Thread: Power steering fluid reservoir filter change

My Cars

Power steering fluid reservoir filter change

hi everyone
    I have been putting back all the parts that go into the fluid reservoir after
    changing the filter. please could some one explain how I compress the first
    spring enough to reveal the groove where the spring clip locates, or any other ideas please
    thanks
    Nigel

My Cars
    1999 840Ci Sport Indvidu

My Cars
    thanks expressions
    these are the pictures i have been looking at. the problem is that I cant push the spring down enough to locate the spring clip that sits in a machined slot in the rod that goes through the centre of the reservoir. I have thought about shortening the spring a little. look forward to any ideas
    thanks
    Nigel

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Use a socket or smal diameter pipe to compress a spring, and than insert a clip. You just need to 'feel' where the groove is.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    I put the c-clip on the shaft and use an 11 and 12mm deep socket to slide the c-clip down the shaft, compressing the spring til it reaches the groove - it slips right in!
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    hi there
    thanks xpression, duje,and wuffer
    I will have a go again tomorrow, I tried to count the turns on the spring used in one of the pictures, I counted 12 turns which is less than mine. I think that in the past the reservoir had been stripped down because the filter at the bottom didn't have the 2 rubber seals so I'm wondering if the spring is the correct one
    thanks
    Nigel

Hi there
    just to say that I have got the clip in the groove, have put the strainer in, only to find that the mesh doesn't sit far enough down so that you can put the 2 nuts on at the top. I'm sure that the strainer is all the way down. the only thing I can think is that it wasn't assembled properly in the first place, but that doesn't explain why the mesh is too high now, unless the metal tube that goes on at the top is the wrong one and someone before has just bodged it. Has any one got any ideas. Looking at real oem pictures it seems like I have a mixture of the 2 reservoirs that have the fibre type filter.
    thanks
    Nigel
    Last edited by nigel marshall; 12-24-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    http://bmw8.us/PSF%20Filter%20Replace2.htm

These filters are frequently in disarray; just look at the mish-mash of parts options in the ETK. It's worth noting that there's only one supply pipe to the pump, and it needs to get filtered oil; all the other pipes are low pressure returns. Using whichever combination of filters and gaskets accomplishes that best does the trick.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    Hi there
    I have put the assembly back they way the pictures show, now the only problem is that the spacer seems to be too long. The spacer in the picture does look shorter so I dont know how it all went in. This relatively easy job has turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.
    Nigel

My Cars
    Hi there
    Have finally reassembled reservoir.
    The strainer was not fully pushed down, it took a lot of jiggling about and then it just went down to the bottom. Any one who hasn't done this job make sure the strainer is down, the best way, is to look through the pipe on the side at the bottom of the reservoir, you should see the strainer with the bottom rubber seal that runs around the bottom of it. I know it probably sounds a bit basic but I just want to try to save somebody from struggling like I did.
    Nigel