Thread: Clutch pedal "sticks"/"pops"

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady

Clutch pedal "sticks"/"pops"

My clutch pedal seems to stick for the last 2" or so of travel when engaging (pedal at its highest point off the floor). It will get stuck for a split second then pop back up to full height. The clutch operates normally, this doesn't seem to be in the area of travel where the clutch is engaging or disengaging. This just started happening recently.

The pedal needs new bushings, which are in my garage waiting to be installed. Just wanted to see if there was anything else I should be worried about while I'm in there.

Is this a pedal issue or a clutch issue or both?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I searched and could not find the answer.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Bushings and lube seem like a good first step, especially since you already have them on hand. It's a pretty quick procedure (mine took less than an hour with some prep of what to do and where) so i'd suggest going through that when you get a chance. If that doesn't help it may be an issue with the pedal itself so I'd be careful to check for little cracks in it while doing the bushings...just in case.
    Last edited by PettitWC; 10-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    -Chris

No Chrome on the Wheels, I'm a Baller for Real

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Thanks! Just took a ride and it no longer does it. Hopefully it's just something tweaked in the pedal or related to the bushings. I'll dig into it when I replace them

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Another note: if your bushings came with (metal) spacer washers I'd try to get both of them to squeeze in, if possible. I just managed to get both of mine in and they seem to make everything perfectly snug.
    -Chris

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    My clutch pedal seems to stick for the last 2" or so of travel when engaging (pedal at its highest point off the floor). It will get stuck for a split second then pop back up to full height. The clutch operates normally, this doesn't seem to be in the area of travel where the clutch is engaging or disengaging. This just started happening recently.

The pedal needs new bushings, which are in my garage waiting to be installed.
    In a similar situation here, except mine has a come-and-go squeak as well and the sticky 'pop' is past the engagement point rather than the high end.

I keep telling myself I'll do the yoga involved in installing those 'tomorrow'...

Then tomorrow comes and it seems fine and tomorrow becomes tomorrow's tomorrow...
    // TODO: Create sig

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by PettitWC View Post
    Bushings and lube... It's a pretty quick procedure (mine took less than an hour with some prep of what to do and where)...
    Did you do it with the seat in or out?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Did you do it with the seat in or out?
    Seat in, but I took the knee bolster off to install a new headlight switch at the same time. The bolster only takes a couple of minutes to take out with a drill and socket adapter. I also had a couple of flashlights (a cell phone with a flashlight app will work great for resting on the floor and pointing up) and plenty of room outside the car to move my legs around. I'm about 6' 185 and didn't have too many issues getting into the tight spots. If you have a really bad back or flexibility issues it may be more trouble. Not a comfortable position that you’ll fall asleep in, but not one that was unbearable or incredibly difficult to get into. The most difficult part was getting oriented down by the pedals.

This thread and the video link in it really helped (saw your name on there, but figured it wouldn't hurt to share again):

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...+pedal+bushing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFud4xKXIk
    -Chris