Thread: Tested S52 vs M50 manifold and TMS stage 2 & 3 packages

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Tested S52 vs M50 manifold and TMS stage 2 & 3 packages

I just ran across this article. I know this is for the E36 M3, however it should work for the S52 M Roadsters and Coupes. The only thing I see that would not work is the CAI box from AFE. I do have the M50 manifold waiting to be installed on my M Roadster this spring, Now I may have to do injectors and the throttle body. I will admit that the test car is pretty strong for a 200,000 mile car. I really like this article.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I was happy with my M50 swap when I was NA. The increase in top end made it feel like more of an M motor, shrinks a bit of the gap between the S52 and S54 in terms of power delivery.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Great article!!!
    It's a good argument for those who really want to stay NA in their search for MORE POWER.
    I have to say though, that with the low cost of used SuperCharger kits right now it's hard not to go that route instead.

I hate California CARB laws. I'm thinking i should get a pre 1976 2002ti car to avoid CARB requirements.

Admins... Could this article be " stickied " Lot's of folks ask the questions it answers.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Finally a direct manifold to manifold dyno. And if my mental math isn't off too much, it would appear to be a 15% power loss through the midrange to eek out a 5% gain right at redline. Area under the curve suffers.

But the article falls short on it's stated goal. IF they were really out to test M50 vs M52, they should have bolted the stock manifold back on with the cam and tune and such. The way the test is done, all they have proven is the OTHER stuff gained more power than the M50 lost.

/.randy

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Finally a direct manifold to manifold dyno. And if my mental math isn't off too much, it would appear to be a 15% power loss through the midrange to eek out a 5% gain right at redline. Area under the curve suffers.

But the article falls short on it's stated goal. IF they were really out to test M50 vs M52, they should have bolted the stock manifold back on with the cam and tune and such. The way the test is done, all they have proven is the OTHER stuff gained more power than the M50 lost.

Also, it had always been stated that the M50 losses are accounted for when the tuning is done.

So I would have liked to see just the dyno of the before and after the M50 swap and again with just a tune.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    I loved my M50, it did wake up a lot on the top end; saw 233whp 220wtq if I recall on a mustang with no tune.

Definitely a worth while change especially if you can swap it in yourself.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Why different injectors? Did the smaller ones not meet the cycle demand. Seems questionable to me. For a relatively small increase in power, seems fishy that the current injector would not be able to manage the requested extra milliseconds on the cycle. More hype to sell additional parts that will not do anything except make the kit appear more extensive and marketable?
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    Also, it had always been stated that the M50 losses are accounted for when the tuning is done.

So I would have liked to see just the dyno of the before and after the M50 swap and again with just a tune.
    Yes, it's a common statement, but I can't follow the logic in it. There is nothing in the tune that is going to make up for the loss of VE and the increased exhaust contamination of the what charge does get trapped. Sure, you can jack up the ignition timing to cover for the lower effective charge pressure, but nothing in the tune is going to get the lost air into the cylinder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Why different injectors? Did the smaller ones not meet the cycle demand. Seems questionable to me. For a relatively small increase in power, seems fishy that the current injector would not be able to manage the requested extra milliseconds on the cycle. More hype to sell additional parts that will not do anything except make the kit appear more extensive and marketable?

Dude!!! MORE air means you gots to have MORE fuel!!!

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

That would have been nice to see.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Why different injectors?
    We are in the middle of that question and many more in the E36 M3 section's version of this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...p-3)-on-E36-M3
    (The thread was started by the author of the article.)

Quote Originally Posted by dcrothers View Post
    Admins... Could this article be " stickied " Lot's of folks ask the questions it answers.
    It already made it to The Manifesto minutes after it was posted. The resulting thread created by the author in the E36 M3 section was also linked in The Manifesto soon after. I actually think we could do with LESS stickies around here, not more. =/
    Last edited by BenFenner; 01-13-2014 at 02:21 PM.