Thread: BMW e36/ e46 FSU Blower Motor Resistor from BPS

My Cars
    E90 M3 6M ZCP

BMW e36/ e46 FSU Blower Motor Resistor from BPS

I had a problem with the FSU in my 1997 M3 and looked around for reviews on the progless replacement upgrade that BPS (Better Parts Solutions) provides but couldn't find anything so I'm putting this up here. I got it for $30 including shipping which is way better than the $120 I was quoted at the Fort Worth BMW dealership. It also arrived at my place only three days after ordering it which I thought was incredibly quick for free shipping through USPS. I installed it a week ago and everything has been working perfectly since. I'll keep y'all posted if anything changes. So far I would highly recommend using BPS's FSU.

Also here is a really good DIY on how to replace it.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-Resistor-pack

Only changes I found for this DIY are as follows:
    First when removing the drivers side knee bolster there is a plastic push in clip on the top left side that needs to be pulled out before it will remove along with the two screws. Secondly the foot well air [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]duct[/COLOR][/COLOR] does not simply pull directly out. There are two plastic pins, one on the top front right and another on the top back left side that need to be pushed out and not broken off or it will not go back on correctly. You can see the one that clips onto the back left in the last picture with the arrow pointing at the FSU. It is the downward pointing plastic dart shaped item above where the arrow is just to the left of the zip tie holding the wires.

My Cars
    BMW 325i Wagon, Honda Civic, Nissan Frontier
    I just installed one myself yesterday (7-14-2013) and will update on how long it lasts. It does not have the same cooling fins as the old ones (or newer units that are sold from UK). $29.95 from eBay; figure I could take a chance. Wife says fan is osscillating between fast/slow and sometimes it'd cut out completely. (2-3x past 2 years). Getting to it was a bit of a challenge (make sure your sober) but do-able with only screw-drivers and a #20 torx screwdriver to loosen the motor mounts (as shown in other thread). The unit doesn't fit 100% perfectly back in but it doesn't need to. With the snaps back on; there was still about 1-2mm worth of wiggle room into/out of the socket. But the 5-pin fitted nice and tight and figure it doesn't need that perfect seal because the unit doesn't appear to need as much cooling (no fins again).

With the 2002 E46; there was no need to remove anything else besides the glove box and the plastic part that was right below it. You will get a neck sprain working in that space...

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 evo coupe

battery issues

Quote Originally Posted by williamckuo View Post
    I just installed one myself yesterday (7-14-2013) and will update on how long it lasts. It does not have the same cooling fins as the old ones (or newer units that are sold from UK). $29.95 from eBay; figure I could take a chance. Wife says fan is osscillating between fast/slow and sometimes it'd cut out completely. (2-3x past 2 years). Getting to it was a bit of a challenge (make sure your sober) but do-able with only screw-drivers and a #20 torx screwdriver to loosen the motor mounts (as shown in other thread). The unit doesn't fit 100% perfectly back in but it doesn't need to. With the snaps back on; there was still about 1-2mm worth of wiggle room into/out of the socket. But the 5-pin fitted nice and tight and figure it doesn't need that perfect seal because the unit doesn't appear to need as much cooling (no fins again).

With the 2002 E46; there was no need to remove anything else besides the glove box and the plastic part that was right below it. You will get a neck sprain working in that space...
    hello im quite new to this forum I have a problem with my m3 e36 evo on a 98 reg my battery keeps dying after 3 to 4 days later I have changed the battery but still have the same issue what ive noticed is that if you turn the ignition on and turn of the heater blower to off and then you turn the ignition off when you put the ignition on the blower heater is on now as far as im aware of this should not be happening could this problem be due to a faulty final stage unit or something else please help on the other hand what ive then is removed the fuse no 23 which discounts the power to the fsu and left the car for 4 days and it starts up fine what do you think