My Cars

oil change help 2006 x5 4.4i

Hi Guys,

Bought a new 2006 X5 4.4i and love it! I thought maybe I would challenge myself and change the oil. Is it very hard? I have done lots of oil changes on other cars but this is a BMW so I know it might be interesting? Any input would be great?

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    The biggest challenge with a BMW oil change is finding the replacement oil filter at a parts store, best place is possibly Napa, the dealer, or the internet. After that you can look up the oil type for your car in the owners manual or Googling BMW long life oil for the specific brands BMW recommends. I believe your oil filter will be on top in the engine bay as most BMW engines have it. There should be a canister with a 36mm hex pattern on the lid. Draining the oil is pretty straightforward.

Checking my local autozone they actually have the x5 4.4i filter so you may have luck as well.
    Last edited by ptam; 02-05-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The OP has the N62 engine...so unlike the M54, M62TU, M57, & M57N engines...the oil filter reservoir is actually underneath the engine, near the drain for the oil pan.

But still...its easy to change the oil once you have the correct tools & oil filter kit. As with many things...there is personal choice...but I prefer to use German brand named oil filters. There have been horror stories with some other non-German brand named filters (like STP). But BMW, Mann, Mahle, Bosch, & Hengst oil filter kits come to mind. The oil filter should come with a new gasket and several O-rings, as well as a new crush washer for the oil pan's drain bolt.

Below is a link on how to change the oil in an N62 X5 (oil filter on bottom):

tip - the N62 requires a 24mm socket instead of the long time standard 36mm socket to remove the lid of the oil filter reservoir.

N62 oil change instructions: http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/...lvetronic.html

(images below from Xoutpost.com)
    N62 Oil filter reservoir (below engine)

N62 oil pan drain (below engine)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars

Thanks guys!

So I have a N62 engine? I guess I will find out this Friday...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Yes...the 2004-2006 4.4i & 4.8is have the n62 engine:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    [center]
    (images below from Xoutpost.com)
    N62 Oil filter reservoir (below engine)

That seems interesting is there a drain plug in the middle of the cover so you can drain the oil from the filter before taking the cover off and making a mess?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ptam View Post
    That seems interesting is there a drain plug in the middle of the cover so you can drain the oil from the filter before taking the cover off and making a mess?

great question.... It looks like it does..

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Yes...you can see the 6mm hex in the lid that you remove to drain the oil filter reservoir first, then you unscrew the lid and the filter drops down (the opposite of the M62 where it lifts up with the lid).

Plus, the link provided in post #3 to Xoutpost website shows the entire process along with the correct hex tool sizes needed etc for draining & removing the oil filter, and draining the oil pan.

Images below are also at the link provided in post #3 above on how to change the oil on the N62 engine:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-06-2013 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    that is what is is supposed to be used for, but most of the time the plug either strips out is is sooo tight in there you end up loosen up the complete thing.

after i stripped 4 or 5 of those screws, I just started removing the whole thing. it doesn't make that much of a mess. But I used a rack and had a big drain container.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars

Maintenance

Quick couple questions.
    1. PCV hard to replace?
    2. Spark plugs hard or easy?

Have changed plugs in lots of car but never a BMW. Any special tools? Any hidden clips or secret screws?

Looking at doing a few things this weekend on the X5. Car has 79000 km..

Weekend

1. Oil change
    2. Plugs
    3. PCV
    4. Air Filter (If needed)
    5. Cabin Filter (If needed)

Thanks Todd

My Cars
    Spark plugs are a pain in the ass. They don't use PCV valves, BMW calls them CCV (crank case vent), it's a little different. Although, on an N62, they're very easy to change. It's a round circular cover on top of each valve cover. They have a rubber diaphragm inside and a spring.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Any good write ups on the plugs?

Thanks everyone...
    Air filter DONE
    Cabin Filter DONE
    Plugs DONE
    Oil seperator Still need to do..
    Oil Change DONE

5 hours and 2 pints of beer... :O) Pretty good for a newbie I think... I have to say it was pretty easy except a couple back plugs but had lots of help from you guys! Thanks again.. BMW are number one!

TC
    Last edited by Canadian 850i; 02-09-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Gen8 Accord and 94 530i
    I found this for you http://blog.bavauto.com/10523/diy-vi...o-m54-m62-n62/

It shows the coil removal, and then its just a basic sparkplug socket for removal as with any other car.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    E53 w/N62 engine spark plug change video...found by simply googling simple search word phrase (bmw n62 e53 spark plug change)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUevDgIY5DU[/ame]

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Spark plugs are a pain in the ass. Stuff deleted
    Actually they're not hard. The problem spot is the driver side rear 2 plugs, but they are easily accessible. You have to move out of the way the heater valve with the 2 rubber hoses. The lower rubber hose close to the firewall is kept in place by a plastic guide - slide the hose up. The heater valve is kept in place by 2 upper rubber tabs and a lower central rubber guide. Once the hose I talked about is out, slide the whole thing with the rubber hoses attached upwards. As you work on the sparkplugs, you just move the whole assembly out of the way as needed.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    98 540 89 325ix 04X54.4
    Just did my oil change and even though its great that the oil filter housing had that little drain plug too I was hoping it would be on top like my 540i. Which also messed me up as when I went to change the oil in that car for the first time years ago had a b*tch of a time looking under the car for the filter. Was pleasantly surprised to find out where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com