Thread: Suspension Spring Failure

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M

Suspension Spring Failure

I've noticed that my suspension in the rear has dropped. I thought it might be worn shock absorbers since my suspension has around 60-70k miles on it. (TCK SA) Though after checking underneath I've realized that the drop was because of a cracked spring. I suppose rust got to it or I just need to go on a diet.

-Phil

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Ouch. Wonder if TC Kline will replace that for you.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    60-70K on it... and rusted. Sure they will, for the price of new springs. He got his money's worth out of them

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Just got off the phone with TCK and they said this is very rare and might have seen this twice before.
    He doesn't think it's because of rust but a manufacturing issue and will be replacing them.

I first noticed something was wrong when I scraped the butt strutt on highway when there was a dip.
    I don't wanna even think about what would've happened if there was a man-hole cover

-Phil

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Wow... nice.

A manufacturer actually standing behind their product is great to see. I know TCK is great for customer service and all, but most companies look for outs, i.e. "excessive" rust in this case.

Glad it's working out for ya!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Phil, would it possible to get a macro shot of the broken end of the spring? The rust itself isn't likely to be the cause.What can cause the fracture is an inclusion in the wire, or a nick or gouge.

/.randy

My Cars
    Y2K 2.5 , '01 3.0 Cpe
    Also possible, but unlikely, is a hydrogen embrittlement failure, caused when heat treated steel ( ie springs ) are subjected to an electroplating process. HE failures are rare and most spring manufacturers have switched to organic finishes , like Dacromet or similar ( no induced hydrogen in the process ). HE failures are always found some time ( a few days to a few years) after the electroplating process and only after the part has been stressed. There is a way to tell if this is the culprit, but involves scanning electron microscope examination of the fracture area, for the tell tale "rock candy" signs of grain structure boundary fractures. TCK may want the broken pieces back, cuz HE relief is the responsibility of the plater. Phil, you got the buzzard luck on some stuff!
    Suck, bang, blow - that's what it's all about.

2000 Z3, 2.3L Roadster, Blk / 2001 Z3 Coupe, 3.0 , Hell Rot II / 2000 Road Star 1.6L ( bike) Blk w/flames
    '04 Suzuki Savage .65L Grey ( our loaner bike ) / '04 Astro ( HMS Hellion) Ship - see http://thebrigands.com for pics
    / '94 Brand H Del Sol

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Yeah they want me to send the faulty spring back. I'll take some macro shots of the spring when I pull it out later this week.
    -Phil

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Here are some pics of the spring.
    Looks like when the spring broke and the rear compressed; part of the spring pushed down and went over the height adjuster. It took some time but I was able to pry it out.

-Phil