RM European Auto Parts

Thread: valve cover gasket torque spec?

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it

valve cover gasket torque spec?

I just replaced the leaky OFHG on my 2000 323. I was careful to clean the mating surfaces and remove all old gasket pieces, but I am STILL getting some leakage on the right (low) side of the motor.
    It's an M52, but that shouldn't matter, and my problem is NOT the front or rear where RTV is recommended. I used it there, but my leak is not there. I still smell burnt oil and can feel is on the right side of the motor after it cools a bit. Am I missing something? I'm going to take it back apart this weekend and check things out but I'm wondering if I OVERtightened the valve cover gasket.

Thanks
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride
    00 323it 5mt - daily driver

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    Remember the little rubber grommets around the cover bolts? Replace all of those..

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    Hmmm. Good call. Mine all looked ok.
    I'll check that out though.

Still looking for the torque spec though, before I take it apart again. I couldn't find it in the Bentley.
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    those rubber o-rings on the "bolts" will shrink over time. the new o-rings will be lots thicker, which hold the gasket down. the "bolts" actuatly bottom out.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    That's my problem! My bolts bottomed out. I guess that's probably it for sure then. They bottomed out and I thought they should, but my thinking at that time was that BMW probably engineered them to bottom out so people wouldn't squash the gasket over tightening it.

Thanks to both of you!

Anyone know that torque spec?
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    The torque spec might just have to be "common sense" on this one..with the new rubber grommets, you should be able to tighten them by hand and with a little caution, and be just fine..just be careful if you do actually get a torque spec..last time i got a spec on oil pan bolts, and it was quite clear to me from the second i started running them in that if i had followed the spec, it wouldhave pulled the threads straight out, and i dont like having to do thread repairs when i dont have to

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    Torque spec for the M52 valve cover bolts is 89 inch-pounds / 7.4 foot pounds / 10 Nm. The bolts are supposed to bottom out and then be torqued to that value. Practical experience says just bottom them out and lightly snug them by feel, but if you don't know what 89 inch pounds feels like, feel free to grab the torque wrench.

Warning: torque wrenches can be inaccurate near the extremes of their ranges, so it's best to buy the torque wrench designed for this light torque. SK makes three torque wrenches to handle different (yet overlapping) ranges. I bought the smallest one specifically for this job.

Grommets should be replaced during every valve cover gasket removal...unless you just pulled the thing off recently. They dry out over time and then leak. The second you see / feel a new grommet you'll understand why.

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    Thanks a lot everyone! Not sure why they don't sell all the gaskets as a kit though. The kit I got (Victor Reinz?) just had the VCG and spark plug hole gaskets. Seems like it would be common sense to add the outer ones and charge a couple more bucks.
    Either way, I'll get em, and I appreciate the help.
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    i just did my vcg on my 02 325 today. I just used my 1/4 air ratchet to tighten them. no torque for me. but i do this by trade, so i am used to how to tighten with my air ratchet. the only real thing i torque is lug nuts and head bolts. but to each their own.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE