Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: We need more build threads: 00 Z3MC SG/DBO

My Cars
    '01 M Coupe - Rover
    Nice thread, keep it up. Excited to see the headlamps finished.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    ^thanks! You and me both on the headlights!

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Got some good work done over the weekend, unfortunately the entire week was a wash for progess on the Coupe since my DD was down due to a missing cam bolt that was suspected in the oil pan (it wasn't luckily) and my focus being on getting it running again.

Delrin/oilite pedal bushings installed
    Swapped some parts from the center console over (in process of reinstalling)

Attempted to paint some more parts for my retrofit that came out poorly so I will be sanding and reattempting this week. 2 week deadline to a local show and 3 week deadline to DSS are coming up QUICK!

On a side note, I dont think they could have made our center consoles ANY more complicated. Seriously how many screws do you need to hold this thing together and if you have that many if the first palce, why cant you make it two pieces like ever other center console on earth ever made?!

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post

On a side note, I dont think they could have made our center consoles ANY more complicated. Seriously how many screws do you need to hold this thing together and if you have that many if the first palce, why cant you make it two pieces like ever other center console on earth ever made?!
    uhg, agreed

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe, E36 M3(s)
    ^ how difficult is it? I sourced a new grey center console piece that goes around the shift boot because mine has a minor spider web from the mirror leaking on it. Please tell me install isn't a pain in the ass
    ///M

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson535 View Post
    ^ how difficult is it? I sourced a new grey center console piece that goes around the shift boot because mine has a minor spider web from the mirror leaking on it. Please tell me install isn't a pain in the ass
    Oh, it's a major PITA to say the least. Wait until you have some other reason to go in there is what I say, like when you're pulling the entire interior.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Oh, it's a major PITA to say the least. Wait until you have some other reason to go in there is what I say, like when you're pulling the entire interior.
    Agreed. Plan on pulling both lower dashes (Driver and glove box). Radio. Cupholder (etall). Shift boots. pull AC knobs, disconnect the controller from the console. Disconnect all our switches (Blind since you cant get an eye on the back side).

To replace just the shift surround plastic you have to remove all the guages, boomerangs, and upper plastic.

While you're in there I would highly suggest swapping all the bulbs. Two for A/C controls, and the Three for guage bulbs. the guage bulbs are fragile, I broke 3 of the 6 filaments when swapping mine around (luckily just 3).

I replaced the upper and lower platics (radio and shifter surrounds), swapped a guage, replaced my AC bulbs, installed the switch panel in the read for the small useless pocket, and installed a leatherZ armrest and swapped my shift boots.

It is not something I want to need to do again. I'm going to verify all my bulbs are good before 100% install just to be safe because I DO NOT want to have to go into this thing again.

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe, E36 M3(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    Agreed. Plan on pulling both lower dashes (Driver and glove box). Radio. Cupholder (etall). Shift boots. pull AC knobs, disconnect the controller from the console. Disconnect all our switches (Blind since you cant get an eye on the back side).

To replace just the shift surround plastic you have to remove all the guages, boomerangs, and upper plastic.

While you're in there I would highly suggest swapping all the bulbs. Two for A/C controls, and the Three for guage bulbs. the guage bulbs are fragile, I broke 3 of the 6 filaments when swapping mine around (luckily just 3).

I replaced the upper and lower platics (radio and shifter surrounds), swapped a guage, replaced my AC bulbs, installed the switch panel in the read for the small useless pocket, and installed a leatherZ armrest and swapped my shift boots.

It is not something I want to need to do again. I'm going to verify all my bulbs are good before 100% install just to be safe because I DO NOT want to have to go into this thing again.
    You guys are crazy, that doesn't sound bad at all Sounds like a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon...

Ok ok, I had no idea it was that labor intensive and tedious. That projects definitely going on the back burner...
    ///M

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Console is 100% back installed, that is a PITA. I do not wish that work upon my worst enemies.

Box via Fedex requires signature tried to come yesterday at 12:30. Left note saying I'd be home after 4:30, but I doubt they'll be there today late, or take my signature on the slip.

Pulled my alarm since my window relays aren't working right, I think my diodes are in wrong since they arent working at all. Going to get that sorted tonight so I can button up the interior completely today/tomorrow. The weather cooled down a bunch to be painting and rolling around on concrete to be doing other things.

8 days to a local car show. 15 to DSS... woohoo!

Also have the extended leather center console I snagged up for sale in the classified if anyone is interested in it.

- - - Updated - - -

teaser update:

Interior should be 100% installed tomorrow...

My Cars
    Chariot
    Way to go! I'm diggin the socket cover. Details?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    You put your asc and window heater buttons in backwards..car show minus points

ps love the socket plug too

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Ahh, the 3D printed plug from the other thread. Very nice. I guess some people have time for these custom things.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec View Post
    Way to go! I'm diggin the socket cover. Details?
    Sky1Z3 made them. I put more in his thread where he was producing them, you can probably still get them from him or through the company he used to do them. IIRC they were <$20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimjam96 View Post
    You put your asc and window heater buttons in backwards..car show minus points

ps love the socket plug too
    Thanks, and you noticed the two switches flipped, but not the oil pressure and clock, or the black radio/shifter surround in a beige center console? Rearranged to make more important buttons/guages closer to me to my preference. It's custom!

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Ahh, the 3D printed plug from the other thread. Very nice. I guess some people have time for these custom things.
    Devil is in the details.... You guys just wait till I get my headlights sorted... that is the last big thing on my list before my car is road worthy again.

Todo list:
    Reinstall lower dash- driver & passenger
    Reinstall mufflers
    Finish Retrofit (still hours to invest here)
    Tow to my shop for an alignment
    Reinstall Pass rear fender liner
    Adjust ride height (as required)

DRIVE

If I get frisky I might swap my slave cylinder out too. I have one sitting on the shelf waiting to go in.
    Last edited by robb1887; 04-18-2014 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    On your DBO, was your console in beige as well? I like it in black, I might do mine like that.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Yea, it was all beige, and the paint was all scuffed and was missing in some parts showing its age. These black panels look great except for a few small pry marks around the radio, but look 4893140 times better than the beige ones did. I'll have full pictures when the interior is 100% back in.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Interior currently is 100% in (but theres a catch) as of last night.

Got fed up with the wreck of a mess I had made of the garage over the last few months and decided to throw the wheels on and roll it out since it was "drivable" again.

Pulled it out to find that my brake pedal does not travel freely... it gets stuck about halfway through the travel. Dunno whats going on but I thought the Delrin bushing was SUPER tight. I had to pull it back up with my toe! I dunno if this is because I need to bleed the system better to get better master cylinder pressure or of the pedal bushings are just too tight, I'm pretty sure the spring was back on right.

Silver lining? I got to check out my LED 3rd tail light conversion on the car for the first time by myself with no extra tools required!

Not looking forward to pulling that thing back out, that is for sure. Going to do a proper bleed tonight and see if that helps before pulling the panels again

Rehanging the exhuast tonight.

Car gets towed to the shop tomorrow to get an alignment, with no headlights currently. (not sure what I'm going to do about this since its raining all day today and painting in the rain isnt good, and I'm stuck at work till 3)

EDIT: Ohhh and Fedex home deliever guy is a dick, left a note on the 1st attempt to deliever a box (11:15am) with a very awesome goodie in it, saying I can't be home before 4:30 to sign. 2nd attempt note left at 11, where he would have read note. 3rd attempt (10:45am), surprise! no one is still home. Now I have to drive across town to go pick it up... awesome.
    Last edited by robb1887; 04-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Bleeding the brakes is not the answer. The pedal has to return fully by itself. No residue pressure on the master, no brake lights stuck on.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Thats what I was afraid of... PM'ing you since I'm stuck at work

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Got the brake pedal sorted. I'm going to contacting Ireland engineering about it. I think the issue comes from the OD of the bushing into the ID of the pedal. I ended up having to sanding some of the OD of the pivot mount to get it to rotate freely.

A few shots from the last few weeks progress:

Before

After

Old worn pedal bushing versus their new counter parts

The day it was in the 80s the dog was pooped

Re wired and hid the alarm siren

Start of the console swap

End product of the swap

Reinstalling the alarm. Now has remote window up and down and hatch pop.

Mounted my harness and ballasts fornthe HIDs to the motion motorsports under panel supports.

Getting my ride height set, and tucking like a school bus til it get aligned and measured for spacers till the ACS's get rebuilt.

And just before the tow truck arrived to take it to the shop for a proper alignment tomorrow

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe, E36 M3(s)
    Awesome progress! Looks like you're there. How low do you have the GC's set?
    ///M

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Great progress! Let me know how you like the GCs, I'm about to order a set. What spring #s are you running? And for what use?
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Awesome progress! Looks like you're there. How low do you have the GC's set?
    Fronts are 3-4 threads from the bottom. Rears are on 5mm spring pad and the collar with no adjustor (threaded part)

Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    Great progress! Let me know how you like the GCs, I'm about to order a set. What spring #s are you running? And for what use?
    I got them off 2000mkoop he told me 450/600 but I haven't verified the part numbers yet. Aggressive street driving and maybe some autocross to start. Its a weekend toy.

P.S. your shift caps are in the mailbox for tomorrow.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I DROVE IT YESTERDAY!!!

I was grinning alot, unfortunately I had to drive it straight home. Why you ask? My ballast wires werent long enough to plug into my headlights I will have to remount them closer. I picked the car up at 5:30PM and had to race the sun home. I didnt want to get caught out with non-functioning headlights. However, with them in the car, I had a bit of change of heart on how I want to do v2.0 of my retrofit, after seeing them mounted.

So if you have a set of broken tabbed, hazy any year headlights that you're saving for parts and want to sell them to me at a good price, let me know.

Will be remounting the ballasts tonight and trying to aim them after getting them wired up.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Ended up I could make the ballasts work where I had them mounted, just had to rerun the leads and cut a bit more of the driver side air scoopy thing casing. I have headlights parts showing up all next week for v2.0 with some ideas of how to make them better.

Turns out one of my ballasts was bad out of the box but TRS is covering it under warranty no questions asked, I'm praying it shows up before Wednesday night so I can have them aimed before the drive to DSS. I'll be tearing apart the old ballast just out of curiosity when I have some free time.

Had a local car show, Springfest 5, here yesteday. Here are a few shots I have of the coupe from the day.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Robb,

If

is the last minute throw together... I need to come hang out with you on headlight builds. I really dig this set. The city lamps would look great I am betting.

And of course, I love the cig lighter plug.... Youd be amazed how many people have asked about my coupe text one. Im sure the ///M one will get the same attention. Just be sure you tell them where they can get their own!! ;-)

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast