Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: EURO Spec Lower Dash Conversion

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i

DIY: EURO Spec Lower Dash Conversion

For those interested in buying a used retrofit kit,

Black & Gray Vinyl versions can be found here: http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/E39/Equipment_-_accesories/Equipment-styling_-_inside/page1.htm#1960307

One with the lower steering column trim , and one without.

Note that they come with auto lower panel covers, the Manual configuration is pre-indented so it can either be punched out or easily cut out.

This is a DIY for converting the E39 lower dash portion to Euro spec.
    Overall this DIY is not too hard if your an avid-DIY'er. I personally found this not too complicated.

The hardest part is first of all knowing what to take out and how it goes back in. Other than that it's:
    1. Glove box (kinda hard to realign a used one for some reason
    2. Cutting metal for the driver side storage cubby.
    3. Glove box lock cylinder (A transfer of handle w/ cylinder is necessary)

First and foremost, if you don't know what the euro spec dash consist of or why it's a cool mod, check out zeckhausen "E39 Euro dash retrofit". Big thanks to them for posting up all the part #'s necessary!

Please use this DIY as a source of reference ONLY! I take no responsibility for you messing up your car!

Now for the fun... Getting this all changed out! Take note, most screws are Phillips or torx.

First and foremost, remove the 3 dash trim pieces and put them somewhere clean. Best use an angled pry tool.

Remove the Nav / MID from the bracket (Nav users may need to disconnect batter to remove screen)
    MID screens use a hex key.

Next: removal of glove box:
    There are 2 pinch pins on both sides of the glove box. Inserting an ice pick, small flat head, or pick tool will pop the pin off. Repeat this on the other side which is located at the base of the glove box shock.

There is a black panel under the glove box that hides the glove box screws, this panel can be removed by pulling out and down towards the seat. Once the panel is out, unscrew the glove box bolts (10mm) and be sure to disconnect the flashlight cord.

Now back to the dash removal. You now have better access to even more screws! There are 3 screws directly under the dash from inside the glove box

There are also 2 screws on a black panel to the left of where the glove box was. Remove the screws and pull the panel towards the seat.

Remove lower carpet/leather kick panel (1 screw and slide back towards seat).

This will expose another screw. This one holds the lower dash to the center console. This is a 7mm socket.

Back over to the right side of the glove box. There is 1 screw under the dash that holds the dash to the car.
    There is also 1 screw under a cap on the side panel that is covered when the door is closed, remove cap and take out the screw.

The passenger side is now done... Now to the driver side.
    It is best to work from the bottom up.. you don't want the panel falling down on you.

First, remove the plastic panel. There are a bunch of screws and to twist rivets next to the pedals (Arrows). Simply turn and pull them.

Once the panel is free, to take out the "Gong" module, simply press inwards on the tabs (Boxes in pics) and it will pop out.

Now to remove the lower steering column piece, first unscrew this screw on the bottom.

Next, use a pick tool to separate the lower and upper pieces.. It works better to have the column at full out extension. Start from the back (engine) working out (seat) and the piece should slowly separate.

Now move up the top, there are 3 more screws. 2 on the left and 1 on the right. take these out and the kick panel should now be free.

With it free now remove the OBD port. Pull back on the blue plug (pull parallel) and remove the cord (Pull perpendicular)

The OBD flap cover is removed by pushing on the 4 plastic tabs... it should pop out once pushed out.

The final piece in freeing the dash is this final screw right next to the heater duct.

Now you can remove the large dash piece with very little effort!

Insert new dash panel

Re-install glove box... this was a bit hard since i moved the alignment screws.

Here comes the technical part.. In US spec E39s there is a metal shield where the driver cubby should go... You need to cut the metal or else the panel will not fit!

The problem solver.

Once you are done cutting, test fit the panel.. I had to use the good ol' Jeremy Clarkson method to smooth out the cuts. (For those who don't know.. I used a hammer)
    When it's ready to be installed, just screw from the top down.

To remove the heater duct, simply pull very hard on it and pop in the new one.. Sorry no pics.

Next, re-install the lower black plastic panel.

Tada!

Now go back and use the reverse process to put the rest of the dash back together.

Update: Glove box latch problem = SOLVED

Instead of having to source an old key to swap tumblers, you can actually swap the entire latch.

After reading a few broken latch DIY's there is a way to take apart the assembly.

To start, all you need to do is remove the 2 cylindrical pins holding the metal assembly together.. See red circle below.

Once removed, the only thing holding the Euro latch in place is the tension spring, just wiggle it the metal bracket out... the spring will come to rest against the plastic latch.

Pic of removed metal bracket:

Repeat this procedure on the US spec latch, and you are set! It does help to have an assistant to pull back tension on the spring so you can re-insert the metal bracket onto your latch.

Upon re-installation, simply push the pins firmly into the socket with the pliers.

Now the DIY is 100%.. Glad you all like it

Fun times!

Last edited by Dking078; 03-15-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Thanks for the DIY. I have never understood as to why did we ever get the lower dash and not he higher dash. I've never liked it as it kind of crushes your legs and there's isn't much room to adjust your seat to give room down there. Then everytime I have to re-adjust the passenger seat after giving a ride to a buddy of mine or to anyone. Everytime they sit the seat is pushed back and lowered down to the floor. I hate it!

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Thanks for the DIY. I have never understood as to why did we ever get the lower dash and not he higher dash. I've never liked it as it kind of crushes your legs and there's isn't much room to adjust your seat to give room down there. Then everytime I have to re-adjust the passenger seat after giving a ride to a buddy of mine or to anyone. Everytime they sit the seat is pushed back and lowered down to the floor. I hate it!
    I know, I hated it too.

They put the big panels because if you're 175-lbs, drive without a seat belt, and get in a frontal collision, you would "Submarine" down under the dash.

The US spec dash will push your knees into the padding and prevent said situation.

I always wear one, so the upgrade is not detrimental.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    There was already a DIY thread that I saw long time ago but it wasn't here on BFC. I think I saw it in a dedicated E39/E38 website.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    I've always wanted to complete this mod. Where did you locate the pieces and how much was it?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    There was already a DIY thread that I saw long time ago but it wasn't here on BFC. I think I saw it in a dedicated E39/E38 website.
    Dave Z use to be on Roadfly when he did this conversion. I saw his 540 after it was done, it really gives you more front space that allows the pass seat to be moved forward more so the back seat occupant has some leg room.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Gold! Thanks for taking your time and posting this.
    I am assuming you got your parts on EU ebay? How much did it run you?

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    I got the parts from a dismantler in Germany... Ebay was unresponsive and no-one has all the parts in one place... Let alone, And even ones that have most parts, refuse to ship to the USA.
    Cost was a couple of hundred... I may be importing some kits. sshhh

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Dave Z use to be on Roadfly when he did this conversion. I saw his 540 after it was done, it really gives you more front space that allows the pass seat to be moved forward more so the back seat occupant has some leg room.
    Yeah, everytime the seat is pushed back I think of the rear passengers getting crumbled in there. Unless if there's someone I don't like then I don't care.

j/k

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    Maybe we can do a group order if the OP has a reliable source? I'll take mine in black please. M5 leather would be a plus!

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE31 View Post
    Maybe we can do a group order if the OP has a reliable source? I'll take mine in black please. M5 leather would be a plus!
    Actually I'm already in the process of trying to do this!

For now, I am only going to shoot for black vinyl kits.

See here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...nversions.html

If I can get enough interest in this price range I will message them and see if they will want to make it happen.

My set was a bit on the expensive side, but I would try to get a lower price.
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-08-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3
    Fantastic write up and photo shoot!
    2003 530i Sport; Blk/Blk; 6 spd; Brembo; Dinan Stage 2; BBS RS-GT; Zionville
    VF Engineering SC V3 for sale here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...E39-6-Cylinder

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Sweet mod, good for plenty of room or other activities. Please keep posted if your able to work something out.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    It's a nice mod, but it's not 1/3 of a grand nice + labor. I'd rather spend that money on other things (GPS, Audio mods, leather door cards, etc). Would have to get the price a lot lower for me to be interested. Just my 2 cents though. My ideal E39 would definitely have the Euro option though.

My Cars
    528i, 328iC, (2) 635 CSi
    After riding for 8 hours in the passenger seat of our e39 with a kids seat behind me, I'd gladly pay $300-$350 for a tan euro dash to get a few more inches of knee room...

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
    After riding for 8 hours in the passenger seat of our e39 with a kids seat behind me, I'd gladly pay $300-$350 for a tan euro dash to get a few more inches of knee room...
    Too bad youre not looking for a black dash, i should have an extra one coming in from europe soon.

I did this install a few weeks ago and i loooove it. The dash looks a lot nicer, and the lower portion now lines up with the door cards, so it flows nicely.

The little storage cubby on the lower left side is great too. I have a bluetooth OBDII scan tool plugged it at all times and paired with a phone so i can use the torque app to monitor engine temps and such. The original position of the OBDII port meant i was constantly hitting the scan tool on the way in and out, but now it's nicely hidden and out of the way.

I also relocated my headlight and foglight switches when i installed gauges in their place. The cubby makes a nice storage space for those switches as well.

My Cars
    z3
    DK you need some black carpets!!!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    DK you need some black carpets!!!
    NEVER! I like the gray contrast ... I did a carpet swap for a friend (Beige to black) once...ONCE. It's so much work! (But the hardest part was removing the manual gas pedal.. sucker holds on pretty well)

For those who want used vinyl retrofit kits, Send robert@schmiedmann.com a messege (www.schmiedmann.com).

Just give them the part numbers of the kit you want (http://www.zeckhausen.com/eurodash.htm)
    Last edited by Dking078; 05-03-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    NEVER! I like the gray contrast ... I did a carpet swap for a friend (Beige to black) once...ONCE. It's so much work!
    Huh? I don't get it. How hard can it be? Also, I think he was referring to the floor mats.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Huh? I don't get it. How hard can it be? Also, I think he was referring to the floor mats.
    The OP has black floor mats already but grey carpets.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Well, it's late here and I need to go to sleep as I've got work tomorrow so as you can see my mind is not where it should be.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Well, it's late here and I need to go to sleep as I've got work tomorrow so as you can see my mind is not where it should be.
    Goodnight then. Don't let the bed bugs bite.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    It's okay. Don't worry. I've got two cats that will take care of it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M5
    "Actually I'm already in the process of trying to do this!

"For now, I am only going to shoot for black vinyl kits.

"See here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...nversions.html

"If I can get enough interest in this price range I will message them and see if they will want to make it happen.

"My set was a bit on the expensive side, but I would try to get a lower price."

- Am interested; count me in on a set w/good pricing. Undamaged, used black vinyl is AOK, too! Stephen, Santa Fe, NM

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    If you want a kit, order directly through schmiedmann
    I chose not to bring/sell sets over due to shipping costs on my end.
    Last edited by Dking078; 03-15-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast