Thread: Them Z3 woes

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L

Them Z3 woes

So I was at road of america watching the race a few weeks back, I tried to start my car and my car would not shift into gear. Checked the clutch reservoir and it appeared to be nearly empty. Filled it and finally got full feel back in the clutch. Problem is A I don't know where the leak is coming from, B I checked for leaks on the clutch pedal (master cylinder) and also on the outside of the slave cylinder housing (just as it lays naturally) and found nothing. I don't see any puddles on the ground but I keep losing maybe 2 ounces a week. Could it be a leak in the brakes? Am I checking the slave properly? Where would you look? I was planning a brake over haul but maybe not if problems are on the clutch side. Please help

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    I believe that the slave cylinder can leak internally so you won't see a puddle. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    The clutch and brake reservoir are the same with the clutch pickup being a little high on the reservoir... you need to check all your brake lines for leaks as well.

This thread shows where the clutch master cylinder pickup is on the reservoir... 1st pic in 1st post: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Coupe-Roadster
    Last edited by kojohns; 08-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Check for leaks at the calipers. Your caliper pistons could leak as well.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L
    The strange part is that it seems like the clutch side goes down only

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If the brakes were leaking, you won't lose feel in the clutch pedal. A brake leak would drain the fluid from the reservoir, sure, but won't empty the clutch feed hose. Since you lost feel, the leak is in the clutch system. Hydraulic cylinders will leak out the bore end. This means fluid running out the pushrod end of the cylinder. On the slave, this means into the bellhousing, where it will be absorbed by the mounds of clutch dust, and eventually drip out the bottom center of the bell, mixed in with any minor engine oil leaks.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L
    So I should remove the slave from the 2 bolts holding it to the transmission, then feel the end for wetness from the fluid leaking?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    yes, and remove every wheel and check the calipers and all the brake lines...

The fluid is going somewhere, do you part the car in the same spot ? anything on the ground ?
    Last edited by SunzOut; 08-24-2013 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Same spot, no puddles on the ground but I think the top part of the reservoir is to blame. But it could maybe have been due to parking on a hill