Thread: INPA 5.02 Install Error:"unable to create the directory"

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

INPA 5.02 Update Syntax Error Work Around FOUND!

UPDATE: FIRST TRY POST #2!!! After successfully installing INPA 3.01(installer 4.4.7)/Ediabas 6.4.3 on Windows 7(Ultimate, 32bit, English) running on a MacBook Air, I tried upgrading to INPA 5.02/Ediabas 6.4.7 but the 1st step of the upgrade install fails with a 'clang' and the following error messages:

"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\BMW Tools\english\INPA_Engl_?ersetzung_PL2".

Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

...(deleted previous ramblings of frustation)

Work around solution FOUND!

It turns out that that there is a folder named "INPA_Engl_Übersetzung_PL2" in the original installation package's EC-APPS > INPA > english folder. The "Übersetzung"('translation') was showing up as "?ersetzung"('replacing' is not the intended term apparently) and causing the syntax error which resulted in the error message:

"Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\BMW Tools\english\INPA_Engl_?ersetzung_PL2".
    Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Because I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, which can run on all languages, I switched to German as the main language for the OS. This allowed me to see the small, initial language selection window(in Windows setting, before entering the INPA setting) for the first time! I initially selected English for the installation language(in the initial Windows setting install lanaguage selection, before entering the INPA setting), but this resulted in the same syntax error (note: the OS language was set to German, so the OS being set to German was not a cure all). Because the initial syntax error corrupted the existing INPA 3.01 installation, I deleted all the INPA/Ediabas/BMW Tools files, and reinstalled from INPA 3.01, this time selecting German as the install language(in the initial, small language selection window of Windows setting, not the INPA setting). This resolved the syntax error!!! (weekend geekdom prevailed!)
    The installation began to proceed in the INPA interface, and from there(now within the INPA setting) I selected English as the language and further selected the UK rectification configurations and it did not cause any issues(note: the OS is still in German). After the installation finished, INPA 5.02 opened within German and English OS (although with some PEM-init errors below).

PEM-init:
    error reading DMF files:
    File..\prt\english\E3PROTOK.DMF not found

PEM-init:
    error reading DMF files:
    File..\prt\english\E3ETIKET.DMF not found

PEM-init:
    error reading DMF files:
    File %s not found.

I looked up the DMF files in the INPA User Documentation v.2.2(20.07.2000), and it turns out that the two DMF files(E3PROTOK.DMF and E3ETIKET.DMF) are originally in the stallation package files under EC-APPS > INPA > PRT in the following folders(all of which had the same two files each):

ENGLISCH
    ENGLISCH.MET
    ENGLISH
    ENGLISH.MET

I copied & pasted these folders into the C: drive's EC-APPS > INPA > PRT folder then opened INPA. The PEM-init errors are gone!

I'm sure there is a more enlightened method to resolve the syntax error, but not being a programmer, this is enough for me. I welcome a more astute explanation though.

I'm still getting acquainted with INPA without even having a K+D CAN cable for my 2007 320i(I hope the guidelines I've read were correct). Now I feel I can go ahead with a purchase so I can actually use INPA and move on to DIS 57!!! I'd like to register a new battery eventually(as soon as possible).

One indy told me that a new battery install (without continuous power to the ECU) would set off a 'reset'(wipe out previously stored data about the battery) and essentially do the same thing as 'registering' a new battery through DIS, although the time, date, and steering angle would have to be reset manually. Supposedly a battery replacement 'registration' with continuos power provided during the battery replacement would not require the manual resets, for the memory would be intact during the process.
    There are so many that say registration is a must(one spoke of an aftermarket battery exploding in his car's trunk while driving because it was not registered and resulted in over charging?), and there are just as many that say that its a load of balogna(way for stealers to make some easy dough) that I have decided to go the safest route - check for myself if indeed a DIS battery registration actually does something more meaningful than a 'reset' caused by powering down(disconnecting the battery) to replace the battery.

Comments are very welcome.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-01-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

A Better Alternative (UPDATE)

I just found that there is a much simpler solution, that does not require Windows 7 Ultimate or German OS for that matter.
    All that needs to be done is to:
    1. In Windows 7, open Control Panel
    2. Open ‘Region and Language’ > ‘Administrative’ tab
    3. Under ‘Language for non-Unicode programs’, click ‘Change system locale…’
    4. Select ‘German(Germany)’.

Now when you start installation of INPA, immediately the language selection pop-up window will appear and you can get installation going.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.