Thread: My E46 323i LS1 Swap.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

My E46 323i LS1 Swap.

Guess it is time to make this post. After years of driving an LS1 E36 I decided to go to an E46. Sold my E36 chassis and Swap parts but kept the motor. Friday I brought home a project car. It's a 2000 (march build) 323i with 160,000 miles with a manual transmission. Good engine but the clutch is slipping badly. Agreed to buy it for $1500 sight unseen as I needed a motor for my daughters E46 and thought it might be good for parts. Turns out the car was in decent shape and I'll use it as my project car. The fact that it is black and tan and my E36 Ls1 was black and tan doesn't hurt either.

Picture from the Advertizement

00Q0Q_2EwvkKLNDQ3_600x450.jpg

Towing it home
    1511466_10201402188761851_1048126470_n.jpg

In the garage at home
    IMG_2571small.jpg

The engine and trans that will go in.
    IMG_2272.jpg

It's a beginning. But I doubt much more will happen until the weather gets warm (or my daughters car's engine goes totally out.)

Thaniel.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    So far, so good
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Joining for another great swap story
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    01 M3
    in for the updates!

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    It is sooo cold outside. Too cold to do any more than just planning on what to do next. Realized I never mentioned much about my goals for this swap. It's theme will be

"Motor quiet, Stereo Loud".

I'm already planning the stereo upgrades. I don't want exhaust noise or NVH to interfere so i'll be trying to preserve the OEM NVH BMW feel as much as possible. Willing to sacrifice some HP to trade for crusing comfort :-) yes I must be getting old. This time I think I'll put some money into the cosmetics too. Mostly the interior. Might even do that first. Will see how it goes. Thought it would be fun to outline my plans. Always fun to look back at the end of the project and see how close to plan things went.

Plans so far:
    Engine/trans : 2002 LS1/T56 which I already have. No plans to modify it.
    Mounts: I'll utilize OEM BMW rubber engine mounts to help with NVH. The metal brackets to go between the mount and engine I'll fab myself. Trans I'm thinking of using a OEM Fbody trans mount.
    Oil Pan: Probably the holley pan. That seems to be the trend. I'd like to see how badly the Fbody pan fits just to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Driveshaft: I want to try to just have the front half of the OEM driveshaft converted to match the T56. Have to see how that goes.
    Exhaust: Thinking of buying some shorty headers and modifying them to fit. Unless some headers for cheap drop out of the sky I'm doubting I'll cough up the money for long tubes. For a muffler I'm thinking of using a 323i muffler I have on the shelf with a single inlet (it's nearly 3"). That way the officals looking at it can't pull me over for "inappropriate exhaust" again. Not sure what else will go between but expect at least a catalyst and maybe even some flex couplers to reduce NVH.
    Wire Harness/electrical integration: I'll make up the harness. It's not that hard. Will remove the BMW DME and put in an Adrunio/can bus interface designe by me :-)
    Rear Diff: For now it'll stay OEM non M. I never broke my factory E36 diff. However not being limited slip will not cut it. Toying with putting a E36 LSD carrier into the E46 case. It takes customizing but can be done.
    A/C: This time I WILL have A/C I'm thinking of using the BMW compressor and just attaching it to the LS1 as that seems the simplest. But using the LS1 compressor and custom lines is a possiblity too.

The interior/stereo improvements I'll not dwell on in this forum. I want to get the interior into "like new condition" as much as possible without spending too much. The stereo will utilize the factory head unit, my home made ipod controller, Subwoofer(s) and aftermarket component speakers. I'd love to get some mid bass speakers in the doors (cutting metal to get them to fit is ok by me). I had Mid bass speakers in my E36 kick panels (yes I had to cut metal to fit them there too) and it was great.

It needs to warm up.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 01-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Subscribed. Sounds like the perfect DD.

My Cars
    1986 RX7 GXL + 5.3L LM7
    I've done an FC Rx-7 swap fabbing my own mounts and most everything else (5.3L/T-56) and after a while I decided I really didn't like the FC much, tight fit with the steering wheel to my legs and not too great looking a car anyway IMO. I've been thinking about a 3 series swap for a long time, first in an E36 that I was daily driving but the interior and age of the car turned me off. I ended up selling it and taking the motor/trans from my FC and scrapping the chassis. Now I have an 02 325i and I'm debating between swapping it into that or trying to find a cheap RX-8 with a blown motor to swap into.

On the E46 I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of ripping out the rear sub-frame mounting points and another downside is that it has an open (and not incredibly stout) differential. Have you thought about how to address these issues?

I noticed that Vorschlag came out with a mounting kit for the E46 recently, and if you buy most of it besides the headers it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.

edit: I noticed you mentioned keeping the open diff...even with the stock motor (~190 hp) I get tire spin on the inner tire when cornering hard, I think it might become a big deal when significant power is added.
    Last edited by LSW; 01-27-2014 at 03:14 AM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by LSW View Post
    first in an E36 that I was daily driving but the interior and age of the car turned me off.
    I hear you there. My E36 was fun but the interior was never it's high pont.

On the E46 I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of ripping out the rear sub-frame mounting points and another downside is that it has an open (and not incredibly stout) differential. Have you thought about how to address these issues?
    There are subframe reinformcement kits available. Similar problem existed in the E36's as well and LS1 versions have been known to rip the diff off the mounts. But my E36-LS1 never did. But I didn't run race rubber or do clutch dumps and burn outs. I'm thinking the need for reinforcement depends on what the car is going to be used for.

The open diff. To be honest this is what kept me from doing an E46 LS1 earlier. Open diffs suck and the price to upgrade is high. If this were my only E46 I'd probably just put in a non BMW diff like some others have done. Or swap in the M3 rear end (If I found the right deal I'd still do this). But since I have several E46's I'm thinking of going down the road of a LSD into the E46 case. I've seen it done. Takes some work but It can be done. And since it uses the factory case I can worry about it after the car is driving with the LS1.

I noticed that Vorschlag came out with a mounting kit for the E46 recently, and if you buy most of it besides the headers it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.
    Their mounts seem to be more race oriented and far to stiff for what i'm wanting. But if one was making more of a racer sure.

By the way I drove an FC Rx7 for about 13 years. I still like them. But they are a bit dated now.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 01-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    subbed for sure
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    A lot of people change the wheels on their car. I kept the wheels and changed the car
    Old LS1 E36
    BlackBMWI.jpg

New car same wheels and tires:
    blackBMWII.jpg

Wheels are the staggered M series with 225's on the front and 245's on the rear. Since the weather was nice last saturday I started cleaning up the interior. Also took a look underneath while changing the wheels. To my pleasure it looks like it has not been banged up. the plastic bits under the front corners of the bumper were all still intact. All the BMW's I bought before had at least one side or another broken or missing.

Also started on the conversion of the steering wheel. Much to my surprise it did not come with the buttons on the wheel. Despite being 'prewired for telephone'. How is one going to use this prewiring with no buttons on the wheel!!! It has buttons now but i'm painting the steering wheel trim so no picture yet. Pulled off the front door panels to fix the missing/broken speaker covers and install some new speakers. I love upgrading car stereos. Will be nice to get all this out of the way before the swap.

Thaniel.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Finished the door panels and reinstalled Saturday. I think the before and after turned out pretty dramatic.

Before
    IMG_2578.jpgIMG_2579.jpg

After
    IMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpg

All the speakers are new. The tweeter and woofer are aftermarket 2 way speakers. The mid range speaker is a new OEM one. But only because I couldn't find new speaker grills sold without the speakers. I still have to work on the amps and the rear speakers later.

Here is a pic of the sport wheel before painting the lower plastic. I'm planning to recondition the leather rim before final installation. Though I have already had it on the car.
    IMG_2582.jpg

I've also installed a new blinker stalk to get the OBC functions. Another unbelievable feature left off. The outside air temp sensor and is already in the car but couldn't switch the screen on the instrument cluster because of the missing button on the blinker stalk. But it is there now.

Still need to install the heated seat wiring and switches and I think I'll have the bulk of the options I had wanted installed.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 02-25-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Nice!!!

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2014 wrx
    I can not wait for you to finish up this project! I am saving up and researching atm to preform the swap into my 330.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by cjccww View Post
    I can not wait for you to finish up this project!
    Me too. I was thinking yesterday what's keeping me from pulling the motor and getting started right now. Then I remembered. The cold. Grrr.... It'll warm up here soon.

In the meantime I'm still working on some of the cosmetic issues. Replaced the driverside door lock cover saturday. My painting matched so good one would never know it had been replaced. And over many evenings I have smoothed and polished the steering wheel rim of the sport wheel I'm going to install. It turned out better than expected I'll post pictures of it after I install it but pictures will not beable to capture the improvment. I've also been trying to clean and condition the front seats, which are in my basement. The leather is a bit dry and Embarassingly I had the seats in my car for 7 years. So it's me to blame. Doh.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2014 wrx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Me too. I was thinking yesterday what's keeping me from pulling the motor and getting started right now. Then I remembered. The cold. Grrr.... It'll warm up here soon.

In the meantime I'm still working on some of the cosmetic issues. Replaced the driverside door lock cover saturday. My painting matched so good one would never know it had been replaced. And over many evenings I have smoothed and polished the steering wheel rim of the sport wheel I'm going to install. It turned out better than expected I'll post pictures of it after I install it but pictures will not beable to capture the improvment. I've also been trying to clean and condition the front seats, which are in my basement. The leather is a bit dry and Embarassingly I had the seats in my car for 7 years. So it's me to blame. Doh.

Thaniel
    This winter has been crazy for every one! It iced all day Sunday/Monday but we are supposed to see 70* this weekend.

I have the same issue with the seats, mine have started cracking even! I wish someone would have shown me how to properly maintain leather when I first started driving this car 8 years ago. (wow I cant believe its been that long)

Any way good luck! I'm sure I will be asking you many many annoying questions in the upcoming months.

My Cars
    E90 M3, 335i, 135i
    looking forward to see how the can bus speedo crap of fun will mesh subbed!
    Team Hybrids

hybrid-audio.com
    nobodybeatshybrid.net
    buwaldahybrids.com

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas vince View Post
    looking forward to see how the can bus speedo crap of fun will mesh subbed!
    It will look pretty much just like this one installed on another car
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post27190488

But I have to confess I ended up just selling my Ls1. At the moment just happy to keep the cars i have running the way there are. I have a motorcycle now and during the summer I drive that most of the time anyway.

Thaniel

My Cars
    LS3 E46
    So in the end is your rpm gauge working? I have a ls3 in my e46 and could not get the rpm cluster to run, any help would be greatly appriciated

My Cars
    01 M3
    Fatsuby, I have an ls1 in my e46 m3 and using thaniel's arduino all of my gauges work, including my oil temp gauge (as soon as I wore it), except my tpms light is going crazy since the arduino. Not sure if that is related or not.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatsuby View Post
    So in the end is your rpm gauge working? I have a ls3 in my e46 and could not get the rpm cluster to run, any help would be greatly appriciated
    Yah. RPM is no problem. In addition to Rooster's LS1 E46, there are some LS3 E46's also running my hardware and software. Here's a video of one.

If you want to implement something like this PM me or e-mail me through the forum.

Thaniel

My Cars
    97 e36 m3 05 Saabaru
    Why did you quit, man? Are you going to pick it back up? I have been doing research for the same build and I know it's a handful, but I've seen you around the forums while lurking and figured you'd be the person to get it done and done right.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by LividBimmer87 View Post
    Why did you quit, man? Are you going to pick it back up? I have been doing research for the same build and I know it's a handful, but I've seen you around the forums while lurking and figured you'd be the person to get it done and done right.
    Thanks for the compliment.

There were several factors involved in moving to a different project. This had a lot to do with it:

With the motorcycle I found I drove a car very little in the summer and I was also contemplating a move to another state where driving a custom car could be a pain. When the motor sold I just started swapping in my EV components instead. Which honestly would be a more interesting car for most of the driving I do now. Which is typically about 6 miles each trip.

Will I ever do another LSx swap? Interesting question. But honestly not likely. I think I'd do a different motor just to be different. But right now I'm tempted to try turbo charging a BMW motor just for the learning experience.

There are quite a few E46 LSx swaps out there now and many of them are very well done. I've worked with a few on the gauge cluster to LSx interface. I think the LSx E46 swap is pretty well sorted out now.

Thaniel
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E46 lq9
    How do I find a drive shaft I wanna do an Lq9 in an e46. Can you please list off what I need to get for the drive train other than engine and tranny mounts. And down pipe