Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to change manual transmission fluid.

My Cars
    Coupe

Want to change manual transmission fluid.

Well, i just got a z3 5-speed with the 2.5L engine in it. Any good write ups on changing the tranny fluid? How much does it use? Kind? I'll be searching up threads after i post this but feel free to give any advice to a BMW newbie Thanks!

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Welcome to forum------keep searching---a million threads and post on how much and what oil to use and how to change it.

My Cars
    Coupe
    I couldn't find a definite answer on what fluid to use.

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy147 View Post
    This will answer you------ http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=redline+mtf

Amsoil MTF 5-30, its the most recomended and the best one to use, will smooth out your shifting, http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...n-fluid-5w-30/

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    Mine called for atf...that's what i use

Sent from my Samsung

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by fire2 View Post
    ... Amsoil MTF 5-30, its the most recomended and the best one to use, will smooth out your shifting, http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...n-fluid-5w-30/
    That is a fine manual transmission fluid, and it feels good, but AMSOIL does not recommend it for Z3 transmission. For our transmissions, they plainly state "No AMSOIL Product Recommendation."
    http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Produ...=1997+BMW+Z3+1

The Bentley Manual also warns against using multi-grade oil transmission fluid. BMW only recommends ATF fluids, of which their own ATF, or Dexron III, or Royal Purple Synchromax are examples.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadie
    Just changed mine last night. Went with the Amsoil MTF. Seems to be working fine, maybe a little smoother than with the BMW oil that it replaced. Took just over a US quart.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    And you never will.

The best thing to do is read the threads in the Manual Transmission Gear Oil section of The Manifesto and then make up your own mind.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25

You won't. The fluid half the forum swears by the other half swears at. Some of it boils down to how you use the car.

/.randy

My Cars
    Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    You won't. The fluid half the forum swears by the other half swears at. Some of it boils down to how you use the car.
    I want the tranny to last as long as possible. Purely street/occasional spiritedly driving.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    I just switched to Redline D4 ATF in both my Z3, and my ZHP. Great stuff, shifts super good so far.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I want the tranny to last as long as possible. Purely street/occasional spiritedly driving.

No doubt. That still doesn't supply a definitive answer.

Your intended usage matches what BMW/ZF envisioned. ZF called for ATF. BMW called for a special long life fluid that is the same characteristics as ATF. Amsoil MTL is thicker. Some put forth the argument that thicker is better. Some are happier sticking to the BMW/ZF spec. I've tried both, and I'm happier with the ATF.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 08-08-2013 at 01:28 PM.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post

No doubt. That still doesn't supply a definitive answer.

Your intended usage matches what BMW/ZF envisioned. ZF called for ATF. BMW called for a special long life fluid that is the same characteristics as ATF. Amsoil MTL is thicker. Some put forth the argument that thicker is better. Some are happier sticking to the BMW/ZF spec. I've tried both, and I'm happier with the ATF.
    This ^

My Cars
    Coupe

My Cars
    Coupe

My Cars
    Coupe
    Will mobil 1 synthetic ATF suffice?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There are some here running mobil-1, yes. Anything with a Dexron III rating will be in the correct viscosity range, as is several of the OE manual trans lubes. Pentosin MTF2 is marketed as a direct replacement for the BMW fluid. The choices are wide and confusing...

/.randy

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    i have a 96 and have been thinking about this issue as well. not sure what i should be using.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    You could use what BMW recommends. ATF.
    Like BMW ATF, or Dexron III, or Pentosin, or RP Synchromax.
    On the other hand, you could use what neither BMW, nor Bentley, nor AMSOIL recommend. Multigrade 5W-30 oil-based fluid.
    It is a difficult choice.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    side note, im not going to change the tranny oil w/o changing the diff as well. does anyone know the correct weight for a 1.9 LSD rear diff? during my search i keep seeing 75-90 then 75-110 or even 75-140. anyone know the correct weight for my rear diff? sure i can go to BMW, but they are 15-20 miles from my house and would rather not take the trip for just some oil.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    For the Diff, it depends a little on where you live. I'm in Ohio and used Amsoil Severe Gear 75W110 in the differential based on the recommendation of Kelly at ModSquad Motorsports. His contact info is in this thread, among others: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Amsoil-mtf-WOW. You may want something heavier in a hot climate. Here are a couple of pointers on changing the diff fluid: Remove the fill plug first in case you can't get it out. You will need a pump to get the fluid in there. It might be a good time to replace the drain plug with a magnetic one, such as the Dimple drain plug.
    Last edited by Blacklane; 08-10-2013 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    Coupe
    Ok, going with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. How many qts do i need? 2?

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    i think im going with mobil1 as well.. looks to be the cheapest out of all the big brand synthetics. i think its like 1.1 quarts for the tranny.

thanks for the tip Blanklane

My Cars
    Z3 Track prepped DASC
    Ok, going with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. How many qts do i need? 2?
    Just enough so you have to but two, but its not like brake fluid its OK to store an opened container, use it next time. It was mentioned earlier but always make sure the fill plug is out before draining, and the plugs are tapered I use some soft permatex to seal and don't over-tighten. The first time I pulled my plugs I thought I was going to knock the car off the stands. I use a clean funnel with a long piece of clear tubing and fill from the engine compartment, don't mess with the various pumps out there.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    A pump isn't necessary for the transmission, but really helps for the differential. I used this one that just screws into the oil bottle. Very handy.http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tle-hand-pump/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast