Thread: Z3 Wide Body

My Cars
    Cars
    Like it, nice job man

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Looks awesome man, great build!

One thing you might consider:
    The flared rear edges of the back bumper can catch air, causing more issues than they help. You might consider trimming the backside of the rear flares closer to the car (this shaping is becoming common practice in many race series).

Just a small input, take it or leave it.
    Your work is really impressive, I can't wait to see the finished product.

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Very impressed with this build...can't wait to see the finished product!

LONG GONE:2003 330i ZHP Imola Red/Black - Turner Motorsports Slotted rotors/ Axxis Ultimate pads, Stainless brake lines, CDV removal/ UUC stainless Clutch line, DIY Clutch Stop, GC Coilovers 500#F 550#R, Vorshlag Camber Plates, TC Kline RSM's, TC Kline Pro Studs, Custom Intake, Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's, 10mm H&R spacers F+R, H&R 27mm Front Sway, Mason Engineering Race Bar, Williams Engineering 3" Stainless Mandrel Race Exhaust, 255/35/18 Square RE01R's.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaway16 View Post
    Exactly! It's a very rewarding process. But you are correct about the pink board. Definitely wouldn't go that route again.

More Pictures. Spending most of my time on the hood right now. I'll block sand the rest of the body when I have a moment. I'm going to be cutting brake ducts into the front bumper after the parts are made.

The radiator is on bespoke mounts and will have a screen in front. The oil cooler is going to be mounted at the bottom, close to the splitter and in front of the radiator. Not much room to play around with.
    Nick
    One of the cleaner brake duct ideas I've seen was to put the inlet for the duct inside the same area as the radiator. (Red circles) Effectively hides it behind the rad screen. It will leave the lower front clean and make it simpler to install vanes for down force later.

Will you make the splitter a separate part as it can get damaged?

Awesome project BTW
    Last edited by osborni; 01-17-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofast View Post
    Looks awesome man, great build!

One thing you might consider:
    The flared rear edges of the back bumper can catch air, causing more issues than they help. You might consider trimming the backside of the rear flares closer to the car (this shaping is becoming common practice in many race series).

Just a small input, take it or leave it.
    Your work is really impressive, I can't wait to see the finished product.
    Good idea. I was thinking about cutting vents but I may end up going your suggested route.

More photos and more work:
    Hood is taking shape. I clamped the radiator vent mold to the radiator to work on the union between the vent and the hood. I sanded the hood surface smooth and glued the piece of wood shown resting on the vent to the underside to define the final elevation and shape of the hole in the hood.

Now I have a hard surface to work to.

Installing a lip at the front to encourage an area of low pressure behind the vent.

Blending in.

Quote Originally Posted by osborni View Post
    One of the cleaner brake duct ideas I've seen was to put the inlet for the duct inside the same area as the radiator. (Red circles) Effectively hides it behind the rad screen. It will leave the lower front clean and make it simpler to install vanes for down force later.

Will you make the splitter a separate part as it can get damaged?

Awesome project BTW

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. I don't really need big brake ducts since the car is pretty light and has big brakes, so that might work.

Yes the splitter will be a separate piece.
    Last edited by Calaway16; 01-17-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I love this build.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

...really looking good....fantastic work.

I think cutting away some of the rear flare is a worthy point..like in the Porsche pic.....even DTM is doing it....

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Awesome job man! Subbed for finished work!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I love this build.
    Get back to your own wide body project!

My Cars
    BMW
    Amazing build! I can't wait to see more!!!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i, 88 325ix
    Love and hate this thread.
    Love: because its the coolest thing I've ever seen.
    Hate: because now I have to get a coupe
    Anyways hope everything works out great for you.
    WTB: Factory OEM Rear Spoiler (See Pic)

My Cars
    '17 M240i
    That's very high-quality work you're doing.

It's hard to tell from the photos - will the radiator vent send a column of air straight up as it exits the vent, or will the exiting air be aimed so that it merges smoothly into the air flowing over the hood, thereby disturbing the boundary layer as little as possible? I've seen shots like yours of factory cars, but have never seen exactly how they channel the air coming out of the vent.

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 528i M, 98 e39
    I havent seen this! But this build is awesome! love the hood/radiator vent! Did you do research on it to know exactly what you wanted or did you just design it freely. Im really liking the whole thing!

1995 M3 Vortech Supercharged

My Cars
    none
    Very nice work! You seem to be moving quickly! Great job!

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

It's hard to tell from the photos - will the radiator vent send a column of air straight up as it exits the vent, or will the exiting air be aimed so that it merges smoothly into the air flowing over the hood, thereby disturbing the boundary layer as little as possible? I've seen shots like yours of factory cars, but have never seen exactly how they channel the air coming out of the vent.
    Ideally the vent would be larger and angled farther back, but as he said, there's not much room in front of the engine.
    Most factory cars have the engine moved down and back significantly, but he's keeping the engine in the stock location.
    There's a gereally a pretty large area of low pressure on top of the hood, especially one as big as the Z3s. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3

This is what you want:

But obviously that engine is very very low and far back. I'm going with the "it has to be better than it was before" mantra. Before I had the air coming through the kidneys and the small opening above the splitter and doing nothing else. Presumably it swam around the engine bay getting hot before finally exiting out the bottom of the car.

I installed those trips in front of the opening to hopefully encourage some low pressure at the exit of the vent. Time will tell. I'll let everybody know how it works after the Summit Point club race in July. That one's a scorcher.

I was hoping to prime the hood today, but it seems we're having a winter storm of apocalyptic proportions. So i've relegated myself to more sanding. I got some single stage urethane paint to paint the plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Wow. I'm honored. Seriously. That is an incredible resource. I wish I had that a couple years ago.
    Last edited by Calaway16; 01-17-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '17 M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofast View Post
    Ideally the vent would be larger and angled farther back, but as he said, there's not much room in front of the engine.

Most factory cars have the engine moved down and back significantly, but he's keeping the engine in the stock location.

There's a gereally a pretty large area of low pressure on top of the hood, especially one as big as the Z3s. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.
    I'm going with the "it has to be better than it was before" mantra. Before I had the air coming through the kidneys and the small opening above the splitter and doing nothing else. Presumably it swam around the engine bay getting hot before finally exiting out the bottom of the car.

I installed those trips in front of the opening to hopefully encourage some low pressure at the exit of the vent. Time will tell. I'll let everybody know how it works after the Summit Point club race in July. That one's a scorcher.
    My sense of it is that this will work. The vent box looks deep enough, you've got a venturi leading to the exit, and there should be sufficient low-pressure after the exit. It's a shame there aren't just a few more inches of room to work with in these cars' engine bays - it would be terrific to implement a solution like the Corvette(?) you've shown.

Once you've got it all together, will you be using wool tufts or flow visualization fluid or something else so that you can see what the air is doing in this or any of the other new aero regions you're creating?

As far as heat goes, my engine bay became dramatically less hot after installing the MA Shaw louver-vented hood & coating the headers with Swaintech's White Lightning ceramic product. It made a significant difference in the driver's chair, too. I'd put Swaintech on any header where underhood heat is an issue.
    Last edited by dradernh; 01-19-2013 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 LIMO
    This looks amazing! Keep it up, looking forward to updates!

Best Regards, Chris

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    OMG I want rear fenders like that!

This is an amazing project, I will definitely be following as it moves forward.
    Great work thus far, if you ever feel like widening another coupe in a more street fashion.... I'd be possibly interested on day.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    My sense of it is that this will work. The vent box looks deep enough, you've got a venturi leading to the exit, and there should be sufficient low-pressure after the exit. It's a shame there aren't just a few more inches of room to work with in these cars' engine bays - it would be terrific to implement a solution like the Corvette(?) you've shown. I'd put Swaintech on any header where underhood heat is an issue.

Once you've got it all together, will you be using wool tufts or flow visualization fluid or something else so that you can see what the air is doing in this or any of the other new aero regions you're creating?

As far as heat goes, my engine bay became dramatically less hot after installing the MA Shaw louver-vented hood & coating the headers with Swaintech's White Lightning ceramic product. It made a significant difference in the driver's chair, too. I'd put Swaintech on any header where underhood heat is an issue.
    I'm hoping it will all work out. Using the tufts is a great idea.

I've heard great things about those ceramic coatings. Did you have to send your headers straight to Swaintech?

Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    OMG I want rear fenders like that!

This is an amazing project, I will definitely be following as it moves forward.
    Great work thus far, if you ever feel like widening another coupe in a more street fashion.... I'd be possibly interested on day.
    Maybe some day. I really am enjoying this process, so another project in the future is not out of the question.

Primed the hood this evening. I normally just do my painting outside but since there is snow on the ground and the hood weighs 85 lbs, I left it on the car and turned half the shop into a spray booth. I may do the rest of the spraying in the shop, although the cleanliness of the shop after using the primer is a bit deceiving since it's so heavy that it tends not to be airborne like the urethane top coats. Here are some pictures:

Last edited by Calaway16; 01-18-2013 at 11:39 PM.

My Cars
    none
    You don't mess around sir!

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    More more more please!

My Cars
    '17 M240i
    I've heard great things about those ceramic coatings. Did you have to send your headers straight to Swaintech?
    As of a couple of years ago, you still did. Their turnaround is likely to be much faster in the winter than it will be once the season gets going.

My Cars
    97 m3
    Wow, that's a great project you have going!

I'm impressed with the speed and quality of everything that you're doing with the car. Good luck on the rest of the build and thank you for documenting the whole process.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast