Thread: Ebay HID conversion kits... too good to be true?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0

Ebay HID conversion kits... too good to be true?

Anyone try these Ebay HID conversion kits? For US$60 you can get both high and low beams... seems too cheap to be true... Anyone have experience with these? Do the high beams flick on quickly enough to flash in emergencies? Maybe I should keep my high beams stock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Set-35W-Hi...df8c92&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    I never used HID high beams, never saw a need too

Maybe check out DDM Tuning as well, I had an HID low beam set from them like 2 years ago and they are still running strong

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Try theretrofitsource.com for higher quality hid units. A lot of folks disagree with putting HID's in non projector units (not sure what headlights you have).

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
    Anyone try these Ebay HID conversion kits? For US$60 you can get both high and low beams... seems too cheap to be true... Anyone have experience with these? Do the high beams flick on quickly enough to flash in emergencies? Maybe I should keep my high beams stock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Set-35W-Hi...df8c92&vxp=mtr
    Short answer: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

There is a fundamental difference between the way light is generated in a halogen bulb and in an HID bulb. Halogens use a filament, whereas HIDs use electrodes to excite Xenon gas encapsulated in the bulb. For safety's sake, only use HID bulbs in reflectors or projectors designed for HID! There are halogen projectors (like ZKW ellipsoids in the international E36s) - do not use HIDs in projectors designed for halogens!

Those kits on ebay plug into the standard reflector of a factory halogen headlight. The reflectors are designed to 'project' a certain beam pattern based on the way a halogen bulb generates light (with a filament). Standard reflectors (ones designed for halogens) are not optimized to put the light from an HID bulb onto the road!

Bottom line - your headlights will appear to be considerably brighter from your perspective, but the light will not be formed into an optimized beam, and you will be 'dazzling' or 'blinding' oncoming drivers, and probably NOT improving your view of the road ahead.

If you want to use HID lights, you need to retrofit an appropriate projector into the Z3's headlight housing. HID/Xenon either use bespoke projection lenses (or projectors) specifically designed for an HID bulb's output.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Bottom line - your headlights will appear to be considerably brighter from your perspective, but the light will not be formed into an optimized beam, and you will be 'dazzling' or 'blinding' oncoming drivers, and probably NOT improving your view of the road ahead.
    ....so THATS why I get flashed at night PO on my car put in a really nice HID setup, but did NOT change the reflectors. They are BRIGHT and work great, but it is a VERY diffuse/scattered beam. It 100% makes the road any anything else in front of me light up very nicely! But there is no defined cutoff like I had on my E46 M3 or S6.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    ....so THATS why I get flashed at night PO on my car put in a really nice HID setup, but did NOT change the reflectors. They are BRIGHT and work great, but it is a VERY diffuse/scattered beam. It 100% makes the road any anything else in front of me light up very nicely! But there is no defined cutoff like I had on my E46 M3 or S6.
    Yeah, I don't want to sound argumentative, but that's dangerous for other drivers - you being able to see clearly is important, but if you do it at the expense of everyone else, you're causing problems. Spend some money and do it right.

My Cars
    E90 M3 / Z4M Coupe
    +1 for theretrofitsource.com

I have had only quality products from them and their service is good as well.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Yeah, I don't want to sound argumentative, but that's dangerous for other drivers - you being able to see clearly is important, but if you do it at the expense of everyone else, you're causing problems. Spend some money and do it right.
    no worries, you dont
    PO had it done, and changing it is lower on my list (Rod bearnings and trunk floor come first). Ive had my wife drive it at night so I could see how it looked and it wasnt that bad. better than someone driving with highbeams on coming at you. I angled them down to help.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    no worries, you dont
    PO had it done, and changing it is lower on my list (Rod bearnings and trunk floor come first). Ive had my wife drive it at night so I could see how it looked and it wasnt that bad. better than someone driving with highbeams on coming at you. I angled them down to help.
    Rgr. Undoing or correcting PO silliness can be very... challenging. I'll stop lecturing.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The best bulbs available for halogen reflector housings are HIR.

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

My Cars
    96 Z3 DASC, 07 E92 328i
    I've had an awesome experience with DDM. I've had HID slim ballasts for a year as well as LED fogs, reverse lights, and license plate lights. They've been great.

For those who worry about too much reflection, just don't get the 55w that's overkill. 35w 6000k done.
    “Speed has never killed anyone.... Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Supercharged

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    The best bulbs available for halogen reflector housings are HIR.

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html
    This.

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX

This.
    Must has

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Grylls View Post
    Must has
    Becuz racecar?

Seriously, though. I used the Toshiba HIRs in my first E36 M3 before I swapped the stockers for ZKW Ellipsoid (halogen) projectors. They were a very good choice. I'm working on an HID retrofit for my coupe, but will use the 9011 HIR bulbs for my high-beams.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Obviously the projector retrofit is the critical step... but I'd like to throw out there that the DDM HID kits are a bargain at <$50. I have 3 sets that have been running for 3+ years now, no issues at all.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0
    I'm not sure I can justify paying 10% of my cars purchase price on some neato looking projector kits... Maybe if my car was a M roadster, then I'd rock them.. but for now 1% on some eBay lights are fine by me... as long as there are no critical failures, i'm fine! thanks for all the feedback ya'll!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    You're fine - how about all the drivers you are blinding at night? Just get the HIR bulbs. http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    My Coupe came with aftermarket HIDs installed two owners before. They were nice and bright and an interesting color, with a slight pinkish tint. They just didn't light the road like the factory HIDs in my Mini Cooper. With misty rain or wet roads, it was like driving in fog with a bright haze ahead of the car.
    I removed the HIDs, ballasts, and hacked wiring and replaced the bulbs with Philips HIRs with replaced stock wiring and headlight backings (the original backings were hacked for mounting the ballasts, blocking flow to the airbox on the drivers side).
    I now have much better lighting, maybe not as good as proper HIDs on the Mini, but close. Best of all, I'm not blinding oncoming drivers!
    Unless you retrofit correct HID projector lenses in your housings, don't use aftermarket HIDs! They just don't work correctly and are not safe. HIRs work great and are a direct fit.
    -Donny

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    My Coupe came with aftermarket HIDs installed two owners before. They were nice and bright and an interesting color, with a slight pinkish tint. They just didn't light the road like the factory HIDs in my Mini Cooper. With misty rain or wet roads, it was like driving in fog with a bright haze ahead of the car.
    I removed the HIDs, ballasts, and hacked wiring and replaced the bulbs with Philips HIRs with replaced stock wiring and headlight backings (the original backings were hacked for mounting the ballasts, blocking flow to the airbox on the drivers side).
    I now have much better lighting, maybe not as good as proper HIDs on the Mini, but close. Best of all, I'm not blinding oncoming drivers!
    Unless you retrofit correct HID projector lenses in your housings, don't use aftermarket HIDs! They just don't work correctly and are not safe. HIRs work great and are a direct fit.
    -Donny
    A nice summary of posts 4, 5, 10, and 17.

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    After market HID's, especially the cooler color temps, and particularly when used in an improper housing, should be, most emphatically, avoided. They're especially hazardous in wet weather.