Thread: M Roadster 2000 front disk

M Roadster 2000 front disk

Hi,

I need to change my front disk,

What would you recommend, best quality / price? My local mechanic also recommend changing the pad. Make sense?

I m a casual driver, no track for me.

Thanks
    Last edited by sepota; 08-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Change the rotors in pairs, and change the pads (pads are the cheap part).

Just stick with oem blanks. No point in getting fancy with it.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    just pick up a set of zimmerman 'blank' rotors and some pbr deluxe pads from Vincent at Bimmerzone...generally the best price you can find.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a very good deal on Centric Rotors, but it will be just marginally better price than zimmerman.

I put Stop Tech Street Performance pads on my M5 and they work well and are relatively low dust. I'd recommend them too.

Thank for the input

Are the AKEBONO worth it?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    A lot of people like Akebono. I personally don't have any experience with them on BMW, but know an old mechanic liked them when my mom had a lexus.

What are you 'upgrading' from to Akebono?

EDIT:
    Assume you're talking about the packages here:
    http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_...RAKE-FULL.html

What I would do is shoot vincent an email at info@bimmerzone.com and see if he has a discounted price for bimmerforums members. The price might be better.

Also, I'd just go with PBR Deluxe and save the $60. They don't have amazing stopping power, but it seems you don't need that. They are very very very low dust which is a benefit if you're a casual driver.

Akebono is a Japanese brand.
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 08-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks

Much appreciated help !!!

My Cars
    BMW
    For a DD check out the Meyle Rotors (LINK) they are budget friendly, coated for corrosion protection, and work great. For pads, Akebonos (LINK) are great for daily drivers, they cut down heavily on dust while maintaining stopping power. EBC GreenStuffs (LINK) and Hawk HPS (LINK) pads are two other popular lower dusting options.

-James
    Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-27-2013 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    To ECS credit, coated rotors are nicer. The zimmerman's bimmerzone sells, or at least the ones I got many many years ago, were not coated. That's why I went with Centric this time around for my e39 M5. They won't rust up and get unsightly.

Bought Centric from rockauto.com. Looked up the part numbers on centric's website look up feature. Very happy with them.
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 08-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Do I also need to order the front pad sensor?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

Thanks

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    To ECS credit, coated rotors are nicer. The zimmerman's bimmerzone sells, or at least the ones I got many many years ago, were not coated. That's why I went with Centric this time around for my e39 M5. They won't rust up and get unsightly.
    The vendor I used recently only had one type of Zimmerman rotor, with the 'Z-coat' corrosion-resistant coating. I can't confirm whether they Zimmerman are still selling un-coated rotors. If anyone is in doubt as to whether the parts they are looking into are coated, that fact should be specified in any for sale listing/product write-up on a vendor's site - if not, worth contacting the vendor to verify.