Thread: Heater back!

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3

Heater back!

Year ago I replaced the entire cooling system as maintenance and everything seemed to work well except every month I noticed a small cup maybe decline in the water reserve. Never could see any fluid so just would bring it up and move on.

One day while driving my heater started to blow cold air. I feared a control valve, checked the door under the dash and other issues listed on the forum but none applied. Next step was going to be the heater core but I decided to bleed a few more times just to be sure. With the wife's help this time I noticed a very slight puff of steam coming from the plastic bleed screw when closed over 4k rpm. Turns out the cheap plastic one did not seat properly so got a brass one (so much better) installed bled the system holding the gas at 4k for a minute till I felt heat and saw no more bubbles (did it a few more times to be sure) then closed the new brass valve down and tested it for leaks.

Well no issues no steam no loss of fluid and HEAT! Hard to locate and figure out but a five dollar fix is hard to beat.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadie
    Funny, I just replaced mine with a brass one due to a slight leak the plastic one developed recently.