Thread: Coupe OEM Rear Spoiler Removal: HOW??????

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe

Coupe OEM Rear Spoiler Removal: HOW??????

Sorry if the answer is in front of my nose but I've searched to no avail. Part of my "problem" is that I'm in a hurry.

This question is tied in to my respray thread. I think I've got enough paint to spray the spoiler body color. I'd rather do this with the part off the car.

Help please!

I've got some more info and photos coming to add the the respray thread. (My hood "spot repair" has "grown"....)

Stay tuned.

I also wanted to express many thanks to Ben Fenner for doing such a terrific job organizing all the "how-to" posts and info.

Thanks,
    Paul

My Cars
    z3
    Edit: this is for a LOWER spoiler...

I would start by removing the interior trim around the spoiler area because supposedly when these were OEM installed they used hardware not just adhesive tape. So my first step would be to check for any hardware attaching the spoiler through the car. There should also be tape in place, which holds it on and also seals out water, heat gun and dental floss should help you there - or a plastic trim removal tool wrapped in a rag genly wedged in.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 08-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would start by removing the interior trim around the spoiler area because supposedly when these were OEM installed they used hardware not just adhesive tape. So my first step would be to check for any hardware attaching the spoiler through the car. There should also be tape in place, which holds it on and also seals out water, adhesive and dental floss should help you there - or a plastic trim removal tool wrapped in a rag genly wedged in.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I have the copy spoiler that CCM3 had made from his original (we're talking about the one at the bottom of the rear glass). This is faithfully reproduced all the way to the part numbers molded in the bottom side, and it uses 4 bolts evenly spaced, drilled through the hatch, and each side wing uses 1 bolt.
    It is also recommended to use double-sided tape along with the mechanical fasteners.
    This will necessitate removing the rear compartment panels to access the fasteners, provided fasteners were used. I don't see this spoiler in the photo of your car. Did you find a donor spoiler that you are removing from another Coupe?
    -Donny

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I too am unsure which spoiler you're referring to. Roof spoiler or hatch spoiler?
    (Sorry I don't have any advice either way. But I would like to catalog this thread correctly. )
    Last edited by BenFenner; 08-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Roof spoiler:
    Three bolts under the seals along the top edge with the hatch open, unplug the thied break light.

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    I too am unsure which spoiler you're referring to. Roof spoiler or hatch spoiler?
    (Sorry I don't have any advice either way. But I would like to catalog this thread correctly. )
    Apologies for the vagueness of my inquiry. The spoiler I'm talking about is the one at the top of the glass- the one that holds the third brake light.

I have successfully removed it. Here's how.

1. I took a few very deep breaths and reminded myself that "being in a hurry" with this project is simply foolish.

2. I then, with the hatch up, I re-examined the area under the spoiler. This is where the deck lid hinges are.

3. I noticed three round black plastic plugs which I pried out easily. There is one plug on the left side, one in the center, and one on the right. Behind each plug was an 11mm nut. These are the three attachment points of the spoiler. The only adhesive I saw was some sticky putty-like stuff here and there between the spoiler and the glass.

4. I removed the nut on the left, the one in the center, but then ran into trouble with the one on the right. It kept spinning in the wrench socket. WTF?

So, with two nuts already removed, I had enough play to lift the spoiler gently upwards which resulted in some broken plastic bits where the bolt head fits on the outward side of the spoiler, but the spoiler then popped off the car.

I discovered that:

Some Prior Person was in there mucking about at one time or other, and broke part of the molded receptacle for the bolt head and also stripped the nut edges. This allowed what should have been a "captive" bolt to simply rotate as I tried to remove the nut.

There were a few small pieces of thick foam tape wedged in under the square bolt head in an attempt to make it snug. HAH! I guess it was snug enough to put the nut back on the bolt and attach the spoiler but taking the fastener out was another story. What a half-assed "repair" that was!

The head of the bolt is a relatively large rectangle shape which fits into the molded receptacles on the spoiler. The molded receptacle prevents the bolt from spinning. I put a lock pliers on the head of the bolt, and was able to slowly twist off the nut using a small needle-nose pliers.

5. The third brake light assembly is held in by three prongs and is easy to gently push out.

So, the good news is that I'll be able to paint the spoiler off the car. The bad news is that I'll have to fix the damaged fastener and the area into which it goes, which probably (I hope) won't be a big deal. I may just use some super strong adhesive tape there.

The third brake light did not work when I got the care, so while the spoiler is off and the light is out, I should be able to trouble-shoot why it isn't working. Now's a perfect time to deal with it.

I'll post some pictures so it will be much easier to understand what the heck I'm trying to explain here.

Also, I suppose the other thing I could do would be to get a replacement spoiler that isn't semi-fubared.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dcrothers View Post
    Roof spoiler:
    Three bolts under the seals along the top edge with the hatch open, unplug the thied break light.
    Thanks, I did "discover" them earlier today ! Removing everything would have been cake had I not run into the broken plastic receptacle and stripped nut head.
    Last edited by paul4223; 08-21-2013 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Ah, I see, my advice was strictly for the lower spoiler. Hard to tell because from the looks of it your car doesnt have the upper or lower spoiler! Glad you got it sorted out

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Ah, I see, my advice was strictly for the lower spoiler. Hard to tell because from the looks of it your car doesnt have the upper or lower spoiler! Glad you got it sorted out
    Now that you mention it.... I better do a Photoshop fix on that side view of my car. Or reshoot when the painted spoiler is back on it.