Thread: Help! Interior lights all just went out (Harness pix)

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0

Help! Interior lights all just went out (Harness pix)

I was disconnecting the harness to my old oem illuminated shift knob and now all my interior lights are out. Not sure if I shorted something or if some other wires ended up disconnecting.
    Here are some pics of the harnesses I found.

This is the harness from the actual knob wires. My thumb is touching the actual connection to the shift knob harness

This 2 wire harness has a grey/red wire and a brown wire

This 3 wire harness has a grey/red wire, brown wire, and yellow/red wire.

sonofabitch
    Last edited by bzaster; 12-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.

My Cars
    03 330xi, 87 325is
    Fuse?

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by TArsen View Post
    Fuse?
    I hope so. Will check that tomorrow.

My Cars
    03 330xi, 87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bzaster View Post

I hope so. Will check that tomorrow.
    I remember one time I was messing with my e30s radio and then the next day my cluster, radio, and windows were out. It was just a couple fuses.

Hopefully that's what happened to you

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    Just did some searching, did I bust my rheostat? What do I need to do with my old shift knob harness so it doesn't happen again? (My new knob is not illuminated)

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bzaster View Post
    Just did some searching, did I bust my rheostat? What do I need to do with my old shift knob harness so it doesn't happen again? (My new knob is not illuminated)
    The fuse is inside your headlight switch so rheostat is broken I guess (I did the same before). You can try to weld it. If weld is not an option then let me know, I have a new one for spare
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by cemalakcal View Post
    The fuse is inside your headlight switch so rheostat is broken I guess (I did the same before). You can try to weld it. If weld is not an option then let me know, I have a new one for spare
    Thanks, I'll let you know about that.
    Besides replacing the rheostat, does anything have to be done to my shift knob harness now that nothing is connected to it? ...I don't want this to happen again.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    My rheostat went out when the lighted shifter shorted. The knob had been loose, coming off sometimes, and some of the wire became exposed.

I soldered a jumper on the rheostat to bypass it. VERY cheap fix. I didn't mind losing the rheostat function b/c I always keep it full bright anyway.
    I used this guide:
    https://sites.google.com/site/turbo1...eadlightswitch

I removed the shifter harness clip and tucked it up out of the way, no problems since.
    Last edited by Scarceas; 12-06-2012 at 05:37 AM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Make sure there are no exposed wires that can short out on the selector rod. I did this shortly after buying my first 99 m coupe and it's one of the most common issues people have. You fried the dimmer switch inside the headlight pull knob. That must be replaced, but fix your short first.

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    I have no exposed wires but I do have those un-used harnesses shown in first post. Are those ok? What should be done with them?
    Thanks for the help

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Is it possible to add an inline fuse to the shift knob harness to help protect against shorts? If so, what size fuse and to which wire is it added?