Thread: " Code Wait " - Can anyone get me the code for my radio?

My Cars
    02 Audi A6, 99 M coupe

" Code Wait " - Can anyone get me the code for my radio?

hello,

I had to disconnect battery during the steering swap and didnt realize that my stereo would need a code.

After trying a couple of random combinations the sereo is now stuck on "code wait".

Google search shows I can get rid of the "code wait" if I leave the key in No-2 position for 90 minutes.

Assuming that is correct, how can I get the code for my radio?

Are there any regular members here who also work at a dealership?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I called my dealer and the VERY helpful service manager told me I could call back with the serial number and she will provide the code - she also explained how I could remove the radio, something she remembered just off teh top of her head - very impressed - Kudos to heather at Leith BMW in Raleigh

Mods - you can delete this post or keep it for future reference... your choice
    02 E39 M5
    02 A6
    99 M Coupe
    04 Aprilia RS250 (Track tool)

-

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0i
    Radio Security Code and Programming/Service Modes

The information displayed may vary slightly based on the model and year of the radio. However, AREA, GAL and Serial Number appear on all Business CD radios.

In the zippered holder is a card with the "Radio Code." It is an antitheft device. If someone steals the radio the code must be entered to activate the radio. Likewise, if the car's battery goes dead or is disconnected for safety reasons during service the radio will prompt you to enter the code when power is re-applied.

The radio will display:

CODE - - - - -

Enter the 5-digit Radio Code (My Radio Code is XXXXX) using the radios preset buttons. This number also appears on your Radio Code card. After entering the fifth digit the radio will activate. Any presets you had before the power loss will return. Apparently a capacitor in the radio holds that information.

You are given 3 attempts to enter the correct code. On the 3rd failed attempt the radio goes into CODE WAIT mode. at this point you must leave the radio on for 1 hour and it will reset to CODE - - - - - .

NOTE: I have heard of Zers being given 4-digit Radio Codes by dealerships. 4-digit codes are for European radio reset. Some dealerships can see the 4-digit Radio Codes but will not give it to the customer because they think, "it's not 5-digits so it will not activate the radio". 4-digit codes are for European radio reset. If the dealership has a 4-digit code - take it along with the Blaupunkt and Alpine 5-digit codes. You can change the AREA to EUROPE (see below) and enter the 4-digit code to activate the radio then change it back to USA.

If you do not have a Radio Code card among your vehicle books and paperwork, retrieve your radio's serial number (without removing the radio from the dash) and call or visit your local BMW dealer and they will be able to lookup your Radio Code.

Some dealers will tell you they must remove the radio from the dash to retrieve the serial number - not true.

Some dealers will charge you to lookup the serial number and/or remove the radio from the dash - not ethical. You own the car, radio, and the serial number.

NOTE: There are different manufacturers of the BMW branded radios. One is Blaupunkt and the other is Alpine. To add to the confusion, there are Blaupunkt and Alpine radios with the same serial numbers. The dealer’s lookup system requests the manufacturer. So, be sure to ask the dealer to lookup the Radio Code under both manufacturers.

To Retrieve your radio’s serial number:

Enter the radio’s programming/service mode. To do this, turn on the radio then, hold down the m button on the left lower portion of the radio’s faceplate for about 10 seconds. The display will change to the radio’s serial number. If radio does not display the serial number, scroll through the various displays by pressing the + button on the left upper portion of the radio. To get out of programming/service mode turn the radio off by pressing the volume control.

The following information is not in the radio owner’s manual.

When in programming/service mode you can scroll through a variety of displays. The only display of any real importance is the GAL. There is no information about GAL in the owner’s manual. Please read below.

The following displays are available:

SN 29981972 – this is your actual serial number which also appears on the Radio Code card
    GI 45
    GAL 4
    HI 321403
    - SIM 111100D
    - SIP 141401
    Station Signal Strength is Displayed
    DSP 0 V 00
    AREA USA
    VIEW 3
    AF MAN
    ########### (blank display – see explanation below)

Explanations of Radio Display Symbols

SN is the serial number of the radio itself needed to get the Radio Code if you lose the card. Contact a BMW dealer, tell them the radio serial number, show your registration, and will get your code from their computer. I have good relationship with my dealer and I can just call in and they’ll give me the number.

GI – no idea

GAL (adjustable 1,2,3,4,5,6 using radio preset buttons). This sets the speed sensitive volume control. The higher the number the loader the radio volume automatically becomes as you hit 40mph. It compensates for wind noise due to the top being down. When you slow to below 40mph it returns to your original (idle) setting. I have used it as high as 5 in summer and turned it down to 4 in winter when the top is up. Set to best meet your needs.
    GAL = G = Geschwindigkeits (speed), A = Abh˙ngige (dependent), L = Lautst˙rkeregelung (loudness gain control)

HI – no idea. When in this mode pressing the (right arrow) the display changes to
    SIM – no idea - push (right arrow) again and it changes to
    SIP – no idea

Station signal strength is displayed – you can change the station and the display will show you the signal strength of that station.

DSP probably means Dolby Surround Processing, or Digital Signal Processor, DSP does not apply to this model radio in a Z3.

AREA is adjusted using the preset button 1. Area refers to the area country where the radio is being used. Pressing preset button 1 scrolls through the following options; USA, CANADA, OC+RDS (no idea+Radio Data System), JAPAN, NO AREA, EUROPE. Note: with the OC+RDS option selected the Radio Data System (RDS) works. I like receiving the messages sent by radio stations; song title and artist, station call letters and/or slogan, etc. Note, the tuning increments change based on the country. In the USA, all FM frequencies end in odd numbers i.e.: 101.5 and 98.7. In other countries FM and AM increments are different.

VIEW (adjustable 1,2,3,4 using the preset buttons) 3 is brightest other than that I have no idea.

AF Auto (something)? Options are MAN and OFF. Well, I know it doesn't stand for Auto Focus.

########### Blank display used to test the LEDs. By pressing radio presets 1, 2, 3, 4 the display scrolls through a set of patterns so that any bad LEDs are easy to see.

MORE INFO

RE: "MUTE" control function

I do believe from my research and trials that this info only applies to those of you who have the HK BMW Business in dash CD head unit.

If your radio head unit has a button on the right side of the station presets that has a printed "PTY and "RDS" on it this info is most likely useless.

If your radio head unit has a button on the right side of the station presets that has 2 horizontal slashes ( - - ), and a small display above that button separate from the main display, then this info should work for you.

The reason for this seems to be that the slashes indicate variable/choosable functions for these buttons. Obviously, the printed ones have pre-determined functions only (PTY/RDS)

FYI; Following the instructions below will delete your radio presets. If you choose to retain them write them down now.

1) turn the radio off
    2) turn it back on again & don’t touch any buttons
    3) hold down the 'M' on the right for 10 seconds, this will bring up the radio serial #
    4) depress the '+' key on the left under the volume knob 6 times until the word "AREA" displays it should say USA next to it
    5) now depress the position #1 preset button until the words "AREA OC+RDS appear
    6) turn the radio off and your new choices will be set

There is a small display to the right of the large display which originally should have displayed RDS*PTY
    When your thru with this reset, it should display RDS*MUTE

When you press the slash under MUTE, it soft fades out to just above silent, push again and it fades back up to the preset volume level.
    FYI: One thing I noticed is that after the MUTE function is programmed, the ST does not display any longer next to the station number, but it still receives in stereo mode. Also, when turning the radio back on, the words "REG OFF" appear. I have no idea what this means, but it hasn’t changed anything that I saw or used before and now I have the MUTE as well.

Now, before everyone starts asking, there are MANY other displays and function screens which come up while programming this option. I have NO idea what they do, and nobody has been able to give an accurate answer, including the dealer.

Adjusting the HK auto volume

While in the program mode, depress the '+' key until the word GAL appears, it should have a 3 next to it (normal factory preset). By using the station presets, you can choose a sensitivity level from 1 thru 6
    (1 = min sensitivity ~ 6 = max sensitivity. Turn the radio off and it will be set.

Also while scanning thru the program options with the '+' key, you will see one display that shows your station presets on the display with a number to the right. It is the signal strength of the station that is selected at that time; 1 weakest/15 strongest. You can survey all your preset stations by pressing each preset key.

NTHUZST
    2015 MINI Cooper S
    Chili Red/Black

My Cars
    02 Audi A6, 99 M coupe
    Oh wow - Thank you
    02 E39 M5
    02 A6
    99 M Coupe
    04 Aprilia RS250 (Track tool)

-