Thread: I had good luck with Mothers Headlight Restoration Kit

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe; e28; Elise

I had good luck with Mothers Headlight Restoration Kit

The Mother's headlight restoration kit was on sale at Autozone for $10, so I picked one up.

I was skeptical that it would work, but so far, so good.

The kit included some rubbing-compound-like liquid and an attachment for your drill.

before:

headlight lens before by ChurchOfBK, on Flickr

after:

Headlight lens after by ChurchOfBK, on Flickr

It's only been a week, so who knows how it will last, but initial results are good.

Just FYI.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
    Impressive! I usually use 1K grit wet-sand, buffing compound, and then Royal Blue (or any other good quality polish). But for $10, you can't beat that. The drill attachment alone is worth that. Looks like I'm headed to AutoZone tomorrow, and hope it's still on sale.
    Last edited by aterry1067; 05-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Nice work! I used the 3M kit with similar results - it's amazing how much it freshens up the front of the car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I wonder what causes the plastic to become cloudy. Abrasive scrubbing, cleaning with the wrong chemical, hot sun, ozone? My car was built in 10/96 and its plastic is clear as new.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Very nice job. It made a significant difference.

My Cars
    2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
    I bought the 3M kit, very inexpensive and quite effective. I'll never trust the kits that just provide like a wax coating or something that needs re-application.... I used the 3M resto kit but then went over it with clear coat

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I wonder what causes the plastic to become cloudy. Abrasive scrubbing, cleaning with the wrong chemical, hot sun, ozone? My car was built in 10/96 and its plastic is clear as new.
    It's my understanding the polycarbonate is affected by heat from the bulb, UV rays from constant exposure to the sun, and abrasion. Keep the car indoors, cool and don't use the lights and they will last a long time. Daily drivers will suffer the most.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    96 Z3/ 04 325/ 11 X328
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    It's my understanding the polycarbonate is affected by heat from the bulb, UV rays from constant exposure to the sun, and abrasion. Keep the car indoors, cool and don't use the lights and they will last a long time. Daily drivers will suffer the most.
    This is on the money, the poly-carbonate is covered in a sealer that eventually wears out and becomes oxidized. I personally like a few products: the 3m kit that comes with the drill attachments are a great professional substitute, Crystal View is a nice professional kit, and Meguires plastx is great for removing oxidation.

Jordan
    Last edited by KillerSE7EN; 05-03-2014 at 07:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe; e28; Elise
    To update the thread, as I had feared, this was a temporary solution. The lights have a heavy haze again.

It should be noted that my car is parked outside almost all the time. Ahh the joys of a one-car garage and no way to permit an extension. :p

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Maybe hit them again with another kit and throw some lamin-x on?

I did this with my second hand OEM M5 headlights I bought off a friend for $200 and they look very nice. I've been hesitant to do my m coupe headlights because they look relatively good at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.lamin-x.com/BMW-Z3-1996-to-2003-s/817.htm

My Cars
    1997 328is
    You need some sort of UV protection coat. Lamin x should work. Some people mix urethane and mineral spirits and paint it on. I think there was a thread recently posted about special headlights clearcoat.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Applying a urethane is the way to go. And that is, after some serious elbow grease (sanding). Mine are holding up very well after about a year with an occasional plexus application.

Here's a thread I posted with the results: LINK

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    If you keep the lights coated with sealant/wax, they also seem to cloud up much more slowly.

This applies with acrylic sealants, at least. Carnauba might not turn out as well.

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    I suggest you do the same process again, but this time invest in some Lamin-X, it'll keep your lights looking like new for a really long time.

My lights on the Z4 are EXTREMELY yellow. I've had them done a few times but I was told that much of the haze went through to the inside and that nothing can be done now :/