Thread: DSC is awesome...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

DSC is awesome...

I don't care what you guys say... DSC royally saved my ass today. For those of you who drive around without it for your daily routine and say that it hinders your driving experience, you must be a much better driver than I. Today, if I had chosen to drive with it off... the car would be no more.

Scenario...

I'm driving to the beach... minding my own business on the highway. Possibly doing somewhere around 70. Traffic is congested, but still moving at a quick pace. I make a motion to go change lanes and as soon as I'm about middle way thru the lane change I focus on what appears to be a garbage bag in the middle of the highway.

I whip the wheel to the right to go back to my original lane... faster than most emergency lane changes ever happen. The DSC did it's magic and helped keep me on the road. If I'd have turned it off, I would have A... nailed the bag of recycled cans or B... spun off the road as physics took over and propelled the car off the highway into the embankment.

An Explorer nailed the bag and sent cans flying everywhere, god only knows what kinda damage it did.

DSC ... saves the day.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2001 Pathfinder
    Glad you made it out ok. I have yet been put into a situation where my lack of DSC has put me into trouble (knock on wood).
    -Tim 1995 M3 Avus/black
    Conforti Euro Intake w/ TMS chip, Motorsport Brace, X Brace, Black UUC TME, V2 Splitters, DEPO's w/ DDE Plus & 6000K HIDs, Hardwired V1, UUC Twin Silencer exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit w/ Bilsteins, Speed Star SP1's in 18" by 8.5"
    WTB - 318 sedan
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post16285694

My Cars
    325ix, 951, RX7 Racecar
    A lot of the time, reflexes are not your friend.

My car doesn't have any traction control, I wish it did for cruising around. But it definately sucks for performance driving. Not that you can't just push the button...

My Cars
    M3
    I guess in that example it works well but if you are driving agressively around corners I've learned it isn't exactly safe. It sends to car into push when it kicks in on high speed corners. I almost went into the gaurd rails once when it kicked in. I usually leave it on unless I want to slide or drive up to tahoe.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Glad to hear it. A couple months ago I ran off the road and got 3 flats in my car (a crappy Saab) when its Traction Control System kicked in going around a corner at a conservative speed under good road conditions. I always knew that if I was in my dad's E46, DSC would have either kicked in and saved the day or not kicked in at all.

My Cars
    '92 968, '99 F-150
    DSC doesnt work when the car is airborne, just an FYI. Hehe.
    Satisfaction isn't around the corner, it is the corner.

My Cars
    318ic '97
    You must have turned the wheel pretty aggresively to send it dangerously out of balance! Glad you 're OK

My Cars
    01 M5,99 M3 cab,98 Dinan S3 M3,97 740iL,04 745Li
    Ya actually, a friend of mine is considering buying a 98 M Roadster, but he says that it doesn't have ASC. i told him that's a lot of power to not have traction control with, especially since he's coming from driving a WRX. one wrong move and *poof* no more car
    <b><font color="black">otor is BMW's middle name.</b></font>

My Cars
    cosmos m3
    ASC on my 99 M3 is very important. One time I was taking a really fast S turn exit ramp thing. I hit a wet spot on the road, felt the rear end come out every so loosely, but then completely regain traction a split second later. Pretty sure without ASC I would have gone off the road sideways.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    youd be suprised what you can regain on dry pavement.

i do wish my car had ASC/DSC but hell no i wouldnt trade it for my LSD. (as was the choice in 94- asc or lsd.)

My Cars
    '04 330ci zhp
    I'm glad you're ok Kevlar. Thank God for DSC

My Cars
    01 M5,99 M3 cab,98 Dinan S3 M3,97 740iL,04 745Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    youd be suprised what you can regain on dry pavement.

i do wish my car had ASC/DSC but hell no i wouldnt trade it for my LSD. (as was the choice in 94- asc or lsd.)
    do you know that since the 98 m roadsters didn't have ASC, did they have LSD?
    <b><font color="black">otor is BMW's middle name.</b></font>

My Cars
    '02 M3 SMG, '00 M Roadster, 95 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by PortalBMW
    I guess in that example it works well but if you are driving agressively around corners I've learned it isn't exactly safe. It sends to car into push when it kicks in on high speed corners. I almost went into the gaurd rails once when it kicked in. I usually leave it on unless I want to slide or drive up to tahoe.
    Hmm, hit the guard rail head on, or spin and hit it backwards. Great choice.

How about slow down on public roads? Lots of track events to push hard without oncoming traffic and in most cases close in guard rails.
    Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
    '00 Dakar M Roadster
    '02 Topaz M3 SMG

My Cars
    '98 328i (sold), '04 ///M3, '02 540i Sport
    Whoa, Pinecone he was going 70....hate to tell ya but if you're going 70 in SoCal, you're holding people up, cruising speed in San Diego is 70-80. He had an obstacle in the way, I don't think it would've made a difference if he was going 5mph slower.

Good to know DSC works Kevlar Glad you're ok.
    Increasing Endorphins, one shift at a time.

My Cars
    E36, E46

DSC is lightyears ahead of ASC.

I keep my traction off most of the time but sometimesI leave ASC on so I don't get tempted to blow the back end sideways everywhere. Otherwise it's the reason I put my 99 M3 into a wall. :
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    2003 330Ci Sport Conv.
    Kevlar - I Know EXACT : LY how you feel. I did something similar about six months ago. I exited a roundabout doing about 65-70 (almost on the limit), and the road immediately bears in the opposite direction (a very tight chicane at that speed). As I was throwing the weight of the car from one side to the other, mid weight shift, a kid on a bike crossed in front of me. He saw me exiting the roundabout and presumed I was doing about 30 like most people, and thought he had time to cross and just went for it. I tried to push the brake pedal through the bulk head, and the DSC came in, and I will never know how, but the car stayed completely horizontal, as though nbothing had happened. I had to look behind me to c heck that my front bumper had not clipped his back wheel, but it hadn't. The truth is, If my car didn't have DSC, either :

1) The kid would have been killed, and I would be serving time at her majesty's pleasure.

OR:

2) My car would have been wrapped several times around a street lamp, and I would have been pissed off.

It often takes something like this to make you think.

Anyway, glad all is ok.

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    Hmm, hit the guard rail head on, or spin and hit it backwards. Great choice.

How about slow down on public roads? Lots of track events to push hard without oncoming traffic and in most cases close in guard rails.

Take another angle Mr. Roggers. This isn't an oppertunity for you to play mentor with me. I don't even need to justify myself with an explaination, fucking doosh.

mattjw916 is offline I had something for this BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2011 335xi, 2006 325xi
    Another vote for DSC here... it makes driving a 315hp roadster a considerably safer experience...

unless I am at the track, it generally stays on.

P.S. Doosh is spelled D O U C H E.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Avus M3
    Glad you made it out ok. I have yet been put into a situation where my lack of DSC has put me into trouble (knock on wood).
    You don't have DSC.

Besides, ASC would have likely done very little to nothing in that situation as it can't do anything about lateral motion like DSC can.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    very true, sometimes reflexes are the enemy.
    Sometimes you should just have to hit the damn thing and try to fix a busted fog/bumper than total the car.
    I had to hit a pigeon. landed right in the middle of the kidney grills. I was going 70 mph on a sloping 60 degree on ramp, I would have not been here becuas I tried saving the life of a little pigeon.

Glad dsc prevented an accident.

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    Quote Originally Posted by racecar
    do you know that since the 98 m roadsters didn't have ASC, did they have LSD?
    The Z3 Coupe / M Coupe / M Roadster have a 25% torsen LSD standard that's actually more advanced / sturdier than the clutch-type one on the e36 M3. The e46 M3 has a much more advanced 100% LSD, though.

ASC+T - Prevents power-on oversteer
    DSC - brakes/skids individual wheels to get the car pointed back the way the computer thinks you meant to go

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    that's correct - many people do not realize that the ASC+T does not have a yaw sensor like DSC. It also does not interfere with the front axle brakes in any way.

DSC is much more advanced and integrated into the system while ASC+T is really nothing more then a piggy back system to the abs computer with a secondary throttle body.

good to hear that you pulled out alright Kevin. 70 mph? I guess you were taking your time.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!