Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32

What is this?

I and a friend that also have a euro-MR S50B32 both wonder what this is. It's the ventilation thing I point at in the picture. I've tried to locate it in RealOEM but without success. Anyone knows what it is?

Per

Nifsta (14).jpg

My Cars
    z3
    Looks to be a hand, or more specifically, a pointer finger

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    I don't know, but I didn't think that was very fun. It's a piece of my beloved car that I don't know the function of. I try to learn about my precious car piece by piece. I therefore poise a question on the best Z3 forum in the world assuming I would get a little bit more help than a for me known anatomical fact... I write in the question that it is what I'm pointing at. That is: directly below my finger. It looks like some ventilation thing. It has what looks like a kind of manually operated valve of some sort. I haven't been able too se where it attaches after it disappears behind and under the intake manifold somewhere. So if there is someone a bit more helpful and a bit less a **** you might be able to help and I would be grateful.

Per

Per

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Part of what makes this the best Z3 forum is the humor. Hold your horses, keep your shirt on, and cool your jets. Someone will come along and help you soon.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    You may have better luck asking on the UK forum that you also frequent as the S50 was never sold in the USA and BF.com has a predominantly US visitorship.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Looks to be a hand, or more specifically, a pointer finger
    BimmerBreaker that was just rude and not really very funny, Kornknarr I'm not sure because I've never seen the S50 but it appears to be a LEFT hand... :-) Sorry

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    BimmerBreaker that was just rude and not really very funny, Kornknarr I'm not sure because I've never seen the S50 but it appears to be a LEFT hand... :-) Sorry
    Your username makes this post the most relevant.

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    That on the other hand (...) was funny!

I just didn't think BimmerBreakers comment was funny or humorous (other in the medieval sense) and felt I wanted to say that. I certainly hold my horses, and enjoy the laughs I get at this forum.

Enough about that.

I will post on a british forum also. I tried here because I thought maybe it could be a common feature between the S52 and the S50.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    There are a few items in that picture that I've never seen before, but I think I can pose an accurate guess that the heater control valve is just below the device you're asking about, but is that the idle control valve__with two (2) hoses on it just below that? I'm asking...

And yes, Eddie, that was rude, but pretty funny!

My Cars
    z3
    Sorry friend, did not mean to rustle any feathers... I just have no idea about anything regarding that engine! To be perfectly fair I wasnt even sure what was trying to be pointed at, I looked on realoem but I was like a puppy trying to control a space shuttle
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 08-16-2013 at 03:02 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    It's not related to air con?

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Sorry friend, did not mean to rustle any feathers... I just have no idea about anything regarding that engine! To be perfectly fair I wasnt even sure what was trying to be pointed at, I looked on realoem but I was like a puppy trying to control a space shuttle
    No problem. I probably overreacted. Internet communication isn't always easy. The closest I've come is that is something related to the crank house ventilation or oil separator. I'll have to check on sunday. Were having a garden party tomorrow...

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Thanks for being a good sport about us clowning around(maybe it's the shoes)
    I'm sure I speak for everyone else here when I say we would be interested to know what you find out.

-Ed

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

One of the a/c ports can,t tell from here if it is high pressure or low.The skinny al tube is high press,fatter low pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    It's not the a/c. The two things below the tube I'm pointing at are the additional water pump and water valve for the heater.
    The closest I've got is this diagram, but its not a good fit there either. 99.png

The hunt goes on.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornknarr View Post
    It's not the a/c. The two things below the tube I'm pointing at are the additional water pump and water valve for the heater.
    The closest I've got is this diagram, but its not a good fit there either. 99.png

The hunt goes on.
    Additional water pump? Interesting, but I can't imagine why it's needed, there's generally plenty of circulation force to move coolant through the circuits (cooling water jackets in the block and head, plus radiator and heater core) from the engine driven mechanical pump.

I've put plenty of electric waterpumps on forced induction cars, because of them having an isolated water to air intercooler, separate reservoir, etc.

Oh, and below that (in your original picture) sits the cruise control module, with the cable attached

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Not related, but the secondary coolant system could be for de-icing the throttle body.

That thing you are pointing to looks like it has three ports. One goes up to atmosphere, one goes down to the tube, and the other connects to the air intake boot. There is probably a valve in there too. If I had to guess, it is emissions related, and probably has to do with the charcoal canister. However, that is just wild speculation at this point. It's entirely possible you're missing a hose on the top port?

My Cars
    z3
    I just realized I thought we were in a completely different part of the engine bay... that changes everything. Now that I know we are by the intake AND that you named the other two items that I originally thought you were pointing at, I think its related to the vacuum system...

Maybe the hose going straight down is #9 here or #12 in the ccv diagram you postd: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...25&hg=11&fg=45

Maybe something in here? #2 Connector?: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...03&hg=11&fg=40

My biggest trouble finding it is that the intake elbow doesnt show that protruding bit that the piece is stuck through

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    Sasha will know. He's lucky enough to own one.
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    I have an s50b32 in my garage and it was in my car for a year but i have no idea what all of that is since mine was already a US s52 car before. I know i never had that part when i put it in my coupe.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The electric water pump is for the latent heater system. Basicly, you can keep the heater going after you shut the car off. Say you want to pop in to a store for a few minutes. The system will keep the cabin warm awaiting your return.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    I,ve got one little fact to add to the picture. It is a plugged tube but the bulky little thing on the end is a small valve. When you compress it it opens and I can hear air being sucked in. Obviously some part of the vacuum control system.

Edit: I've got an answer from a Swedish forum that it is a part of the tank ventilation system.
    Last edited by Kornknarr; 08-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    An emergency relief to keep from imploding the tank on "chilly" mornings?

/.randy

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Still no answer? I wanna know!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    It's nr 8 on this diagram, though the diagram shows all angles wrong: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=15&lang=en

Disturbance air valve - but why? But maybe you are on to something Randy. The only thing is that the function ought to be the opposite. The mechanics and the spring would allow it to open at over-pressure in the tank ventilation system.

OK. I'm glad I at least know where it is in RealOEM!

Per

Per

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast