Thread: An in-depth guide to the 6 Speed swap

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster

An in-depth guide to the 6 Speed swap

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility for any damages or losses using this guide, use at your own risk. Torque settings and part numbers used are from my vin LC60461 (99 M Coupe).
    Hey guys,

Ryan (ingalls89) and I have been working on our 6 speed swap for couple weeks now (playing the waiting game now) and if it wasn't one thing it was another. I'm not trying to make this a DIY thread but more of an informative thread on P/N's we used and torque settings for those without manuals. We found it hard to find a good solid thread with good solid info and we had to ask around.

With this swap you're bound to run into snags. One of my transmission bolts looked marred as if the socket off someone's wrench was halfway on and it slipped. We had to bang on the socket to get it over the bolt (barely had room). Also had a bolt snap while torquing down the crossmember bolt. Also on his coupe we noticed some uneven spots on the flywheel so he ordered another twin disk setup from UUC. So we are both waiting on items to return to button up the car. Sh*t happens just trying to help prepare you for it!

I made a google doc (some of the hyperlinks aren't working for some odd reasons but you can click them and see the hyperlink). Or download it as a .xls file and open it in Excel.

--->6 Speed Swap Part #'s & Torque Settings<----

Two useful links we used: UUC's 6 speed guide and Z3 Clutch DIY

Basic List of items you WILL need:
    • E36 Euro 6 Speed / E46 6 Speed (will require clutch for e46 trans)
    • New Guibo Nuts
    • Shop to shorten driveshaft 4" (make sure you have this shop lined up)
    • Shop or seasoned welder to shorten shifter carrier and selector rod 3.5"
    • Something to brace motor from rocking forward (either engine bar or a bottle jack w/ a small block of wood)
    • Transmission Fluid (not sure how many liters but the 5 speed calls for 1.2L I would say 2L to be on the safe side)
    • Good set of reverse torx sockets (E11, E12, E14 are used as well) as a bunch of adapters, swivels, extensions and not to forget torque wrench
    • Grease for the input spline

Things that you could change out while doing this install:
    • Clutch pivot pin
    • Exhaust Hangers
    • Transmission Mounts
    • Guibo (recommended)
    • Center Support Bearing for driveshaft (also recommended)
    • Exhaust Gaskets
    • Transmission seals
    • Shifter bushings
    • Flywheel & Clutch
    • SS Clutch line (will require bleeding)
    • UUC Delrin Shifter carrier bushing or stock replacement

Some notes:
    • both the E36 Euro 6 Speed and E46 6 Speed share the same transmission housing the only differences are the input spline which is exactly why the E46 trans. requires a different clutch
    • The Arrow on the GUIBO ponts to the flange side either transmission or driveshaft side.
    • Don't forget to fill the transmission with fluid
    • I kept the twist that my selector rod had (shifter seems to be to the right a bit doesn't bother me)

Please note both the E36 Euro 6 Speed and E46 6 Speed share the same transmission housing the only differences are the input spline which is exactly why the E46 trans. requires a different clutch. Bolts that go through the guibo are directional. They must go

I do appreciate the help to those I have pm'd. Big up to Wertles who told me about Ontario Engine & Machine and let me know how much to chop. Also to UUC for their 6 speed guide.

And to Vinci for his Z3 Clutch DIY

20130504_165153.jpgDSC_2117.JPGDSC_2118.JPGDSC_2120.JPG

I'll update this thread with any information I may have left out.

-Tony Jajou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jajou318; 05-14-2013 at 11:42 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    My shifter is leaning to the right a little bit, later today I'm going to heat it up and twist it a bit - with before and after pictures.

Here is some information on Wertles setup:

Wertles 6 Speed Swap
    Euro 6 Speed
    Stock Selector Rod (shortened)
    UUC SSK
    Last edited by jajou318; 05-11-2013 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    R32 GTS-4, E30 325i
    Awesome write up man, glad you pulled it off. Now we just have to do mine!

- - - Updated - - -

2000 M Coupe. Totaled 04/10/15

1990 E30 325i

1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-4

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Thanks for providing a clear and informative write-up!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorcrusher View Post
    Haha, have the parts on hand and it's a one day install!

Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    Thanks for providing a clear and informative write-up!
    Yeah I couldn't find a source with p/n's listed and torque settings - or if I did I would still ask or pm to make sure it was 100% correct.

I am going to heat up my selector rod and twist it to get it to look more like wertles setup. Mine is pretty far to the right.
    This is my First gear:

Today we are getting the driveshafts back from Ontario Engine & Machine. Vic has been nothing but helpful. Hell, even when Wertles approached him with his driveshaft Vic didn't have the jig to balance it but went ahead and made it (a lot of shops wouldn't bother themselves to do that).
    Last edited by jajou318; 05-14-2013 at 03:07 PM.