Thread: Deutsche Parts - Hamburg Technic Rear Suspension Kit - Junk or Keep?

My Cars
    98 528i Sport, 91 318is

Deutsche Parts - Hamburg Technic Rear Suspension Kit - Junk or Keep?

Hey,

It's getting time to replace some rear suspension parts on my '98 528i Sport w/ 140k.

When I bought the car, it received a fresh front end from the PO. I don't know what parts were used, but from what I understand, he bought a full front and rear kit and had a shop install it. Apparently, they said the rear was fine, so he only did the front. Everything is nice and tight on the front. The rear is starting to show its age, and I can only assume that these parts are original.

Now, I have a big box of parts that were purchased by the PO, and after a little google-fu, it seems to be a complete rear suspension kit, like this one. Most parts are in a 'Hamburg Technic' box or bag, and some are in clear plastic. Most pieces have no part numbers.

I searched around a bit, and it looks like this manufacturer doesn't have the most stellar reputation - but I see some people saying that they're OK.

My question is, is should I have this stuff installed, or should I unload it and buy OEM parts? Basically, is it really that terrible?

I have kind of a laundry-list of things to do to the e39, and saving a little money would be nice, but if it's going to be absolute crap again in 15k miles, I'd rather throw down some extra cash and get it taken care of right.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by scottdodge; 05-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    I've never had the parts, so I won't comment, but I can guarantee you 95% of the people who comment will tell you to get rid of the parts lol.

You could always sell the parts and put the money you get towards some lemforder/meyle parts. (50% of the people will tell you don't do Meyle lol---I myself will be going with a majority Meyle/Lemforder mix when refreshing my suspension, within the next couple weeks)

I actually did the same thing a couple years ago. Bought a cheap front suspension kit on craigslist and resold it.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    hahahahahh

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    Junk, unfortunately.
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    NOne
    Hey Scott,

I looked at the link and there isn't sufficient info on who the manufacturer is. The company is located in Manhattan according to googlemaps right next to the FDR drive, meaning they coundnt possible manufacture their own parts. I presume its just rebranded/renamed karlyn suspension components. If you do a quick search on google using the following tag "DeutschepartsUSA" you will find a lot of negative reviews, so it would be in your best interest to steer clear... Try contacting FCPgroton for their Meyle line if you need a better alternative and wish to save a few bucks and they will help you better than this company you posted.

Bottom line, opt for quality aka Lemforder and never look back. If you need better reliability than the Deutsche parts and still want to save money get the Meyle. If you want to be trouble free for the next 50-70K miles get the lemforders. Again, check FCP since they have the best prices on Lems I've seen. I did my entire suspension rebuild buying Lems from them and saved money. You could return the parts you already bought to try and recoup some money. Good luck.

My Cars
    98 528i Sport, 91 318is
    Argh, damnit. Oh well.

So, anyone have any recommendations on kits to get?

Additionally, my shocks are on their last legs... I assume it would be most labor-effective to do it all in one go? Any recs there? Looking for stock-ish ride - something similar to the OEM Sport suspension would be great.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    I found that it was cheaper to piece together a kit using several different vendors. I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't ordered the suspension parts yet, but I will within the next week.

It might be in your favor to look for coilovers(you'll at least have some adjustability), since you'll be spending close to the same amount replacing everything. I ordered BC Racing Coilovers(haven't received them yet)

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Junk, unfortunately.
    Made in China for BMW!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I used these "junk" parts over a year ago - no problems yet - still rides like a champ.
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Quote Originally Posted by bcain79 View Post
    I used these "junk" parts over a year ago - no problems yet - still rides like a champ.
    I'm with bcain79,

My front thrust arms, lower control arms, engine mounts, transmission mounts, Rear suspension guide link, rear control arm.

All from deutsche parts USA, On a e39 540i that's low, On low profile wheels & on Australian roads (Which are not the smoothest)

And so far so good, Only thing I can admit. The thrust arm bushings are a little soft compared to OEM but apart from that everything else is going strong.

Hell, Even my new power steering reservoir is from them.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.