Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 White smoke coming out of the exhaust

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i

E39 White smoke coming out of the exhaust

Hello,

A few days ago I was driving when I noticed a cloud of white smoke coming out of my car's exhaust. I looked at that gauges and there was no overheating. I checked the oil and coolant as soon as I got home and everything seemed normal. I read in your forum that this is sign of a bad CCV valve, so I had it towed to my mechanic.

When the mechanic checked it out, he pulled the spark plugs and they were wet. After replacing them, there was no change. He then told me that the CCV was fine, that the engine needs to be repaired (new o-rings, seals.. the works). He says that since the piston o-rings are bad, there is water leaking into the pistons and it evaporates with the combustion and that's the smoke I'm seeing. It makes sense, but I need some opinions to know if the white smoke is a sign of needing these repairs or not.

By the way... the smoke is white... not purple or black. It doesn't smell like oil either.. it has a peculiar smell. And when the car is on it's a hassle to take off the oil cap. It's like it's being sucked in by the engine. I appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    I'm assuming the plugs were wet with oil. If hats the case you should have a valve cover gasket kit in an online shopping cart somewhere. Chances are your ccv is bad, unless he really knows what he's talking about.. But a good way to check is to pull the dip stick out while the car is running to check and see if there is like a sucking sound and to see if it has a vacuum.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    ^ I'm thinking CCV too, that would explain everything. That mechanic doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. Pull out the dipstick and start the car, then feel for a vacuum at the dipstick hole, there shouldn't be much at all. If you can feel a vacuum, you most likely need a CCV. There is a more scientific test using a small tube and water to check for a vacuum, but it could result in water getting sucked into the motor if there really is a problem.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    ^ I'm thinking CCV too, that would explain everything. That mechanic doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. Pull out the dipstick and start the car, then feel for a vacuum at the dipstick hole, there shouldn't be much at all. If you can feel a vacuum, you most likely need a CCV. There is a more scientific test using a small tube and water to check for a vacuum, but it could result in water getting sucked into the motor if there really is a problem.
    Yes, the plugs were wet with oil and I didn't have a chance to do the dipstick test but it does have a strong vacuum when you pull out the oil cap. It also sputters when you pull off the oil cap and it spews out more white smoke.

My Cars
    2001 330i e46 BMW
    Hey I have a 2001 e46 330i and last year i had the same problem, all I needed to replace was the oil valve separator (OSV) and all under $300 dollars it's running great now. Now I need to change the fuel pump soon lol

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Thanks guys. I ordered the CCV and called the mechanic to hold off any repairs until it gets here. I'd rather invest 60 bucks in a part and be sure than spend 3k without knowing. If anyone else has any other opinions, please share.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Osv, pcv, ccv all the same on this bad boy haha. You did the right thing, and don't forget the valve cover gaskets! That will stop the plugs from seeing anymore oil.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport
    +1 on valve cover gaskets and CCV. Unless the 530 has been extremely abused, there is a 95% probably the "white smoke " you are seeing is INDEED a bad CCV, and the symptoms you describe affirm that is the part that needs to be replaced. Now, after you do the two items indicated, you need to be very aware of something that may mislead you into thinking the CCV did NOT fix the "white smoke" you are seeing. Please remember the next few sentences: your intake manifold is FULL of oil. It will NOT clear out as soon as you replace the CCV. This means your car will still put out a lot of "white smoke", especially on startup, after sitting for awhile. How long is "awhile" you ask? Mine put out white smoke for several days (after the CCV replacement), .then tapered off to less-and-less until it all cleared out! I need to reemphasize that you will see white smoke for many startups.....just be patient!!

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by larrym3711 View Post
    +1 on valve cover gaskets and CCV. Unless the 530 has been extremely abused, there is a 95% probably the "white smoke " you are seeing is INDEED a bad CCV, and the symptoms you describe affirm that is the part that needs to be replaced. Now, after you do the two items indicated, you need to be very aware of something that may mislead you into thinking the CCV did NOT fix the "white smoke" you are seeing. Please remember the next few sentences: your intake manifold is FULL of oil. It will NOT clear out as soon as you replace the CCV. This means your car will still put out a lot of "white smoke", especially on startup, after sitting for awhile. How long is "awhile" you ask? Mine put out white smoke for several days (after the CCV replacement), .then tapered off to less-and-less until it all cleared out! I need to reemphasize that you will see white smoke for many startups.....just be patient!!

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport
    Gotcha... Thanks! I would've been going crazy if I you hadn't told me this.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    How many miles did you drive it (more less) before the white smoke cleared?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Ok guys... It wasn't fun, but I did the CCV replacement myself. The car is running super smooth... no more white smoke! It seems like that mechanic was just trying to rip me off. Thanks for all your input. My next project is the valve cover gasket. Hopefully it'll be way easier than the CCV. Thanks again!

My Cars
    2009 335i sport
    Find a new mechanic.....all good suggestions here

Sent from my vacuum using BF.com

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Yup... Already discarded him as a mechanic. As a matter of fact, I did the CCV replacement myself a few days ago and, even though it wasn't fun or easy, the car is running great and there's no more white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Hi all, we have a 3 series E46 (2003) 77000 miles and saw a cloud of white smelly (burning smell) smoke coming out of our exhaust. Got the car home and left it for an hour or so then topped up the oil and water a bit and the smoke went away. You think it's the ccv? Cheers finni

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by finni View Post
    Hi all, we have a 3 series E46 (2003) 77000 miles and saw a cloud of white smelly (burning smell) smoke coming out of our exhaust. Got the car home and left it for an hour or so then topped up the oil and water a bit and the smoke went away. You think it's the ccv? Cheers finni
    If you had a cloud of white smoke, chances are it is your CCV. I would suggest to replace it before it gets stuck open for good and the smoke doesn't go away.

My Cars
    2003 540M
    Quote Originally Posted by ranvalo View Post
    If you had a cloud of white smoke, chances are it is your CCV. I would suggest to replace it before it gets stuck open for good and the smoke doesn't go away.
    Can you elaborate on what exactly could get "stuck open." I have a large white smoke "hookah cloud" coming out of my exhaust upon start up but it goes away after about 4-5 seconds of running.

I replaced the CCV, but the CCV that I removed looked brand new and looked to be OEM. Gasket looked new, even took it apart and the diaphragm looked new. I put the new one on just as a precaution and the white smoke continues. I read that it will take a while for the oil to burn out of the intake valley, and I haven't really driven it that much since the fix. So that may be the reason for the continued occurrence of smoke, but it doesn't seem like it is reducing in amount.

Today I drove it to the gas station, and when I checked the oil it was low. So when I opened the oil cap I noticed a little bit of smoke emanating. Does this sound like a symptom of a problem other than a bad CCV? Bad piston rings perhaps?

I would really like to figure out what is going on before I start throwing parts at the car. I have multiple cars, so I may start doing some internal investigations to offer up some more information.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    The ccv modulates crank vacuum, when it "sticks," it makes too much vacuum and pulls oil into the intake. That is very easy to test by just pulling out the dipstick and feeling the vacuum with your finger. If you feel more than a little tiny bit of vacuum, it's a possibility. That tends to be a constant problem, not just at start up. Unfortunately the smoke on start up is more consistent with a bad oil separator valve. That sucker sits behind the timing chain guides and it's a bastard to change, though not expensive. It's over 20 hours of work though. If it really is the "OSV" there is an easy solution of just setting up a catch can on the hose to catch the oil vapor and keep it out of the intake. Just throwing out another possibility to evaluate.

My Cars
    85 635CSi, 13 VW Golf R
    I was also having the white smoke issue upon start up and randomly while driving. Finally parked my car. After a bit of time sitting, when I start the car, it immediately dies off. My local indie shop says it is the ccv. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the issue of car not starting up from this.
    Jaime

My Cars
    2005 E60 530i
    Hey folks, I had the exact same issue on my 2004 530i with M54 with 166000 kms on it (I am in Saudi Arabia). A simple CCV hose replacement was what fixed it for good. Now all is back to usual.

My Cars
    2005 E60 530i
    On my car, my indy mechanic took about 4 hours or so for the work...

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i6
    I'm having the same issue, white smoke upon startup, consuming at least 1/2 quart/1k miles. Supposedly the CCV was replaced 10k miles ago, found to be defective, and replaced again. I feel very, very little vacuum from the dipstick hole. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by five40eye View Post
    I'm having the same issue, white smoke upon startup, consuming at least 1/2 quart/1k miles. Supposedly the CCV was replaced 10k miles ago, found to be defective, and replaced again. I feel very, very little vacuum from the dipstick hole. Any suggestions?
    What year and model?
    If it's your e39 540I, it sounds like the oil separator valve. It sits behind the timing chain, so it's very involved to change, though the part is inexpensive. One cheap easy solution to that is to throw a catch can on the hose for it. That way it catches the oil for you rather than burning it. You just have to empty the can regularly
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 05-21-2014 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport
    Some things to think about.
    1) Replacing the CCV takes awhile for the startup smoke to end , 2) the hose (s) that connect to the CCV should be checked for proper connections and integrity, 3) engine vacuum with a proper working CCV hardware will produce "moderate" vacuum when tested with the oil cap open...not strong and not zero, 4) using aftermarket brands for the CCV has been reported as either not functioning properly or failing shortly after installation.

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    What year and model?
    If it's your e39 540I, it sounds like the oil separator valve. It sits behind the timing chain, so it's very involved to change, though the part is inexpensive. One cheap easy solution to that is to throw a catch can on the hose for it. That way it catches the oil for you rather than burning it. You just have to empty the can regularly
    Yeah it's my 2000 540i. I would have imagined he would have had the mechanic replace OSV that at the same time, he seemed pretty thorough, but maybe not.

I will to a compression test tomorrow, but I have been interested in the catch can for a while. I will look into it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 528i

Unhappy

Ive got an '01 525i with over 300k miles. Ive been getting white smoke and oil in the spark plugs for a while. Ive got multiple cylinder misfires as well. I replaced the CCV a while ago and didn't notice much change. It looked like the one I removed from the car was not the original. My mechanic thought the main problem was my exhaust/catalytic converters so I replaced those. The car performed well for a while but at high speed started msfiring again. Now it has reverted back to constact misfires and smoke. Could a loose exhaust manifold cause the problem?

Also, How does one "Throw a catch can on the hose"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast