Thread: A/C compressor

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci

A/C compressor

Hi all,

Bought a new compressor from Denso, who are also the oem for the car. Anyway, the new compressor has no inductive pickup sensor on the bottom of the compressor like the original one on the car.

There are no place for it on the new compressor either. So:

1. The compressor is wrong
    2. The later compressors in the e31 series doesn't use that switch

Can anybody shed any light on this?

What's that sensor for anyway? Looks like it's there to detect rpm... Will the HVAC run properly without that sensor?

EDIT:
    Did a bit more searching and digging, its the lockout sensor. there are info from other threads here and there that says there might be a wiring kit to bypass this... but no partnumber etc....

could it be CONTROL UNIT LOCK-SENSOR 61358360039 ????

Does anybody have access to the EBA that can get me EBA 9788367

Many thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

Found the answer here - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ch-makes-noise

Still want the EBA 9788367, anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

cmon, no one here has EBA?
    Last edited by affa; 07-04-2013 at 06:42 AM.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci
    Bump for you. Maybe you should be more specific and explicit about what you want. I certainly have no idea what you are talking about with regards to the EBA.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Thanks.

EBA is the BMW dealer application that catalog all bmw accessories and their installation instructions. kinda like the TIS, but for accessories and retrofit kits.

Like the ETK and TIS, some of our member have them.

I need EBA 9788367, which has the retrofit instructions for the R12 to R134a kit. In there I hope to find out what I need to make this compressor work.

My Cars
    2010 Audi A4
    Simply jumper pins 3 to 5 together on the A26 lock sensor in the driver's footwell, bypassing the lock logic. Reference: ETM 6450.0-13.
    Last edited by Mark in SBA; 07-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Mark is a highly respected owner and E31 electronics wizard and have had the pleasure of knowing him for more than 10 years. Dont be misled by his low Bimmerforums post count! 8-)

- - - Updated - - -

I have been able to locate EBA 9788367 (at least the english pages) so email me at wuffer at shaw dot ca and I will forward.
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    '97 840CI

Seems like a nice feature to have operational. Even for the V8s with a dedicated AC belt. When my AC compressor had that unlikely event of seizing I was fortunately only a couple of miles from home.

My Cars
    2010 Audi A4
    Thanks Tom.

Keep in mind bypassing the lock sensor will also eliminate the high-temperature protection logic (Understanding Climate Control, IHKA E31, page 27):

"The M70 V-12 lock-sensor control module also monitors engine coolant temperature. If it exceeds 240ºF (117ºC), the lock-sensor control module cycles the A/C compressor on and off (20 seconds on/20 seconds off), to reduce engine load. Above 250ºF (120ºC), the lock sensor control module shuts off the A/C compressor."

Not a big deal - just keep an eye on the temp gauge and turn off the snowflake if your engine is overheating.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi -93
    Quote Originally Posted by affa View Post
    Hi all,

Bought a new compressor from Denso, who are also the oem for the car. Anyway, the new compressor has no inductive pickup sensor on the bottom of the compressor like the original one on the car.

There are no place for it on the new compressor either. So:

1. The compressor is wrong
    2. The later compressors in the e31 series doesn't use that switch
    My car needs a new compressor as well. Which Denso model did you order originally? Do you know if there's a model available which actually has the sensor or is your model the only one available?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Mr Fling.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in SBA View Post
    Thanks Tom.

Keep in mind bypassing the lock sensor will also eliminate the high-temperature protection logic (Understanding Climate Control, IHKA E31, page 27):

"The M70 V-12 lock-sensor control module also monitors engine coolant temperature. If it exceeds 240ºF (117ºC), the lock-sensor control module cycles the A/C compressor on and off (20 seconds on/20 seconds off), to reduce engine load. Above 250ºF (120ºC), the lock sensor control module shuts off the A/C compressor."

Not a big deal - just keep an eye on the temp gauge and turn off the snowflake if your engine is overheating.
    Thanks Tom and Mark.

I'm well aware of Mark's calibre and contribution to the E31 community from my years of lurking before finally registering and posting. Let me say here and now how thankful I'm that we still have people like yourself ( amongst may other, who may be low on post count but are massive on content) helping us mere mortals out.

I was going to bypass the relay, quite trivial. However, my OCD requires me to explore the factory option/ method first.

Can anyone confirm whether the later ( say 94+ ) 850 ac compressors have the rpm sensors?

Arthur

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
    My car needs a new compressor as well. Which Denso model did you order originally? Do you know if there's a model available which actually has the sensor or is your model the only one available?
    Its the Denso 471-1263 - its the only one listed on the denso website for the E31 with M70. Car originally came with a BMW oem by denso compressor with rpm sensor.
    Last edited by affa; 07-08-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I'm retarded