Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadstar Wheels: Do you like them?...

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster

Roadstar Wheels: Do you like them?...

When the M Roadster first came out, I loved the staggered wheels and the deep rear dish. But I'll have to admit, I don't really care for that spoke design at all. I know that borders on sacrilege to say that in this forum, but it is true for me.

So my question is: What do you like most about Roadstars? Does anyone else feel like me, that the strength of the design is the staggered, deep dish or does the spoke design attract you the most? Roadstars are very popular, I think I am in the minority here.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Last edited by Terry F.; 10-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    No
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    The poll isn't working.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I'm not smart enough to do a poll.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Delete. Start over. =]

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Yes. They fit the personality of the car and mimic the lines on the M bumpers.

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    I only like the spoke design in chrome shadow. In silver, it might as well be any other 5 spoke wheel.

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    Yup Roadstars are just awesome.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    They're nothing special. They have Blizzaks on them right now, and my Apex wheels have my big wide Advans.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Hmmm. Do I like the design of the Roadstars, or do I like the Roadstars? IMO, two different questions!

Design: Yes, I like the design. I appreciate the highly-contoured internal lines, as I think they help add a great deal of visual interest to the bottom half of the car.

Actual wheel: This is probably a no, though I never thought I'd read myself typing it. One issue I have is with the implementation: I think the wheels were probably appropriately-sized for when these cars were manufactured/sold (taking into account the wheel industry and available tire sizes 'back then'), but the offsets SUCK. I really think that based on the M rear axles, the rear wheel offset should be ET 0 or up to -4. The fronts shouldn't be any more than ET35. I'm disappointed by how 'sunk in' the wheels are in the wheel wells - I mean, these aren't Porsche 356s, here, folks! Push the wheels out! The second issue I have with them is actually related to the design of the spokes (which, yes, I just lauded above) - that contour where the spokes meet the rim/lip is so freaking tough to clean if, say, the original owner of the car failed to clean them sufficiently/sufficiently well!
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 10-27-2013 at 01:59 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    The first time I saw them I hated them. I didn't think they had any personality. Then they grew on me so much I had to buy a set and refinish them in chrome shadow. They keep my track rubber on them.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I like the Roadstars, but I have to admit to having wheel blindness--they all look the same to me--they are either aluminum or steel, round and have tires on them. I have never paid two seconds of attention to what wheels are on a car, other than to wonder why anyone would spend good money on replacing them if they're not broken. I do think that factory wheels look generally better than aftermarket, which tend to look cheap and blingy, although I'm sure there are aftermarket wheels that are tasteful, and that I don't know aren't factory when I see them.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    They're actually a big part of what attracted me go the Z3M. I think they are one of the best looking wheels I've ever seen. I've never had a car with stock wheels before and I can honestly say that I've never thought of changing these.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    997TT
    I like them a lot, as mentioned, one of the things that attracted me to the car. I love the deep dish setting and the style fits the lines of the car. They look bigger than the actual size. I would consider changing them someday, but right now they still look great and the car is becoming more vintage, so the wheels suit it.
    My Rides: 2007 911 Turbo - 2000 Cherokee
    Sold: 2011 M3, E46 M3, 1998 M Roadster

-Jared

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I cannot stand the look of them. A 5-spoke wheel is a pretty bad look to begin with and takes a lot of detail work to overcome (see current Mercedes AMG 5-spokes for an idea of how to get it right). The Roadstars fail completely in that regard as well. I can't really think of a redeeming quality. At least they are not steel?

I can't wait to get rid of mine.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 10-27-2013 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    I can't wait to get rid of mine.
    Ben, I think you said in another thread that you've been waiting like a year and a half or something... D'OH!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I can't say what I like best about them, but I favor the Roadstars over every other wheel I've ever seen on a Z3 or ///M Rdstr / Coupe. Some of the aftermarket wheels look okay, but none of them have ever stopped me in my tracks to admire them__my first impression is to think the car has the wrong wheels fitted.

I especially don't like busy designs (spokes, but especially the ring of bolts) that look to me like they'd make keeping the wheels clean a nightmare.

I currently have a set of SSR Comps on my gray car, and again, they're okay, but I wouldn't have bought them except for their lightweight when I was an avid autocrosser.

I guess if there is one (1) feature that I like best, it's that they're easy to keep clean (still running with OE brake pads).

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Ben, I think you said in another thread that you've been waiting like a year and a half or something... D'OH!
    I checked my records the other day, it's been over 2 years I've been in talks with the manufacturer that makes the wheels I want. (Yes, I started the wheel search around the same time I started the M Coupe search. The two depend on each other IMO.) The manufacturer makes them, but they sure don't sell them. Well, not to someone as picky as me I guess. There are 4 sets in the US that I know of. The last set was shipped in 2011 and I'm just not one of the lucky few I guess.

I got a quote of $35,000 from CCW for them to be copied.

I've been in talks with Livery Wheels about getting them made and that seems like my best option right now. I've had some serious setbacks on this front lately but I'm trying to soldier on.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 10-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I really like my roadstars, especially in shadow chrome.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    A 5-spoke wheel is a pretty bad look to begin with and takes a lot of detail work to overcome (see current Mercedes AMG 5-spokes for an idea of how to get it right). The Roadstars fail completely in that regard as well. I can't really think of a redeeming quality.
    But the AMG 5-spoke is a modern, thin (frail) design that would never fit on something like an M Coupe for example. It's far from the be-all-end-all 5-spoke wheel. Not that the Roadstar is that solution, but it suits the M Coupe so well. On the other end of the spectrum, something like a Fikse FM5 is almost a universal solution. It looks good on just about everything.

One of my personal favorite 5-spokes ever:

- - - Updated - - -

They look pretty good on this e46 too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/briantober/9844359724/

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    https://www.google.com/search?q=octo...%3B1600%3B1200

Looks like the underside of a starfish or octopus--I've never liked them.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I like them, but in brilliant. Not sure why everyone likes chrome shadow better. Darker colors take all the depth out of wheels. Black is the worst.

They fit the character of the coupe, but not a fan of them being 17" or on the roadsters. I think they look especially bad on any other BMW model. Not sure why people try to put them on e36.

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    I got them. Mine are chrome. I am not a fan, but too cheap to change.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I love the roadstars. Also, if the M roadsters ever become truly collectible those rims will be a vital part of the package. Hold on to them.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    I think they fit well with the design of the car, both the coupe and roadster. So yes I like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast