Thread: Largest speakers in kick panels?

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB

Largest speakers in kick panels?

What are the largest speakers that can be installed in the kick panels of a Z3 roadster (mine's a '97) without doing any sheet metal surgery?

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    I have 6 1/2's in mine but it is VERY dependent on the particular speaker and their layout. I had Alpine SPX-17R's that fit with just an adapter ring, but just went to JBL GTO-series 6 1/2's and had to break down and cut out the kick panels and surface-mount them. If you can get 6 1/2's in the mounting points, also be aware that you will have to do modifications to the back of the kick panels to get them back in place. There are reinforcement rings on the back side of the kick panels that are sized for 5 1/4" speakers and will have to be removed to fit over the 6 1/2's.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    OP, this has been covered quite a bit, and I'd recommend you use the search function. Dkindig is 100% correct:

Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    I have 6 1/2's in mine but it is VERY dependent on the particular speaker and their layout. I had Alpine SPX-17R's that fit with just an adapter ring, but just went to JBL GTO-series 6 1/2's and had to break down and cut out the kick panels and surface-mount them. If you can get 6 1/2's in the mounting points, also be aware that you will have to do modifications to the back of the kick panels to get them back in place. There are reinforcement rings on the back side of the kick panels that are sized for 5 1/4" speakers and will have to be removed to fit over the 6 1/2's.
    The basket frame of any given speaker is going to be the biggest limitation. You can probably even find 6.75" speakers in there with the right setup. I've heard 5.25" speakers that have outperformed my 6.5" components, so don't be looking exclusively for the 'biggest' speaker.

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    I have alpine 5.25''spr that perform above what a standard 6.5 will, go for quality over size, you get better sound.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Kick panel speakers are a PIA, the depth is very shallow.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by lennium View Post
    I have alpine 5.25''spr that perform above what a standard 6.5 will, go for quality over size, you get better sound.
    Would you be willing to recommend them?

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrannon7 View Post
    Kick panel speakers are a PIA, the depth is very shallow.
    Actually, the space behind the kick panels in these cars will pretty much accomodate any decent component speaker. The depth is at least 4". It wouldn't accomodate a subwoofer, but then, that's not really the goal in that area either. The main thing I have fought with with the kick-panel location is speaker diameter, and then getting the sound out of the footwells. Since the diameter of any sub that can be installed is so limited, in reality a 6 1/2" speaker is largely wasted in these cars (unless you have NO sub at all). Even if you can manage to fit an 8" sub in the passenger compartment, a 5 1/4" speaker will blend well with it.

I have my crossovers for the upper end of the midrange in the kick panel set flat to extend their response as far as possible and try and bring some of the upper midrange freqs out of the footwell area...
    Last edited by dkindig; 07-28-2013 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    Would you be willing to recommend them?
    Yes, I put in a full Alpine Amp/Head unit/Speakers set up to go with a 11" Focal sub. I also put in 4" Alpines behind the seat, if you are looking for sound improvement putting these 4" behind the seat is the best way to go, these make the best sound improvement over replacing the kick panel speakers.
    These can punch the snare into your heart at 45rms, they improved the cabin sound the most.

PO had great quality aluminum cone Eclipse 5.25" in the kick panels but the Alpine SPR's have much better sound 110rms.
    I fitted the tweeter to the doors but left the Eclipse tweeters there as well and since I had plenty of power from the MRX F65 Amp, I put the Eclipse 5.25" in speaker boxes in the trunk with the sub.
    After being totally lacking sound(even with the PO upgrades) I now have the sound I want, completely happy with the whole set up.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB
    Okay, I've pretty much decided on either the Focal PS130 component setup (5.25") or the PS165 (6.5"), with a Pyramid 6.5" bass driver firing out the grille between the seats.(Alpine HU and 445 amp) The two focal setups are the same price ($350-400), so why would one choose the smaller driver? Crutchfield lists both as "not fitting" a '97 roadster, but then again the only component setup they DO list as fitting is a Polk audio setup...I suspect that unless the units virtually fall into place they are listed as "not fitting". Has anyone had any experience with this type of installation?
    Last edited by johnnyo55; 07-29-2013 at 01:23 AM.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    I have been running 6 1/2's in the footwells and a 6 1/2" Kicker for a couple of years now. I have found my best crossover setting for sub/midrange with this arrangement to be at around 80 Hz. If the 5 1/4" speakers will handle freq's in that range well, then I would strongly consider going with those just to save yourself a lot of extra work. The 5 1/4's should drop in with a minimum of fuss and you will probably get away with not having to modify the back side of the kick panels as well.

6 1/2's in the footwells create a lot of extra effort to get them in. For example, to get the drivers in, the glove box assembly and the driver's-side bolster have to come all the way out, and then the outside edges of those need to be notched out to clear the rim of the speaker. Then kick panels can go back in. If you're lucky the drivers will have a low enough profile that the kick-panel will fit over them, but you will STILL have to cut away the foam backing and use a dremel to cut off the reinforcing ring from the back side of the kick panels in order to get them to slide in place. Without doing that, you face the possibility of tearing up the speaker surround ring reinstalling the kick panels or having the cone making contact with the kick panel during operation. Once the kick panels are back in you can modify and reinstall the glove box assembly and the drivers-side bolster.

BTW, great choice on the Focals. Nice speakers!
    Last edited by dkindig; 07-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8 5-sp AtlantaB
    Thanks for the advice! Trimming the reinforcing rings with my trusty Dremel isn't a problem, and it seems like most of the other work (other than trimming the other bits) needs to be done with ANY speaker replacement; is that correct? What I'm wondering is whether the extra inch of driver size makes much of a difference given the small (cozy!) volume of our passenger compartments. If Focal makes both setups at the same price point, the 5.25 must be more desirable to SOME folks...