Thread: Fun with Clutch Lines!

My Cars
    Coupes...

Lightbulb Fun with Clutch Lines!

Well, I have tried just about everything on the clutch line front to give me a little better clutch feel.

I have gone so far as to try other clutch slave cylinders and even machined my own titanium clutch rods.

Yes, I am insane. What's your point?

So while I was complaining about how much our poor coupes are neglected in the aftermarket, I guess it struck a cord.

My friend Ben decided to so something to stop my complaining.

Rather than just sell me a clutch line from another car that may or may not be the correct length, out of the blue he makes up a proper clutch line that looks and feels the part.

Notice in this picture you have all the clutch line options for the Z3 in the known universe.

1) Stock M Coupe/Roadster line, complete with the restricting orifice.

2) Stock Z3 Coupe/Roadster line, no restriction because its a separate part.

3) Ben's new RE SS clutch line.

4) Subterranean Enhancement Crew's version of the clutch line.

So comparing the various lines, the stock M Coupe line is obviously a problem due to its restriction, but the stock Z3 line, while better without the included orifice restriction, still uses stock rubber hose and so you get a little flex in the line when depressing the clutch.

So that brings us to the Aftermarket options. First glance tells me the blue line is probably from another car like the E36 M3 as its too long. Granted this shouldn't really be a problem, but the odd 45 degree turn on the end fitting just makes the line contort into an odd shape when you tighten everything down. After fiddling with it for several minutes, I just gave up and left it in a convoluted "S" shape.

I have yet to try out the new RE line, but I am looking forward to giving it a go on the SG. I figure its a great excuse to swap in a new clutch, pressure plate, and that 6 speed that has been laying around for over a year.

So more details to follow with some tasty pictures. I am really excited about it, and I also have a new trick up my sleeve for bleeding the slave cylinder. Stay tuned!
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    So how long before can we purchase Ben's new line?

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I would assume you could call him up right now and buy one.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I used #2, the Stock Z3 Coupe/Roadster line, no restriction on my M Roadster. I did see the line move a little when the clutch was pressed, however the car shifts so much better now.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I would assume you could call him up right now and buy one.
    Actually, was just poking around and I assume Model # SS-CLU-03 is the same one in your hand currently:
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/mm5/...Category_Code=
    Last edited by kojohns; 08-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Hey mpire, can you stop machining rods and machine my M5 steering wheel?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    You have my attention.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Hey mpire, can you stop machining rods and machine my M5 steering wheel?

Thanks!
    Next time I fire up the mill, your wheel will be the first thing on it. The jig took me 2 days to make, the milling should take me 10 minutes.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post

Actually, was just poking around and I assume Model # SS-CLU-03 is the same one in your hand currently:
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/mm5/...Category_Code=
    If that's true, tell Ben to add a "/7" to the model listing. Its only a matter of time before we see a question about whether it only works for coupes

I think one of these should be on order soon.

-Todd

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    subscribed. I got the z3 line in now and i LOVE it, but I can feel the flex

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe Coupe View Post
    subscribed. I got the z3 line in now and i LOVE it, but I can feel the flex
    That's one job I hope to never have to do again after I got unlucky and had one of the bad UUC lines that didn't thread. After struggling with that for an hour or two, i went with the 3.0 line I luckily had on hand.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Brent - how did the new RE clutch line install go? any feedback?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    That's one job I hope to never have to do again after I got unlucky and had one of the bad UUC lines that didn't thread. After struggling with that for an hour or two, i went with the 3.0 line I luckily had on hand.
    It seems that they have a real QC issue with these... having fought with the very same issue last week http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=clutch+hose

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    It seems that they have a real QC issue with these
    I have been playing with UUC for the past year trying to get the right DSSR, quality control issue is an understatement

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    It seems that they have a real QC issue with these
    I often feel UUC has a QC / inventory management issue in general.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    You missed one; this is the one I prefer, as it does away with one potential leak/joint completely (threads onto the end of the steel line and directly in the slave cylinder).

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Grylls View Post
    I have been playing with UUC for the past year trying to get the right DSSR, quality control issue is an understatement
    Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    I often feel UUC has a QC / inventory management issue in general.
    Seems this is too well understood by everyone but myself ;-( but as a company owner and someone that provides software, the question of allowing a problem to continue seems a bit more than foreign [we try to use user feedback as a corrective device, and do exactly that with it, ie, fix the problem in the source, provide updates for download for any that already have that buggy source in their versions etc etc]. ... but I guess everyone runs their company as they see fit ;-( ... when I was fighting to try to get the damn hose to thread, it never crossed my mind that it was a defective part (assuming such are pretty rare); and even after discovering such, never considered that this was a "tradition," a "style" of doing business to produce such, or worse allow the community to come accept such as being fact. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    You missed one; this is the one I prefer, as it does away with one potential leak/joint completely (threads onto the end of the steel line and directly in the slave cylinder).
    Small world: that's the hose (same part # etc - comes as std on '99 2.5L 5sp] that I just replaced with SS hose and am ear-to-ear grins for doing such [though mine has a 07/98 mfg date on it] - I haven't cut it open yet, but suspect it's delaminated badly inside and that's what caused my unable to modulate the clutch problems (which had gotten so much worse over the last three or four months). But do have to agree with the virtue of having one less potential leak... though the same can be said about SS replacement.