Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: | 3 Turbos | All Else Being Equal | Testing Thread | DYNO SHEET COMPARISON |

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    So, How does it work? You send the buyer a base tune and then edit it with the ostrich?
    No. The tune the tuner sends is proprietary so it has an encryption. I can't see it in the Tuner Pro RT Software. I can only upload the bin to the DME using that software and the Ostrich.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    I completely understand how a tune can be proprietary and it is appropriate to respect their work but I don't understand how you can encrypt the data/change it's location or otherwise jigger with the data without including the decryption/reader in the binary that you are providing the end user as well.

Hand the end user the binary and the data to run on their pre-existing hardware to drive a pre-existing system pretty much precludes meaningful encryption unless you add some kind of hardware dongle and smear it with resin so it can't be buggered with.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    I completely understand how a tune can be proprietary and it is appropriate to respect their work but I don't understand how you can encrypt the data/change it's location or otherwise jigger with the data without including the decryption/reader in the binary that you are providing the end user as well.

Hand the end user the binary and the data to run on their pre-existing hardware to drive a pre-existing system pretty much precludes meaningful encryption unless you add some kind of hardware dongle and smear it with resin so it can't be buggered with.
    Tuners include their own encryption board. DME -> encryption board -> chip tune

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    When are the rest of the BMW guys who have used the TUNER Pro forum to learn how to chip tune our DME's gonna come out and start "vending" tunes to the community.

Competition will bring the prices down,
    motivate more DIYers to self tune &
    and offer more fascinating carnage.
    Last edited by milKt; 11-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    UPDATE:

The Plan in Chronological Order:

1) Figured out my dual Walbro 255 fuel pumps were failing.

2) Due to the AFRs dipping into the 13s for a second at WOT on the dyno (because my Walbros were beginning to fail NOT due to tune) decided to do a compression/leakdown test just to be absolutely certain there was no issue in order to move forward with testing. ES MUY BUENO! No change at all from after original break-in procedure years ago.

3) Upgrading to Walbro 450 single pump with brand new stock fuel pump hanger.

4) Back to 3" MAF piping and matching Roadkill 80lb injector tune (already all installed) to get a base dyno at 18psi to compare to previous t4 open .58 a/r 6262 18psi TRM Dyno on Dynojet.

5) Cranking up the 3" MAF piping and matching Roadkill 80lb injector tune with t4 open .58 a/r 6262 about as far as that MAF can handle on Dynojet.

6) Switching to 3.5" MAF piping and matching Roadkill 80lb injector tune in order to get a baseline dyno at 18psi swapping in to test the t4 open .68 a/r housing on the 6262. Then cranking up the boost until she stops making power.

7) Swapping in to test t4 open ATP .82 a/r housing on the 6262 in order to get a baseline dyno at 18psi. Then cranking up the boost to the max to test said turbine housing.

8) Thinking about installing meth injection HFS-3 system (already have components sitting and waiting).

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    Race gas?

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GT35Rm3 View Post
    Race gas?
    Above 18psi, yes. Only race gas.

At least until I decide to add the meth injection, yet not sure if above 27psi even if I have a fire hose into the cylinders is safe with meth.

Don't worry...a 6262 won't touch your record.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3
    Above 18psi, yes. Only race gas.

At least until I decide to add the meth injection, yet not sure if above 27psi even if I have a fire hose into the cylinders is safe with meth.

Don't worry...a 6262 won't touch your record.
    How much boost was Luke (gt35rm3) running with pump and meth? I think it was like 23psi...

Just thinking, I remember when you were dreaming/thinking about 80lber stock dme tunes. Now, they are a reality.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using BF.com
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I ran 26 psi with pump and meth.
    -Luke (aka gt35rm3)
    Maximum PSI - 908.290.3571
    sales@maximumpsi.com
    Like us on Facebook!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumpsi
    -Luke (aka gt35rm3)
    See, that's plenty...

Are you seeing this Cam?

Btw, what are you doing up in the NE part of the country?

This is my signature....

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Just thinking, I remember when you were dreaming/thinking about 80lber stock dme tunes. Now, they are a reality.
    Yes sir! 80lb on stock DME was a dream and is now a reality.

Almost makes me want to try a bigger turbo but no...must...control...urge...!
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumpsi View Post
    -Luke (aka gt35rm3)
    Thank you. That works. How big of a nozzle or nozzles?

So no care that I am going to be testing two more turbine housings for the good of BFCFI? Might as well save my money then jeesh.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Cameron, you are awesome. I can't wait to see how the ATP .82 is.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    So no care that I am going to be testing two more turbine housings for the good of BFCFI? Might as well save my money then jeesh.

Haha

This is my signature....

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Cameron, you are awesome. I can't wait to see how the ATP .82 is.

Well I have to thank a BFCFI friend who is letting me borrow it simply for this test for the good of all. He might not get it back though.

Just messin' he will. I might have to purchase one though if it ends up being too much awesome.
    Haha

Sent from my filled Depends after a ride in highboostingm3's car

My Cars
    turbo m3

Well I have to thank a BFCFI friend who is letting me borrow it simply for this test for the good of all. He might not get it back though.

Just messin' he will. I might have to purchase one though if it ends up being too much awesome.

Lmao!

I should ride all the way out to California, so I can fill up my depends.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    THE SNAIL IS IN, LET THE TESTING BEGIN

Special thanks to MAX PSI for the sale and rapid shipping including expert packaging!

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Noice

My Cars
    Lancer Evolution, Supra
    Turn up the boost on that 3794!!! 30psi and you will see what that thing can do...it's not even half awake at 18psi.
    Then:
    Arctic Silver E36 M3 Turbo - Built S52 + T76
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Turbo - Built S52 6766 Torque Monster
    03 Evo 8 973whp/653wtq 9.9@147mph (@818whp)
    94 Toyota Supra Single Turbo 1000hp+++
    Now:
    2013 F30 335i M Sport - 6 Speed Manual - stock!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by M3GSX View Post
    Turn up the boost on that 3794!!! 30psi and you will see what that thing can do...it's not even half awake at 18psi.
    With a 3inch maf
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    Noice

Already sold that turbo. Too expensive to be running around on 30+psi without e85 all over at the pump.It's not 2004 anymore.

The testing is pump only which is 91 octane in my location and in most of the nation. Hence 18psi max.
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    With a 3inch maf
    Exactly. However the 3.5" wasn't an issue. My failing fuel pumps were. I will be back to a 3.5" testing soon enough yet not in this thread.

My Cars
    Lancer Evolution, Supra
    So why did you even buy a turbo that is designed to run over 30-40ps??i, test it at 18psi and sell it? What was the point?

There are plenty of ways to extract more power through a 3" MAF, you can clamp the aiflow signal and run strictly off of VE. Or you can even integrate a MAP sensor which uses a switchover point, which then continues airflow readings off of the MAP after a certain frequency. But what do I know? I just tune cars all day. Just saying.
    Last edited by M3GSX; 11-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Then:
    Arctic Silver E36 M3 Turbo - Built S52 + T76
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Turbo - Built S52 6766 Torque Monster
    03 Evo 8 973whp/653wtq 9.9@147mph (@818whp)
    94 Toyota Supra Single Turbo 1000hp+++
    Now:
    2013 F30 335i M Sport - 6 Speed Manual - stock!

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Though your pumps may have been failing,
    we still know NOTHING of a BMW PMAX blow thru tune working (or showing significant GAINS) on anything larger than 3" MAF tubes.

The mystery is unsolved and speculative. Looking forward though. You can guinea pig for Gjon, Ryan and others to be able to join the 700whp Klub, in addition to the Evangelist Elite club
    Last edited by milKt; 11-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    So why did you even buy a turbo that is designed to run over 30-40ps??i, test it at 18psi and sell it? What was the point?

There are plenty of ways to extract more power through a 3" MAF, you can clamp the aiflow signal and run strictly off of VE. Or you can even integrate a MAP sensor which uses a switchover point, which then continues airflow readings off of the MAP after a certain frequency. But what do I know? I just tune cars all day. Just saying.
    According to Forced Performance on the phone, the HTA turbos aren't just for high psi. Also, 30-40psi is pushed on the EVOs as they are 4-cylinder with less displacement. Bought the turbo, hoped it would be better, it wasn't, changed to different turbo, end of story. Thanks for being appreciative of the 18psi pump testing with different turbo configurations.

Yes, there are other ways to make a 3" MAF work using those techniques. Maybe I would rather just try to go 3.5". My own personal choice. Doesn't matter for 18psi tests. That is for another thread if/when I decide to try higher psi.
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Though your pumps may have been failing,
    we still know NOTHING of a BMW PMAX blow thru tune working (or showing significant GAINS) on anything larger than 3" MAF tubes.

The mystery is unsolved and speculative. Looking forward though. You can guinea pig for Gjon, Ryan and others to be able to join the 700whp Klub, in addition to the Evangelist Elite club
    True, we still do not know if there was any gain on the 3.5" MAF in higher psi or not with comparable dynos on Dynojet. Time will come, step-by-step. First the swap to the larger single Walbro, then after testing more turbine housings, change to 3.5" MAF then test. That is for another thread though.

I don't care about the 700whp Club myself. A number is not a goal for me. I would rather see what this turbo can max out at one day and see how wide and flat the torque curve can be. Again, just my personal choice.

My Cars
    98' A4, 97' M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    According to Forced Performance on the phone, the HTA turbos aren't just for high psi. Also, 30-40psi is pushed on the EVOs as they are 4-cylinder with less displacement. Bought the turbo, hoped it would be better, it wasn't, changed to different turbo, end of story. Thanks for being appreciative of the 18psi pump testing with different turbo configurations.

Yes, there are other ways to make a 3" MAF work using those techniques. Maybe I would rather just try to go 3.5". My own personal choice. Doesn't matter for 18psi tests. That is for another thread if/when I decide to try higher psi.

True, we still do not know if there was any gain on the 3.5" MAF in higher psi or not with comparable dynos on Dynojet. Time will come, step-by-step. First the swap to the larger single Walbro, then after testing more turbine housings, change to 3.5" MAF then test. That is for another thread though.

I don't care about the 700whp Club myself. A number is not a goal for me. I would rather see what this turbo can max out at one day and see how wide and flat the torque curve can be. Again, just my personal choice.
    From I am told by George the FP turbos move a lot of air on lower boost levels over most turbos, such as the standard garret, the GTX and precision turbos.

They begin to light up around 20 psi and move quiet a bit if air from their on.

Jordan has 2 cars to tune very soon currently being built on 3.5 inch maf"s, time will tell along with results.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone gooble gooble !
    ICS Performance Stage 1 soon. (He will not know what hit him when he drops the the hammer) FREE GGM3...

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Handbuilt View Post
    From I am told by George the FP turbos move a lot of air on lower boost levels over most turbos, such as the standard garret, the GTX and precision turbos.

They begin to light up around 20 psi and move quiet a bit if air from their on.

Jordan has 2 cars to tune very soon currently being built on 3.5 inch maf"s, time will tell along with results.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone gooble gooble !
    Thanks for your input. The turbos which seem to be fantastic pump gas/low psi turbos with the proper manifold like a Steedspeed are the GT4088R and GT4094R. Would be nice if I could borrow one of those suckers for testing. Older turbos still kicking ass over the newer technology.

Glad to hear Jordan has two more 3.5" MAF cars. Jordan is a great person, a very hard worker and does what he does very well. He calls me later than anyone and he is 3,000 miles away and two time zones away.

Especially if they are built at ICS, the results will be great because we will know that all other components will be set up correctly for that testing. I don't need to be a guinea pig. In fact, I prefer not to be. I just want to be able to run 30psi now and then. I don't care if it is an already perfected stock DME tune or a guinea pig tune, as long as it gets me where I want to be.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast