Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Drift car v2. 1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    made some progress...

rta bushings made and bracket modded as per beam_team and mikee36 advice/pics

[IMG][/IMG]

Angle kit thing finised

[IMG][/IMG]

installed

[IMG][/IMG]

And I got an allignment done and it looks rad as bru!

[IMG][/IMG]

need fender roller now, these are getting munched at lock so i cant go test it. boo.

My Cars
    1994 328 e36 drift car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    made some progress...

rta bushings made and bracket modded as per beam_team and mikee36 advice/pics

[IMG][/IMG]

Can you explain this a little more? Like what exactly did you do and why?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Mikee36 also explains it a bit on page 56 of his build thread, but basically, the stock bracket is dimpled on both sides to center the bushing. When you play with your rear camber settings it adjusts your toe way in or out and the stock slotted holes aren't enough to get it remotely close to where it needs to be. So we cut out one side of the dimple, weld in a flat plate, and then use shims to offset the bushing in or out to where it needs to be.

And the bushings are just something I made at work because my stock ones were split, power flex ones are pretty cheap iirc.

My Cars
    Slow e36

My Cars
    97 M3 turbo 93 325is
    Looks good man, I love how much the guys in the drift scene do things themselves. Your angle plates look good, but mounted the way they are you are actually increasing ackerman, I'm pretty sure you want less. As I understand it, too much ackerman causes the front tires to fight each other in a drift. Maybe one of the guys with more experience in this area could chime in?
    Cheers either way

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Mounted the same way as an slr kit is so it has less Ackerman then stock. From my understanding, the tie rod and ball joint usually line up with the center of the rear end, the closer you bring that line to the rear wheel, the less Ackerman you have, making the outer wheel turn faster. I could be wrong but I was getting some helpful hints from someone who has modded plenty of 240 knuckles and they seem to work really well for the small bit I've played around with it on the street.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    First day i got to really thrash on the angle kit was at our second annual matsuri event. 2 days of continuous tandem trains and killing a large portion of our tire stockpiles. everything worked flawlessly.

[QUICKIMG]

">

Managed to be the only car to come out completely unscathed after that event, did the final comp day of the year, learned to drift banks/ follow people on bank runs, and now its tome to rebuild and make it slightly better for next year.

So far the plans are fairly minimal, pull the rear subframe out and replace all the rubber bushings with aluminum, and pull the motor and seal up the few oil leaks and replace the vanos seal, make new shifter bushings, replace the guibo, just minor shit that i dont want to have to deal with next summer.

i get this "sweet" garage to work in all winter, not much but atleast its not covered in snow.

first mod of the winter is a new sparco sprint V, fits way better then the recaro knockoff i got for free like 2 years ago, looks way better too.

thats it for now, planning on pulling the rear end sometime this week so i can get started sooner rather then later.

My Cars
    250 & 2.5 Hellrot
    how did you do the hood on the 318?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by motomanb3 View Post
    how did you do the hood on the 318?
    angle grinder and a sharpie. literally just cut 3 lines and bent it in. did the same thing on the m3 hood for extra venting at 0 cost.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Started off the winter by tearing out the rear end to do all the bushings i wanted to do during the summer, but just didnt have the down time to do so. Since I had to pull off the exhaust to get the subframe out I figured i might aswell chop out the cats and resonator and replace it with straight pipe.

Then i moved on to sand blasting and painting every arm and wire wheeling every bolt that came out of the rear end of the car. painted everything up and made some solid bushings. threw the bushings in a freezer for a couple hours, then pressed them in. not going anywhere any time soon..

One of my aluminum camber arms for the rear seized at some point in between my first and second allignment last year so all i have left to do is re make the threaded shaft and then I can re-assemble the rear end and start working on pulling the motor and tranny, making all new shifter bushings, replacing my vanos seal and sealing up a few oil leaks. then paint the bay and put it all back together again.

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i coupe
    Looking like a super solid car. Like you have replaced so many bushings with solid bushings, that you probably have way fewer parts on the car that can go wrong, what I want to do on my car.

Please don't paint the bay just black

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 3184life View Post
    Looking like a super solid car. Like you have replaced so many bushings with solid bushings, that you probably have way fewer parts on the car that can go wrong, what I want to do on my car.

Please don't paint the bay just black
    Thats the idea with making everything solid. I've had too many of the stock rubber ones fail on me at the track or on the street that i figured if I can lose a bit of comfort and gain more reliability then it's worth it. I still daily drive the car in the summer and honestly after about 1/2 an hour of driving I don't even notice the vibrations anymore.

As as for the engine bay I'm thinking of going with a dark gloss grey. We painted my friends engine bay with that and it turned out great.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe

painted the subframe area, and everything fits great!

Then i got a bit buck with a can of spray paint and painted the wheel wells and everthing that gets hidden behind the bumper.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Awesome thread man! I'm pumped to see more!
    1995/98 BMW S52 Powered 325is. --DriftSlut--
    Drift Build Thread:
    http:// www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...52-Drift-Build

My Cars
    1993 318is
    I just read through your thread and it motivated me to get working on my e36 again.

Any pointers for drifting a 318? I have a 93 318is that I got for dirt cheap because I missed my old e36 and I wanted something to learn to drift in.

I now see the 1.8 is gutless as hell but I see people drifting it haha. Suggestions?

Whats are some good cheap/easy diy mods that I should start with?

Keep up the good work!

PS represent BC haha
    85 325e - SOLD
    94 325is - SOLD
    93 318is - current project

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean W View Post
    I just read through your thread and it motivated me to get working on my e36 again.

Any pointers for drifting a 318? I have a 93 318is that I got for dirt cheap because I missed my old e36 and I wanted something to learn to drift in.

I now see the 1.8 is gutless as hell but I see people drifting it haha. Suggestions?

Whats are some good cheap/easy diy mods that I should start with?

Keep up the good work!

PS represent BC haha
    the 1.8 is pretty useless, but weld the diff, make a decent hydro ebrake, pump your tires up to like 60 and just go have fun. An m50 isn't too expensive. I couldn't link the track at all in my 318 and would spin almost every time, but at the minimum it should teach you a bit of car control so when you do hop into a more powerful car you'll have a better understanding of what to do to hold a line. If you ever have any other technical questions or whatever feel free to pm me!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'm running the same front suspension set up and it feels awesome.. although I still need a real alignment haha.

When deleting the cats, did you feel a torque lose? I had to take off my muffler a couple weeks ago and I drove it down the road to see how it sounded and I felt like it had a little bit less high end power than usual, but I would really like to delete the cats.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haven't driven the car at all in months, so I couldn't tell ya. But there's enough people running actual straight pipes without mufflers that I doubt it makes a big difference. If you ran open header that would mean that your O2 sensor was doing nothing so it was probably running on the rich side which would loose power.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So pretty much the only thing I really broke in the rear end last year was my camber arm, I guess the previous owner who installed them didn't believe in neversieze. Oops....

So I made a new arm out of stainless, cleaned up the remaining threads in the end, and put it back together with a bunch of neversieze.

Also got got the rear end all back together. Putting clean parts back together is so much nicer.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I'm really bad at build threads haha...

So, last year pretty much since the first time I drove the car in February, the shift linkage was sloppy and even locked me out of 4th at one point. Since Im on the theme of fixing shit, that got added to the list.

Started off by bucking off the rubber filled shift knob arm or whatever you want to call it and welding on a a solid steel one. Thought about threading it, but theres literally no point because the shift knob attaches with set screws anyways..

Then i pressed out the nylon bushing in the bottom and pressed in stainless steel ones. I have stainless bushings in my winter car and they're great.

But making just that solid wouldn't solve my problem. Google told me that people buy uuc dssr's to fix sloppy shifter issues, but that money could be better spent on tires this summer, so I made a similar version. It's not as fancy looking but I didn't really want to spend a ton of time making it because now I'm focusing on refreshing the motor. Should work just as good and that's all that matters.

bolted everything up to my spare transmission and it all fits really well. Will bolt it up to the real tranny when I pull everything out this weekend.

thats all for now, like I said, hoping to pull the motor/tranny this weekend then I can paint the bay, freshen up everything on the motor, and redo my vanos seal as I'm pretty sure it leaks internally..

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Absolutely love the "make it myself to save money for events/important things" attitude!! I'm the same way and love seeing others like it! The DSSR looks great and I was thinking of doing something similar to my shifter recently. Let me know if you feel a difference!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidD123 View Post
    Absolutely love the "make it myself to save money for events/important things" attitude!! I'm the same way and love seeing others like it! The DSSR looks great and I was thinking of doing something similar to my shifter recently. Let me know if you feel a difference!
    it'll be a while before I can give you a real world review on it, but if you look at the uuc site they explain with .gif's how the dssr is better then stock linkage so I just kept the tolerance really tight and it should work well. And for the hour I spent making that one there's really not much to loose.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1995 Miata
    What hydro ebrake are you running?
    1995 M3 - Vorshlag motor/trans mounts, uuc trab, power-flex race subframe bushings, vac motorsports sold diff bushings, h&r race springs, bilstein sport shocks, bav auto front strut bar, ebay rear bar, rouge engineering rsm, uuc system u, custom mid pipe, turner "stock setup" chip

Sold
    1995 Miata - a few mods

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Homemade. Eg civic clutch master cylinder, handle I built at work, and a bracket I made that bolts on to the tunnel rather then being welded on. Just runs in line to the rear brakes.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So, pulled the motor out last week, cleaned everything and bought some rattle cans. Chose a glossy grey because I think it will contrast well with the mostly black motor.

then took the motor to my friends garage to tear it apart and simplify coolant lines. Found out both my knock sensors are destroyed and that probably explains a few running issues I had before I parked the car. (Speedhunters street car of the year 2010 in the background )

so probably going to make a big rockauto order for gaskets then buy a fx clutch/flywheel because dual mass ones seem really dumb for drifting.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast