Thread: Park Distance Control not working?

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39 540i

Park Distance Control not working?

Hi, I have just purchased my first E39. She's a 1996 540i. I have a question about the Park Distance Control, if anyone can help me? Since picking up the car I can't get the PDC to work, I have checked the fuses and they are fine. When I put the car in reverse I don't hear anything (no beeps).

I've noticed after some searching that E39's fitted with PDC seem to have a PDC button on the dash, my vehicle does not have this, but when I lookup my VIN to see the option list, it is listed as a fitted option on my car, I also have the PDC module in the boot and of course the sensor on the rear bumper. Anyone have any idea's of what might be the problem? I have tried putting the car in reverse and listening for clicking sounds at the sensors but I hear nothing. Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    destiny
    Only facelift cars have the pdc button, the speaker for the pdc in the deck may be fubar.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39 540i
    Thank you for the reply, you wouldn't know where the speaker is located would you?

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by gt0336 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, you wouldn't know where the speaker is located would you?
    behind the 3er braking light, in your rear deck

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39 540i
    I've been doing a little research and noticed that my 540i has been fitted with a BMW tow bar. But it appears that this was not fitted at the factory, and does not have a removable hitch. Is it possible that a previous owner may have had the PDC system disabled by a dealer somehow, when the tow bar was fitted?

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39 540i
    Still trying to diagnose this problem, does anyone know if the PDC can be deactivated via BMW diagnostic? When the car is put in reverse I hear no beep, I also can't hear any ticking from any of the sensors on the rear bar. Ive checked all the wiring that I can see and all looks fine, the PDC computer etc is firmly connected. Anyone have any other ideas?
    1996 E39 540i.

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    It can be deactivated...

If you have the front and rear sensor, the software will count the amount of sensors as 8. If it is set a 0, then it could be shut off....i believe....

When I put on my front M bumper, I tried to deactivate just the front by stating 4 sensors...didnt work thou...didnt spend too much time on it since I was not that concerned with it anyway.....
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    1996 BMW E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgarage View Post
    It can be deactivated...

If you have the front and rear sensor, the software will count the amount of sensors as 8. If it is set a 0, then it could be shut off....i believe....

When I put on my front M bumper, I tried to deactivate just the front by stating 4 sensors...didnt work thou...didnt spend too much time on it since I was not that concerned with it anyway.....
    Thanks for the info wheelgarage.
    1996 E39 540i.