Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap in a tucked and shaved E36 bay

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I know a few of you guys are running the harness adapter from the guy over on R3vlimited, can one of you guys shed some more information on what exactly it consists of?

Got my Z3M harness and was playing around with it today, comparing it to the E46 M3 harness that I have. The Z3M harness is almost the same except it comes with an extra plug that appears to be for the MAF (which looking at my buddies E46 M3, I think it comes from the body harness). There's also what seems to be 2 different two pin connectors for the purge valve, not sure what the other one is for. Other than that, very similar to the E46 except for the added length which works great. Can anybody shed some more light on this?

Also, I know that you definitely have to use the coil pack harness and I see how that connects to the DME. There's also a separate harness that goes down to the O2 sensors, transmission reverse plug and FPR under the car (from what I can tell). This is reused as well, correct? It has a bunch of relays and plugs on the DME side of it. You guys just put all of that into the E36 ECU pocket?

What exact plugs come on his harness? Here's what I know.

Obviously the X20 connector. One of those connectors goes to the gas pedal, one goes to the OBD2 port. What about the connector with the yellow O ring that almost looks like an O2 hookup? Where do the power ring terminals connect to? The connectors on the far right connect to the big mess by the DME, right? Is that it?

Maybe it would make better sense if it was all in front of me. I hooked up the Z3M harness to the DME along with the O2 harness and coil pack harness and still had a good amount of connectors left. Just trying to figure out the loose ends. Definitely going to buy his harness though!

My Cars
    German ones
    Bobby, you need the O2 harness from the E46 M3 to complete the 'package'.

I'm slammed right now at work but I did receive my harness last week from Andrew so I can take some pictures. The connector with the yellow ring is for the coolant temp gauge.

The only place I can come up with right now for the relays and small fuse panel on the E46 O2 harness is in the ECU box.
    Last edited by MPWRCPE; 10-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Let me try to explain this better, with pictures. Hopefully this somehow helps other guys looking to do wiring for this swap!

Here's the entire E46 wiring harness merged with the Z3M S54 harness laid out.

From bottom to top: Fuel injector connectors, then the main engine harness box, the box that extends along the firewall to put the DME in proper location, DME, coil pack harness and then O2 sensor harness.

A better look at the other side:

Close up of where all 3 harnesses merge at the DME

Here's the parts of the harness that I'm confused about:

Where do these three connectors from the O2 harness plug into? 4 pin, 2 pin, 1 pin, all female.

This white 2 pin connector from the O2 harness:

This empty spot on the DME:

This blue plug coming off the DME side of the Z3 harness:

These three plugs on the bottom of the Z3M main engine box:

I know the long one on the left goes to the oil pan for the oil level sensor. The middle is non existent on the E46 M3 harness but is identical to the MAF plug so I guess it just came in a different spot the Z3M's. The shorter plug came off the evap purge valve on my old E46 M3 harness (or at least that's what I labeled it for), but doesn't this connector look like the purge valve connector? Both will fit.

Other than that, everything is connected as you can see and i know where everything else goes. As long as the adapter harness fills in the blanks above then I should be good to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MPWRCPE View Post
    Bobby, you need the O2 harness from the E46 M3 to complete the 'package'.

I'm slammed right now at work but I did receive my harness last week from Andrew so I can take some pictures. The connector with the yellow ring is for the coolant temp gauge.

The only place I can come up with right now for the relays and small fuse panel on the E46 O2 harness is in the ECU box.

Perfect, thank you!
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 10-27-2014 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    German ones
    The blue connector on the MZ3 harness needs to be replaced with the E46 style connector on the M3 harness. Andrew will do this for you if you send him your MZ3 harness.

I'll get my harness out tonight and snap a few pics for you.
    Dave

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Oh right, I remember reading that in his thread now. Thanks for all your help, if you don't get around to it tonight it's not a huge deal. Whenever you get some free time from work!

My Cars
    German ones
    Now that I have a few minutes:

The missing connector on your MSS54 is for the X60004 connector which is supplied with Andrew's harness adapter. It is the main tie-in to the cars chassis systems including DBW pedal, sport mode, gauge cluster signals, SAP, EWS, DSC, Cruise, A/C, CAN, etc. Your car will be slightly different from mine because it is OBDII.

The whole mess makes much more sense once you have the adapter harness in your hands.

As far as the extra connectors go, my motor is still crated up and I haven't even looked at it in over a month. I'm hoping to bring it home in the next few weeks to get started on the rod bearings and VANOS. Best bet is to get the E46 M3 and/or MZ3 wiring diagram and become very familiar with it.

I'm having a hell of a time uploading pictures for some reason so if you want to PM me your email address I can shoot a few pictures to you. I'll get them posted up here once I figure out what the (my) problem is.
    Dave

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Perfect, thanks so much! My email is bdbello@gmail.com

That makes complete sense now though. Looks like Andrew is 2-3 weeks out for the harness, I'll have to shoot him an email tomorrow. I also just found a Z3M wiring harness online, I think I'll study that over the next few days.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Well that's nice to know he supplies some of those pieces with his adapter.

Feel like a fool now having been into salvage yards grabbing a few of those X60004 connectors along with the DBW pedal, connector and pigtail. I still think I am going to build one and see how easy it turns out, but I want Andrew's harness to get an idea of what's going on with his idea.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    It's all good man, I'm sure you'll put those parts to good use. Andrews harness definitely is worth the money IMO and seems like the perfect solution to this swap. Things are finally starting to near completion with this project!

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    The only connector you need to modify is the blue one, as noted. I just used a GM weatherpak connector I had laying around instead.

I didn't hook that short connector up top to anything. The middle wire you were talking about is the MAF. My stock harness had it there as well.

You can use the stock coil harness and O2 harness if you want, they're just really long. I cut and taped off the extra O2 sensor wires to clean things up.

The yellow and red connectors to go the battery connection. I feel he makes them too short to run to the electrical box, I ran a 10 gauge from the terminal to the box, then tied those two into it. The problem is that a 30 amp fuse wasn't enough and it blew on the track, run a pair of 10 gauge wires to it and be done.

Yellow is the fuel pump and red is teh O2 sensor. You'll have to replace the main power wire in the MZ3 harness with a foot longer 4 gauge wire as well. Make sure to solder all connectors so they can't come apart.
    Last edited by Shuasha; 11-01-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    The only connector you need to modify is the blue one, as noted. I just used a GM weatherpak connector I had laying around instead.

I didn't hook that short connector up top to anything. The middle wire you were talking about is the MAF. My stock harness had it there as well.

You can use the stock coil harness and O2 harness if you want, they're just really long. I cut and taped off the extra O2 sensor wires to clean things up.

The yellow and red connectors to go the battery connection. I feel he makes them too short to run to the electrical box, I ran a 10 gauge from the terminal to the box, then tied those two into it. The problem is that a 30 amp fuse wasn't enough and it blew on the track, run a pair of 10 gauge wires to it and be done.

Yellow is the fuel pump and red is teh O2 sensor. You'll have to replace the main power wire in the MZ3 harness with a foot longer 4 gauge wire as well. Make sure to solder all connectors so they can't come apart.
    Awesome, that helps so much. I'll have to ask Andrew if he can extend those two wires to be able to run to the electric box without an issue.

I figured the coil harness would be too long and priced out a new Z3M one at ~$130. If I can't get it to look how I want then I'll just buy that, but I gutted the stock DME box and I'm fairly confident I'll be able to fit a good amount of stuff in there comfortably.

Speaking of, do you have any pictures of the DME area and how you got all three harnesses merged in the box cleanly? I have a few ideas but just wanted to see what others had done. Any pictures of the completed harness would be nice!

Picked up this beauty the other day to finish off the shifter setup; it's entirely new/updated now!

Must say AKG makes quite a piece, this thing is just as gorgeous as it is functional. Shifter feels so solid and crisp!

Here's a picture of the stock E46 M3 harness next to the Z3M harness for those of you who haven't seen it yet. Basically the same, just extended to allow the DME to reach the passenger side of the car.

Oh, and here's a before and after of a Vanos that I polished up for a friend. I'm getting good at these!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    How did you get the Vanos unit looking so shiny? I assume some brushing and polishing was used?

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Sanded with 1000/1500/2000/2500 and then polished with a dremel and then finished by hand. Definitely not a fun job by any means but if you take your time and follow the system it comes out great.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What polishing compound did you use by the way?

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, but any good polish should work fine.

What are you guys doing with the E36 coolant sensors? Can you just replace the E46 sensor on the bottom of the water pipe and just leave the E46 harness unplugged or do you need to run both? Not sure if the DME needs to see water temp for any reason. Also, does the oil level sensor in the pan need to be plugged in? Right now I have it deleted with the same Euro plug that I had on my S52 (s54 pan conversion) but can reinstall the sensor if its needed. Also, I realized I have my custom ASC resistor box plugged into the body harness. I still need to keep that there to fool the ABS to work properly, right?

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Sanded with 1000/1500/2000/2500 and then polished with a dremel and then finished by hand. Definitely not a fun job by any means but if you take your time and follow the system it comes out great.
    Definitely should clear-coat. I did my vanos when I had an e46 M3 and it oxidized soon after.
    What a pain in the @ss for such a short lived beauty.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    E34 528i, E39 540i M
    Amazing thread, car was already so nice and clean before the S54. For a while I was wondering why you would want so much work for an extra 27 hp, but then realized it had an S52 not Euro.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by MSpeedAddict View Post
    Definitely should clear-coat. I did my vanos when I had an e46 M3 and it oxidized soon after.
    What would you use for clear coat? Paint doesn't normally adhere to a polished finish, and this piece gets pretty hot.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by MSpeedAddict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    What would you use for clear coat? Paint doesn't normally adhere to a polished finish, and this piece gets pretty hot.
    I have no idea what clear coat would work on a polished finish. The problem is that the finish is too slick and there's nothing for the paint to stick to. Usually before you paint something you scuff it up with some sand paper but obviously that would negate the polished finish. I know that I'll have to repolish the vanos often but I'm not too worried about it as the car isn't a daily or anything.

My Cars
    98 m3
    There is special clear coat just for polished finishes.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    There is special clear coat just for polished finishes.
    ^^^ this, as well as I believe I saw a thread where someone had a clear powdercoat applied (at a lower temp to prevent hazing/yellowing)
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Bump for updates...

Thanks to you I'm already looking at at least tucking my bay this winter season... seriously this bay and the S54 is amazing.

Super jealous, and very small world that Calvin is just a few minutes away from me

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    Bump for updates...

Thanks to you I'm already looking at at least tucking my bay this winter season... seriously this bay and the S54 is amazing.

Super jealous, and very small world that Calvin is just a few minutes away from me
    Thanks man! Calvins a good guy. Keep us updated on the tuck, don't think I've ever seen that in a shoe!

The update is that there are no updates. I just started my own business and have bigger priorities right now and the car doesn't get driven in the winter anyway. This car will absolutely be done before Springtime, however, as there are really just a few small things to button up. Hopefully some Schrick 288/280 cams and a Karbonious CSL replica airbox will be added along with a TTFS tune as well.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post

Thanks man! Calvins a good guy. Keep us updated on the tuck, don't think I've ever seen that in a shoe!

The update is that there are no updates. I just started my own business and have bigger priorities right now and the car doesn't get driven in the winter anyway. This car will absolutely be done before Springtime, however, as there are really just a few small things to button up. Hopefully some Schrick 288/280 cams and a Karbonious CSL replica airbox will be added along with a TTFS tune as well.
    What, or should I say who, is a TTFS tune?
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    TuningTechFS(TuningTech by Frank Smith)

Give them a shout, very knowledgeable place/ppl in the S54 world...which can be hard to come by for some folks.

Spoke with them for a good hour the first time I called and discussed build, quite personable.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast