Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hella EvoX-R Bixenon Projector Retrofit into 2001/02 e39 Headlights DIY Guide

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Why did you plastidip the high beam bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I've had these projectors and covers in for two weeks now. Last night was the first time the wife had been in the car at night on a country road since the work. Her comment was "I don't know how much you spent on these lights, but whatever it was, it's worth it."
    Haha, awesome!!

My Cars
    '01 540i6, '03 X5 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by theshafro View Post
    Damn, where was this DIY when I was doing my headlight project. Great write up, I've been too lazy to put mine together. There are definitely some things you mentioned that I missed. Mine have Orion V4's in them.
    Nonetheless, I'm going to try retrofitting dual-projectors in mine because I plastidipped the insides black, so my high beam bowl is now useless.
    Also, looking forward to doing projector fog lights, lol I'll have a total of 6 projectors!
    How did you wire up your V4s as OEM replacements? Did you [have to] make a connector (or does it come with one) that connects to the OEM AE power line that feeds the assembly?
    2001 Aspen Silver 540i6 - 180k mi - 3" DUDMD Tune, aFe Intake, M60 Intake Manifold, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars (F&R), e60 SSK

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Why did you plastidip the high beam bowls?
    I was going for this look:

Also, the light output from my AE's aren't scattered everywhere, the plastidip absorbs them, so the rings look nice and sharp, especially during daytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iEP View Post
    How did you wire up your V4s as OEM replacements? Did you [have to] make a connector (or does it come with one) that connects to the OEM AE power line that feeds the assembly?
    I had to make a connector using some quick disconnects and a 9006? (whatever's the connector for the AE harness) connector from some cree LED bulbs.
    Last edited by theshafro; 03-16-2014 at 05:13 AM.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    '01 540i6, '03 X5 4.6is
    Hmmm. I have some old AE bulbs I could use for that....nice job. No resistors or anything needed to be added to whatever umnitza supplied, right?
    2001 Aspen Silver 540i6 - 180k mi - 3" DUDMD Tune, aFe Intake, M60 Intake Manifold, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars (F&R), e60 SSK

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Nope, no resistors needed. But if I were to order these again, Umnitza sells a OEM connector for $15, I'd buy them for sure.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    '01 540i6, '03 X5 4.6is
    Link?

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Ummm...they don't have them on their site, you'll have to email about them.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Nicely done!

I did this whole process a few months ago and am superbly happy. TRS was good to work with and the parts were of fairly high quality. I 100% agree that you should clean everything, thoroughly while apart.

PRO TIP - REPLACE YOUR ADJUSTERS AT THE SAME TIME. I had one broken one and within 2 weeks, the other broke too. This is a fantastic opportunity to do some PM on the lights.

Here are some output shots for those interested in the final product.

Light pool
    pool.jpg

Truck at 60-70 feet
    truck_s1.jpg

Wall at 40-50 feet
    wall_s1.jpg

Down-wall cutoff
    IMG_20140129_184855.jpg

Quad Hi-beams
    HB3.jpg

This is a terrific upgrade, as OE Xenon projectors clearly dull over time...at least ours do.

~ Phillip
    Last edited by LuvMy328is; 03-14-2024 at 10:58 AM.
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    I have some oem Hellas for sale if anyone is interested send me a pm, there a bit broken.... I know adjusters are broken but someone could refurbish them, I'll sell em cheap.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    I have some oem Hellas for sale if anyone is interested send me a pm, there a bit broken.... I know adjusters are broken but someone could refurbish them, I'll sell em cheap.
    Im very interested - want to do a xenon retrofit for a friend so I know how to do it when it comes time to do mine (since I have weeks to do his since Ill be doing it on an extra set, but want to do mine in an out without an extra set to use in the meantime). Clear you PMs bud

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Im very interested - want to do a xenon retrofit for a friend so I know how to do it when it comes time to do mine (since I have weeks to do his since Ill be doing it on an extra set, but want to do mine in an out without an extra set to use in the meantime). Clear you PMs bud
    Will do.

My Cars
    Too many e39s
    Hey Guys,

Just did this retrofit AGAIN on the 'new' 530i we just got. It had halogen lights with broken adjusters... certainly not the case now! The system is currently running Morimoto 5Five 50w ballasts and 5Five bulbs (4300k). It's super bright! Very pleased with the output. I like the color temperature of my CBI's better, but this is a good system as well.

I set up the camera to record most of my work, as I know videos can be much more helpful than just text sometimes. I'll add the videos into the DIY later on, but here they are now if anyone wants to take a look. Ignore the sound, as I don't talk during the videos and just have the radio on (Don't judge me on the music!) Watch in 1080p to see best.

After a 10 minute, 200 degree bake in the oven...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2fjTYh-2Vo

Removing the insides of the light (tried to do it without removing the lower peg, but it broke and I had to glue it in place)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ueZqHRax_c

Removing the halogen projector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0LwnQSsO7s

Installing the new EVOX-R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FpyGxT6iGw
    Last edited by cwise12; 03-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.

03 540i/6 M-Sport (#166 out of 1,265)
    01 540i/6
    01 525iAT
    01 530i
    M62/TU crank holder tool, fan clutch tools, and rear ball joint removal press available for New England members who need them!

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Sweet!! Nice work Cwise..

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    That didn't take long, the vultures strike.

/.randy

My Cars
    E39 525iT
    Wish I could do this with my 03 lights.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 525
    I Have a 2001 525 and the front driver side headlight and rear passenger side amber parking light has no power. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I also put a new battery in about a week before all this happened. thanks for any advice.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Did anyone who did this retrofit come across any clearance issues? I did this last night, and the frame of the new projector was hitting the metal shield that surrounds the fiber optic cables. I bent the shield for clearance, but only after taking the headlight apart a second time when I couldn't get them to aim high enough. I think I stripped the new adjusters before realizing what was happening, because now that headlight points at the ground. FML.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CinciKid View Post
    Wish I could do this with my 03 lights.
    You can! Mine is an '03 (10/02 production) with the unbakeable sealant and I replaced the lenses with the DJ Auto euro lenses. I cut through the stock clear lens around the perimeter with a Dremel, and then cut/pried out the remaining plastic with a plexiglass cutter and some screwdrivers. It helps this way because you can cut the sealant on the inside and outside of the lens. I mangled the black plastic in some areas, but they seal perfectly with no condensation. I used 3M window seal to put them back together, and now I can bake mine apart.

My Cars
    Too many e39s
    Quote Originally Posted by RLNTLS1 View Post
    Did anyone who did this retrofit come across any clearance issues? I did this last night, and the frame of the new projector was hitting the metal shield that surrounds the fiber optic cables. I bent the shield for clearance, but only after taking the headlight apart a second time when I couldn't get them to aim high enough. I think I stripped the new adjusters before realizing what was happening, because now that headlight points at the ground. FML.
    I had to do this too. I contacted Stuck about it, but he didn't mention having any issues. I wonder if it's a difference between halogen and xenon based lights?

I simply bent the metal frame with some pliers, worked fine.

03 540i/6 M-Sport (#166 out of 1,265)
    01 540i/6
    01 525iAT
    01 530i
    M62/TU crank holder tool, fan clutch tools, and rear ball joint removal press available for New England members who need them!

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Ahh it might be a halogen/xenon issue, didn't think of that.

I was able to get my headlights aimed at a reasonable height after bending the shield, but I still feel they are aimed too low. The adjusters are maxed out, so I may take the lenses off again in the spring to see if I can make any adjustments. The shutter on my driver's side Evox-R sticks when opened, so I want to open them up to lubricate that anyway. I currently have the bixenon function disconnected.

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Great write up this! Will be helpful when I do mine. Now I'm glad I moved from UK so I can use LHD EvoX-Rs .

One question - where does the wiring for the solenoid emerge? Does it just squeeze it's way out between the back of the projector and the rubber boot?

Quote Originally Posted by RLNTLS1 View Post
    You can! Mine is an '03 (10/02 production) with the unbakeable sealant and I replaced the lenses with the DJ Auto euro lenses. I cut through the stock clear lens around the perimeter with a Dremel, and then cut/pried out the remaining plastic with a plexiglass cutter and some screwdrivers. It helps this way because you can cut the sealant on the inside and outside of the lens. I mangled the black plastic in some areas, but they seal perfectly with no condensation. I used 3M window seal to put them back together, and now I can bake mine apart.
    This is great to read. I was sure my lights should be bakeable being early 01 build and the adhesive is definitely black and rubbery and not hard epoxy that I expected to see on unbakeables. But in my recent attempt to bake to replace adjusters there was no way they were coming apart even raising the temperature and time as much as I was comfortable. Any attempt to pry, whilst the adhesive seemed to flex slightly, it was just damaging the black plastic.

Now new lenses are available I had seen a video on cutting the old lens off, and reading this confirmation is further reassuring I can do this way and replace the lenses. Just one concern though - I see from write ups and videos that after you split the lights you need to take off the black shroud with the angel eyes, and this needs heating off too. So my concern was if the lens is unbakeable, maybe this shroud is too? You have obviously succeeded though! How did that part go? Any issues separating the angel eye shroud?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam79 View Post
    Great write up this! Will be helpful when I do mine. Now I'm glad I moved from UK so I can use LHD EvoX-Rs .

One question - where does the wiring for the solenoid emerge? Does it just squeeze it's way out between the back of the projector and the rubber boot?

This is great to read. I was sure my lights should be bakeable being early 01 build and the adhesive is definitely black and rubbery and not hard epoxy that I expected to see on unbakeables. But in my recent attempt to bake to replace adjusters there was no way they were coming apart even raising the temperature and time as much as I was comfortable. Any attempt to pry, whilst the adhesive seemed to flex slightly, it was just damaging the black plastic.

Now new lenses are available I had seen a video on cutting the old lens off, and reading this confirmation is further reassuring I can do this way and replace the lenses. Just one concern though - I see from write ups and videos that after you split the lights you need to take off the black shroud with the angel eyes, and this needs heating off too. So my concern was if the lens is unbakeable, maybe this shroud is too? You have obviously succeeded though! How did that part go? Any issues separating the angel eye shroud?

Thanks,
    Liam and I spoke via PM, but I just wanted to let anyone else interested know that the inner black shroud is only attached by a couple posts/feet that sit in the adhesive. It is not sealed around the entire perimeter. I didn't have any trouble removing my shroud from the un-bakeable adhesive once the remaining lens plastic was removed.

My Cars
    2002 525i Toledo Blau.
    cwise,

Do you also have a youtube video of the aiming process of the projector? cause i tend to do this in a halogen headlight but need to know how to aim them propperly.

My Cars
    BMW 525d turing

evox-r e39

hello, where i could buy evox-r lens ?
    p.m. me to mark.sessek at gmail

My Cars
    2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwise12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cwise12 View Post
    Remove all bulbs and rubber boots from the light. All bulbs will twist free, and the boots will pull right off. I've found that the boots are sometimes a bit stubborn and need to be broken free from the assemblies with a flat-head screwdriver around their circumference. Remove the plastic ring where the high beam bulb mounts.

thank you guys for great instructions, images and videos.

after reading this, I have felt inspired to attempt my 2000/12 production xenon lights (the car itself is 2001/03).

I am stucked at the step above, where I cannot remove the lowbeam D2S bulb. Also I have taken out 3 torx T20 screws holding a triangle cover between high and low beam. I assume this is the level adjustment device because when I try to pull it out it moves together with the lowbeam bulb (which I cannot remove)

Anyone had problems with lowbeam and levelling device removal? The over bulbs just easily twisted out, this one does not :/

update:

I have removed now all but the levelling unit. My adjusters are not broken it seems, but how do I disconnect the levelling unit from the headlight? Pulling it up creates resistance, I am concern I will break something if I apply more force? Do I have to disconnect the plastic white adjusters before pulling the motor out? How?
    Last edited by stratu; 09-25-2016 at 04:01 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39
    Hello cwise12,
    for mounting the Facelift-Hella Xenon (right side) in my E39-1998, i need the same curved air conditioning filling pipe... with the original straight pipe is it not possible, how selfmade ?
    Thanks a lot, and have a nice day !
    Fred

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast