-spec S54 car (E46, Z3, Z4) in any place but the headers. You essentially have a stock setup + mufflers.
    Thought there were, see one of the pics on this link.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273465

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Thought there were, see one of the pics on this link.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273465
    The first one is a supercharged S-54 Coupe that I put eBay headers and aftermarket hi-flow catalytic converters on.

This second one, is my gray car (S-54) with factory headers/catalytic converters and the Eisenmann Race exhaust system fitted.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Someone stole your x-brace on your car Randy. Better report that to police.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    Someone stole your x-brace on your car Randy. Better report that to police.
    It's under the belly pan, that's the outline of it in the plastic tray, for clearance.

I wonder if you'd be faster on the course if you fitted one to your car; the S-52 ///M Rdstrs (limited to 137 mph) weren't fitted with one from the factory, but the S-54 cars (155 mph electronic limit) and possibly the S-50/B32 European cars, came with them.

Before getting a lift, and raising the car via the front XMBR, I used to leave it off. Now that I raise the cars on 2-post lifts, it's not a problem to leave it on.

My Cars
    '01 M Coupe
    If you can get your hands on a Stromung setup I highly recommend it on our S54s. Good volume, not too loud, doesn't amplify the rasp, no drone and great throaty tone. Decent pricing too, but not sure if you can still get a set from Stromung new.
    Current: 2001 M Coupe - Titanium Silver, 2022 M3 Competition xDrive - individual Enzian blue
    Former: 2001 M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    It's under the belly pan, that's the outline of it in the plastic tray, for clearance.

I wonder if you'd be faster on the course if you fitted one to your car; the S-52 ///M Rdstrs (limited to 137 mph) weren't fitted with one from the factory, but the S-54 cars (155 mph electronic limit) and possibly the S-50/B32 European cars, came with them.

Before getting a lift, and raising the car via the front XMBR, I used to leave it off. Now that I raise the cars on 2-post lifts, it's not a problem to leave it on.
    edited for morning stupidity!
    Last edited by PDP M; 05-15-2014 at 10:15 AM.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

That's pretty cool. Didn't know that was on the S54's. I'd bet it would be illegal for STR as there is no UD/BD but would contribute to air flow and would be really beneficial at max speed. I'm going to bookmark these shots as I'm still wrestling with my exhaust swap. Your photos show how tight it is coming down from the down pipes backward.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by dubzz24 View Post
    If you can get your hands on a Stromung setup I highly recommend it on our S54s. Good volume, not too loud, doesn't amplify the rasp, no drone and great throaty tone. Decent pricing too, but not sure if you can still get a set from Stromung new.
    I love my Stromung.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    I went with the Super Sprint on my S54 car. I thought it was too quiet at first, but after a few long highway trips, I'm glad it's not any louder. It looks awesome too!
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I shopped around for cat-backs for my M and quickly realized I'm just too cheap to pay $1,200-$2,000 for a decent stainless system.
    So I've opted to buy materials and fab my own. I've invested $250 in stainless pipe & mufflers and will start cut'n & TIG weld'n soon.

Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast