Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windshield glass replacement- how involved?

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle

Windshield glass replacement- how involved?

So, I took a healthy rock to the windshield, and now have quite a large crack. Calling the ins co to get a replacement scheduled, but wanted to get an idea for how involved the process may be, for those that have gone through it or observed.

I know there is quite a bit of overlapping of parts around the base... does the hood need to come off at all? Ideally would be getting the replacement done at the office, but if space is needed for disassembly, I'll have to get it done at home.

Thanks!

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    The plastic cowling cover at the base of the windshield will need to come off, but IIRC, that means the wiper arms will need to be pulled as well. You can do those yourself (battery terminal puller is a great tool to pop the arms off once you remove the bolt holding them to their fulcrums).

As for the hood - there should be NO reason to remove it, unless that's what the installer wants. Any required clearance at the base of the windshield can be gained by opening the hood.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 05-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    Did this happen this morning Matt?

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Be sure to specify OEM replacement. For a different car, the adjuster started asking all sorts of questions about the windshield (interior heating element, antenna, etc) which got me a bit concerned.

-Todd

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    For what its worth, my M Coupe's front windshield was replaced and there were no issues, no questions, ... it was done in a matter of hours after ordering the proper glass a few days after swinging by.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySixx6
    Did this happen this morning Matt?
    The chip happened a little while back. Cracked on a cold morning with the heater a couple weeks back before the business trip to Asia.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySixx6
    For what its worth, my M Coupe's front windshield was replaced and there were no issues, no questions, ... it was done in a matter of hours after ordering the proper glass a few days after swinging by.
    Oem glass?

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    I don't believe it was. They said.. either we can order the glass from BMW and you'll pay an extra ___ (forget how much) OR, we can provide you with glass that your insurer will cover.

I figure since I drive the thing and its not going to a showroom floor or museum, I didn't care if it was OEM. I too had a chip and wish it could get filled but since it was on the driver's side they wouldn't allow it.
    Last edited by RickySixx6; 05-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I just had the Coupe windshield replaced for sand pitting. I'll have to check the brand next time I'm near the car. I believe it was PGW. It was replaced in my driveway by one guy in an hour or so. But the rubber trim creeped a bit, so it was redone at their shop with multiple hands.

My understanding is Pilkington and PGW are the two suppliers. It should say on your current glass just below the BMW logo. I see no reason to pay extra to have the same windshield arrive in a BMW branded box on a dealer truck.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 05-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    I went after market glass. I went Safelite and it was done while I waited. Made an appointment on-line and stopped by on the way home from work.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Be sure to specify OEM replacement. For a different car, the adjuster started asking all sorts of questions about the windshield (interior heating element, antenna, etc) which got me a bit concerned.
    There is no heating element/antenna/rain sensors/light sensors in our cars(thank god, one less thing to worry about). FW829 is the NAGS part number. I would ask for Pilkington brand if going aftermarket. They make OEM glass for Land Rover. PPG/PGW windshields are good too but sometimes vary where they are made, they get away with a Chinese company making some of their windshields and using their PGW logo on it and saying it's "Made in China" when PPG/PGW doesn't have a automotive glass factory there. In reality a brand FY or XYG makes and slaps on the PGW logo.

I would recommend having the molding replaced with an oem part. You do not have to remove the hood - auto glass installers are not body shop guys and it's almost guaranteed that they can't get it aligned for you. Depending on the extraction method might be a good idea to have the A pillar trim removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Safelite also gets away with "rebranding" they slap on their wholesale company (Service Auto Glass). So you would have to look at the actual logo on the glass to see the brand.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post

There is no heating element/antenna/rain sensors/light sensors in our cars(thank god, one less thing to worry about). FW829 is the NAGS part number. I would ask for Pilkington brand if going aftermarket. They make OEM glass for Land Rover. PPG/PGW windshields are good too but sometimes vary where they are made, they get away with a Chinese company making some of their windshields and using their PGW logo on it and saying it's "Made in China" when PPG/PGW doesn't have a automotive glass factory there. In reality a brand FY or XYG makes and slaps on the PGW logo.

I would recommend having the molding replaced with an oem part. You do not have to remove the hood - auto glass installers are not body shop guys and it's almost guaranteed that they can't get it aligned for you. Depending on the extraction method might be a good idea to have the A pillar trim removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Safelite also gets away with "rebranding" they slap on their wholesale company (Service Auto Glass). So you would have to look at the actual logo on the glass to see the brand.
    I was waiting for you to chime in on this one. Lol

My Cars
    Several
    I had mine replaced with the Pilkington brand only to have it receive another stray rock 11 months later. Repaired the crack vs. replaced.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Now is a good time to replace that blocker of a mirror. What I did was tell the glass company get the glass without BMW mirror mount and give them the GM mount. I'm using this and it works great!

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...MAk#ps-sellers
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I know its just basic windshield, and I think the one on my Acura was too. I was just worried they'd get some crap that wouldn't fit right if I didn't request OEM.

Great info on the manufacturing. I'll have to bookmark for future reference.

-Todd

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    No need to bookmark, this thread got added to the manifesto earlier today.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    So, do any/all of the potential glass options have the little VIN window on the lower driver's side section?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Whatever glass this was (didn't occur to me at the time to check, but it matters little, as I'd only use OE BMW replacement) had the VIN window in the wrong place...

... unless the glass clowns that did the job displaced (removed?) the original VIN tag. Either way, lose/lose.

My Cars
    99 M Roadster/07 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Just got a quote for around $590.00 for an OEM windshield install; haven't done a comparison shopping yet...

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Whatever glass this was (didn't occur to me at the time to check, but it matters little, as I'd only use OE BMW replacement) had the VIN window in the wrong place...

... unless the glass clowns that did the job displaced (removed?) the original VIN tag. Either way, lose/lose.
    Thanks Randy. You mean the 'no-talent glass clowns'? I'd almost rather the new glass have no VIN pane than a poorly-aligned one. That will be the issue with using a service like Safelite; I'll have to verify - before I commit - that the 'VIN-dow' is in the right spot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIkiller View Post
    Just got a quote for around $590.00 for an OEM windshield install; haven't done a comparison shopping yet...
    $284 is the quote I received from Safelite.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 05-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I just went through inspecting 5 different pieces of glass. 4 PPG and one chinese kind. Every one had a defect. So I gave up and just told them to get me some BMW glass. Then there is the gasket. Its not the same on the roadster and coupe. So I would just recommend you make sure you get the right one.

The gaskets should not overlap the A pillar. It should fit flush up against it. The crappy aftermarket gaskets just lap over the top of the A-Pillar and look like crap.

I should have the new glass and gaskets I ordered this week, so lets hope they get here before next Tuesday when they are scheduled to come back out and check it.

I ordered Genuine glass and gaskets just in case.

Ordering the glass from the bmw parts store was half the price of the local stealership. Go figure.

Transaction Total: $382.07

That's one windshield, and 2 Coupe windshield gaskets shipped to my door.
    Last edited by mpire; 05-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    So, do any/all of the potential glass options have the little VIN window on the lower driver's side section?
    Yeah they are all replicas of the OE glass.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    The Pilkington chinese glass looks different. More clear I guess. Different bubbles.

PPG makes the OEM glass, but I swear that any PPG glass without a BMW logo is a second.

One had black specks INSIDE the glass between the layers.

WEATHERSTRIP518521 [Part#: 51718399109] Bmw 0 2 81.9
    GREEN WINDSCREEN GREEN SHAD513110 [Part#: 51318400512] Bmw 0 1 194.82

Order Total: $358.62
    Shipping: $23.45

Total: $382.07
    Last edited by mpire; 05-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I had a quote from safelite (non oem) of $250 and with my insurance deductable of $250 I got the OEM glass since I was gonna pay the same anyway.
    It took about an hour at their shop while I waited to replace.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    When I had mine replaced years ago, they told me they never use OEM glass unless it is a brand new car. As long as the manufacturer uses the correct specs, I guess you should be ok? I had zero issues with mine.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast