Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Carpet dyeing..any experience??

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5

Carpet dyeing..any experience??

So i want to dye my carpet in my e46 m. It is grey right now and want to go to black. My plan is to use actual dye. RIT dye to be exact: http://www.ritdye.com/store/professional/black-pro

The reason for using Rit Dye instead of Duplicolor is:
    1. No streaks
    2. Less time consuming
    3. Cheaper
    4. No smelly carpet

Looked around and saw this thread on how someone did it with great results:http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/...page=0&fpart=1

Only issue I have is my carpet has a foam backing and putting all of that into a container of dye will make it soaked and would take forever for it to completely dry. I thought about a hand pump container and spraying it on but I don't know if it would come out evenly of some areas darker than others. What do people recommend I do?

My Cars
    e28 m5, e34 TCD S3
    Have no experience with actual dye but know people who have used the "paint" and it sucks. Makes the carpet hard and you cant shampoo it again as it will take some of the color out with it. You could always buy a new set of carpet pending on your budget

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I have not used Rit on carpets but, I have used it to re-dye brown door buffers black and green army jungle boots black back in the 80's when the green boots were not authorized. What is key with Rit is very hot water and the proper setting agent dependent on what the material you're dying is made of. It explains all of this in the instructions. I have used the spray products with good success as well. I re-colored a dark brown parcel shelf black and the Dupli-Color fabric and vinyl product worked well and doesn't smell after it has dried. I also dyed my carpet and floor matts with it and it is stiff after drying but, that is why you loosen the carpet fibers with a stiff brush and it won't be stiff afterwards.