Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strage Wheel Lock, need help!

My Cars
    997TT

Strage Wheel Lock, need help!

So my roadster has a wheel lock i have never seen in my life. My fault for not noticing it before I bought it. But i'm stuck with it now and BMW dealer and independent dealer haven't seen them before. Of course I don't have the key

It's going to be a serious challenge to get it off without the key due to it's size. Anyone seen this before help would be greatly appreciated!

My Rides: 2007 911 Turbo - 2000 Cherokee
    Sold: 2011 M3, E46 M3, 1998 M Roadster

-Jared

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    My CPO '99 came with a set like that. I'll try to get some inside/out pics for you later on...

My Cars
    997TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    My CPO '99 came with a set like that. I'll try to get some inside/out pics for you later on...
    OMG you would be a lifesaver. The BMW dealer and aftermarket shop i went to said it would be a mess to get off due to the limited space around the nut. I don't even know what is under there and if the cover can be cut off. Curious if the key is even available.... they look old

-Jared

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I would check with a good locksmith. They may be able to pick the locks or make a key.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    997TT
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    I would check with a good locksmith. They may be able to pick the locks or make a key.
    that's next on my list of resolutions.

-Jared

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    That looks like you could probably drill it out with a good left-handed drillbit.

I wouldn't try to grab it from the outside, you'll mess up the wheel.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Bummer, what a drag...

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
    that's next on my list of resolutions.
    By far, your best option!

All four (4) of my locks use the same (BMW marked...) key, and four (4) keys were provided__so where did ALL yours go__so have the locksmith knock out one (1) key in his parking lot (assuming you don't have a flat already) and either can them once they're all removed, or get a couple keys made.

Have you tried to contact the seller to see if you can get them?

My Cars
    997TT
    By far, your best option!

All four (4) of my locks use the same (BMW marked...) key, and four (4) keys were provided__so where did ALL yours go__so have the locksmith knock out one (1) key in his parking lot (assuming you don't have a flat already) and either can them once they're all removed, or get a couple keys made.

Have you tried to contact the seller to see if you can get them?
    Got the car from a dealer. They didn't have the key. Trying to locate the old owner. No luck yet. I should have noticed it before I got the car. Do you have photos of the key or a part number?

-Jared

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Those look to be oem locks. I've got two sets, one with the original box. Too bad you're not local, I'd let you try my two sets of keys out. But I'm 99% sure they are oem, so the dealer should be able to help you. When I get home, I'll look for a part number on the box.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Got the car from a dealer. They didn't have the key. Trying to locate the old owner. No luck yet. I should have noticed it before I got the car. Do you have photos of the key or a part number?
    A BMW dealer? Because they're not looking too competent if they are...

- - - Updated - - -

Silly question, but did you look in the tool tray, to see if one (1) was put there?

My Cars
    997TT
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    Those look to be oem locks. I've got two sets, one with the original box. Too bad you're not local, I'd let you try my two sets of keys out. But I'm 99% sure they are oem, so the dealer should be able to help you. When I get home, I'll look for a part number on the box.
    Willing to ship them and I could ship them back? I'll pay! Easier than drilling them off.

A BMW dealer? Because they're not looking too competent if they are...

- - - Updated - - -

Silly question, but did you look in the tool tray, to see if one (1) was put there?
    Was an after market dealer I bought the car from. BMW dealer I showed them too had younger techs so they said they never saw them before, also never see M roadsters come in. Not in the tool tray.

Any of you have a part number? Are you sure they are Bmw oem?

-Jared

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Here is a link to the 1997 BMW wheel locks - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=36&fg=25

The the locks shown on RealOEM don't look like the locks you have, but the do look like the BMW locks I got in 2002. Unless they are locks for another model, I don't think they are BMW wheel locks. Since others have them, I wonder if they are some type of dealer option.
    Last edited by khammack; 04-24-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    My wheel lock keys have BMW Roundels on them, and they don't like others using their trademarked logo; ask Jon Maddox (Leather Z co-creator) he framed the cease and desist order from BMW's legal affairs dept...

My Cars
    997TT
    Here is a link to the 1997 BMW wheel locks - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=36&fg=25

The the locks shown on RealOEM don't look like the locks you have, but the do look like the BMW locks I got in 2002. Unless they are locks for another model, I don't think they are BMW wheel locks. Since others have them, I wonder if they are some type of dealer option.
    Yeah. Not them. Damn. Worst part is finding them. I can't even find the right unique words in google.

My wheel lock keys have BMW Roundels on them, and they don't like others using their trademarked logo; ask Jon Maddox (Leather Z co-creator) he framed the cease and desist order from BMW's legal affairs dept...
    So these are not them? I'm confused now, are yours similar? How can Jon Maddox help?

-Jared

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I think Randy was using Jon as an example that BMW doesn't like other people using their logo so if it has a BMW logo, there is a good chance it was made for BMW.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Here's my original box. There appears to be a BMW part number on the bottom right of the box. The keys are stamped with a code number that I assume corresponds to the lock cylinder. Both my lock sets use different keys, but the lock set doesn't have a stamp on it. But at least you should be able to go back to the BMW dealer and see if they can help you, considering it's a BMW product.

Edit: Yep, it's a BMW part number

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=36&fg=25&hl=1

I guess I should add this to my parts I'm hoarding list, lol.
    Last edited by robrez; 04-25-2014 at 12:51 AM.

My Cars
    997TT
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    Here's my original box. There appears to be a BMW part number on the bottom right of the box. The keys are stamped with a code number that I assume corresponds to the lock cylinder. Both my lock sets use different keys, but the lock set doesn't have a stamp on it. But at least you should be able to go back to the BMW dealer and see if they can help you, considering it's a BMW product.

Edit: Yep, it's a BMW part number

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=36&fg=25&hl=1

I guess I should add this to my parts I'm hoarding list, lol.
    You are the best! That's awesome. Once they babies are off I'm getting locks from this decade

-Jared

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    But wait, there's more!

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Looks like if you drill out the center, the rest will come right off.

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    So that's what there keys are for. I found a set in a salvaged car once and had no idea where these would go. I guess it is true that you learn something new everyday.

My Cars
    997TT
    Mystery wheel lock issue solved. Package Showed up on my doorstep today from the original owner with original booklet and everything. Courtesy of the dealership reaching out to him. Turns out he had an extra key too

Gotta listen to the cassette.

Thanks for all the help!

-Jared

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Nice. That's pretty cool.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    997TT
    If anyone wants the cassette let me know

-Jared

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    If anyone wants the cassette let me know
    Pick me! Pick me!

I have a B&O cassette deck in the garage__I could listen to it while working on someone's Z3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast