Thread: Maybe Dumb Question But I Can't Find

My Cars
    2000 Z3,

Smile Maybe Dumb Question But I Can't Find

the door switch for the interior light (over the mirror). I guess it's not like the regular car push button switch.

My light, with the switch, in the middle position flashes on and off when hitting a bump, braking, etc. On position works OK and off position works as it should.

I'm presuming a dirty or malfunctioning door switch, but I can't find the damn thing

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    The switch is in the latch mechanism mounted to the body. It's a common wear item over years and years of door openings.

- - - Updated - - -

51 21 8 399 245 on bavauto.com

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    Does your window go all nutty when you hit a bump too? Signs you need a new switch. ^try the part number Above. Worked to me too
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    Or if money is tight or time doesn't permit, wrap a zip tie around the switch mechanism to hold it in place until you can get a more permanent fix.
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    Thanks guys. Window not affected. Gonna have to wait for better weather (rain today) to get the car out of the garage so I can open the door all the way.

Again, thanks
    Bill

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by bucs19 View Post
    Does your window go all nutty when you hit a bump too? Signs you need a new switch. ^try the part number Above. Worked to me too
    He's got a roadie. No goofy window tricks like the coupe will do.

i replaced mine last year. A bit of a pain but not terribly difficult. Plan for an hour the first time you do it.
    Last edited by Wertles; 01-13-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    So the striker plate is the light switch?(Syk1Z3's part #) That's really weird. No wonder I couldn't find it.

My Cars
    99 z3 2.8 coupe
    btw that switch interchangable with e36 ones. i couldnt find with z3 part number and bought e36 one instead * and cheaper too

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    Think I found the problem. I got it out in the sunlight today and found this. Apparently I will have to buy a $40+ part to fix this rubber piece? BTW, the light has only malfunctioned one day/time.

bmw door switch 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Terry; 01-15-2014 at 04:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    You might try fixing it? I've done the same thing with convertible top switches when they die. My fixed units outlast the car.

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    Think some contact cement, some wax paper and a couple of hose clamps may fix it.

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED: Today on two short trips the lights blinked on and off going around corners or small bumps in the pavement. I stopped (both times and opened and closed the door a bit harder and this stopped the blinking light.

So it's apparent that the split latch rubber (pictured previously) is the culprit. When the weather gets warmer I'll try to repair it but for now I'll just have to remember to close the door a bit harder.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I wouldn't be closing the door any harder than normal - one always pays for that with other things coming lose etc. But a different approach I've taken with similar latches/posts is: to strip the posts down to bare metal, and then wrap it with thin Teflon extruded strip - maybe 1 cm wide and 1 mm thick, putting a layer of glue between each warp, building it back up to the original thickness, and making sure that the end of the last wrap is on the back side so that the latch can't undo it. Generally have found doing such makes for posts that well outlast the original. And while waiting for the glue to cure, wrap and compress it with a hose clamp.